Houzz Logo Print
schreibdave

Builder steering us away from finished in place oak flooring

schreibdave
hace 8 años

We are talking to builders about building us a new house. The first builder we talked to said that he did not want to do oak flooring that would be finished in place. He would rather do an engineered or pre-finished product. His reason is that he says that quality oak flooring is very hard to come by and that they have had problems with the flooring shrinking and leaving gaps. He went so far as to say that he wouldnt warranty the job. His explanation is that the oak available today is grown fast in a farm type environment and that it is unstable. Anyone heard of this or had any experience with this reasoning?

Comentarios (17)

• glennsfc
    hace 8 años

This reasoning is somewhat faulty. For example, where does he think solid prefinished oak comes from? It comes from the same sources as unfinished strip.

However, that said, my experience has been that newly grown and harvested oak does not have the density and stability of old growth wood. This is from empirical observation and not scientific analysis.

There is unfinished engineered strip flooring available that will give you the look of unfinished strip and give you a more dimensionally stable result. Once finished, it is impossible to know it is an engineered unfinished product and not a solid unfinished.

Whether you choose an engineered or solid unfinished product, you can have finished in place oak flooring. However, it is a much more difficult task for the builder. Not only does he have to source the material you want in the the grade, width and sawing characteristics you specify, the builder must also engage a skilled wood floor finishing expert to prepare and finish the wood the way you want using the finishing product you specify (there are many finishing options).

The fact that the builder says he won't warranty the job ought to tell you a lot. He can't or won't do the necessary legwork to source good material and may not have competent and skilled wood floor finishing experts to hire for the job. Or, he simply wants to get the job done as quickly as possible. It takes much less labor to take boards out of a box and knock them together, than add to that sanding and finishing time and labor.

An option for you is not to have hardwood flooring in the contract at all. You would research and engage your own hardwood flooring expert. However, that does not come cheap and then you become the responsible party to see that the job is done to your satisfaction. You would have to deal with the flooring contractor you hired for the job directly; the builder would have no responsibility for how the floors get done.

schreibdave agradeció a glennsfc
  • glennsfc
    hace 8 años

What the previous poster said is correct. Both the flooring and the subfloor must be within 4 percentage points of moisture content before the flooring is installed...and what he said about the wet trades and the HVAC system also is correct. Most builders will rush a hardwood flooring job. I won't work under those conditions; if the floor is not conditioned properly, chances are the hardwood will experience prpblems.

schreibdave agradeció a glennsfc
  • schreibdave
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

So it sounds like the consensus is that when properly installed modern hardwood flooring should exhibit minimal and acceptable shrinkage. Thanks

• landeswendy
    hace 8 años

Glennsfc I posted a question to my thread. Can you go look at and answer? Thanks!!

• llcp93
    hace 8 años

We had engineered unfinished 3" plank installed in our home and 10 years later, it is still perfect. Ours was hand scraped, stained and sealed. If your builder is not interested in putting in the floor you desire and doing it the right way, find a new builder.

One builder we interviewed wanted to talk me out of things I knew I wanted. If they want to be the ones to choose the finishes, floorings, etc, then that kind of builder should build tract homes, not custom.

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

Are the rules the same regarding floor moisture levels, HVAC, no painting etc, with refinished engineered hardwood flooring?

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

One question also for the OP. What area of the country are you in? I'm in FL and wouldn't think of doing anything but an engineered floor because of the humidity.

• schreibdave
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I am outside of Syracuse NY

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

So that's not the reason then.

• glennsfc
    hace 8 años

Landeswendy where is your thread?

• landeswendy
    hace 8 años

It's in home repair. Posted last night.

• PRO
    Precision Carpentry
    hace 8 años

The first three comments you had to this thread are dead on.The only thing that they did not mention is the actual finish. If you get a QUALITY prefinished floor,the finish will be more durable than a site finished floor.

The factory finishes are of a grade and application that are a higher quality than can be applied on site.

• schreibdave
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all the responses. We have moved on from that builder.

• User
    hace 8 años

"So it sounds like the consensus is that when properly installed modern hardwood flooring should exhibit minimal and acceptable shrinkage"
    That's not necessarily true. There's another variable beyond control of the installer that will cause expansion and contraction of an installed floor, changes in humidity. Of course prefinished and site finished floors would be subjected to the same fluctuations. This is more applicable to solid wood flooring.
    Regardless of what builder you choose, scrupulous attention needs to be paid to the conditions that are ideal for the installation of a solid wood floor in a new home. These could cost you more in time and money so don't give your contractor the idea that you're willing to cut corners that may come back to haunt you.

• PRO
    Carpet Direct
    hace 8 años

Your builder may have a number of reasons for steering you one way or another; however, in my experience, many builders are moving away from a sand and finish installation of hardwood. A quality prefinished hardwood gives a new home much more value, beauty and even character than a sand and stain installation. Prefinished hardwood has a much more durable finish. For instance, Shaw's Scufresist finish is baked into the wood. The finish also contains crushed pecan shells, which add to the strength of the finish. All hardwoods will scuff over time, but a prefinished product will resist the wear for a longer period of time than one done in place. I wish you all the best in building your home!

• User
    hace 8 años

While it's true that factory finishes are generally more durable than site finished floors, there are floors that just aren't offered in a prefinished format. I sell both types. I tell clients that if they can find a prefinished floor that is close enough to their ideal floor, it's probably going to be less costly, more durable and easier to execute than a site finished floor. If you can't find the perfect floor for you, or you're not willing to compromise with something close, the site finished floor is the alternative. Site finishing also opens up a vast number of options with species, grade, cut, size, pattern. details (inlays, borders, etc.) color and finish.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.