Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28810123

Dresser into a vanity...now what? Finish the top w varnish or marble?

User
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

We are contemplating using this dresser for our bathroom vanity. It is amazing in person but I keep having second thoughts. It is 9 drawer and I wonder if I will miss having at least two doors underneath? Also what tile would work well with this color...I dont want to overwhelm the room w the blue, only as a accent. And lastly, what to do with the top? Seal it w varnish and leave the blue or get a marble top? My budget is going to the bathroom remodel so trying to be smart but stylish :) HELP!

Comentarios (80)

• Cathy Parrish
    hace 8 años

I would go with marble,or look-like marble in white with grayish tones.think would look awesome.if you waterproof the top you would have to keep doing it every so often.faux marble would be less money aND upkeep

User agradeció a Cathy Parrish
  • PRO
    Delicious Kitchens & Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

You'll appreciate the extra height and the drawers... working on a master bath project right now and we are making the cabinet 39" high (not including the top thickness) based on the client height. 32" is too low for most adults, it sounds like you are on the right track: just be cautious of chemicals and oily cosmetics on the marble.

User agradeció a Delicious Kitchens & Interiors, LLC
  • Terri Henderson
    hace 8 años

Being that I am 4'11", I am not a fan of the higher counters. LOL

• Lizzy L.
    hace 8 años

I would definitely do a beautiful drop down sink, but if you like vessels, go with 2 squares or a large rectangle. Round is dated already. A marble counter would be pretty, too. You may be able to find a remnant to save on costs.

• condomary
    hace 8 años

You could make a door/doors out of the drawers. I'm thinking 2 bottom drawers. Take the sides, back bottoms off 2 drawers. Fasten the bottom of one drawer face to the top of the other on the inside with cleats (3 probably). Attach a side hinge long enough to go from the top to bottom of both drawer fronts. Attach the hinge to the dresser. You will have a large opening, but there will be drawers on the one side. To have different shelf heights within your new door cabinet, use a single or stacked shoe rack or something similar. Your door will look like the rest of the cabinet because you have used the front of the drawers.

User agradeció a condomary
  • zeeplace
    hace 8 años

Love it and hope you will post a photo of it when its finished!!

User agradeció a zeeplace
  • dr_j_p_2046
    hace 8 años

Marble top will enhance that piece:) Did that with bedroom end tables and dresser. Not only does it keep those glass stains off that somehow someone makes...its sleek looking!

User agradeció a dr_j_p_2046
  • Christine Paulino
    hace 8 años

square trough sink

User agradeció a Christine Paulino
  • Christine Paulino
    hace 8 años

We are using a dry sink upstairs and a desk down stairs as vanities. Upstairs we will paint the dry sink cream with brushed nickle pulls and the desk down stairs we will add a glass shelf with small shelf cleats and paint it white. We will need to shorten the drawers for plumbing but over all it is a smart choice considering the wood bath vanities cost 400 to 800.00 unless they are big box particle board.

• User
    hace 8 años
    I think a good cabinet maker could make you a custom cabinet for $800. Definitely would not order from big box store or those ghastly pre made vanities they sell online.
  • reginagayle
    hace 8 años

Beautiful dresser/vanity--nice job of refinishing. Glad you're adding 4" feet to the height of the vanity for "toe space" because with the existing moulding at the bottom you'd be stubbing your feet every time you walked near, and without that space you'd never be able to get close enough to lean over the sink and avoid toothpaste, water, makeup, etc. from running down your arms and the front of the cabinet all the time! I'm 5'7" and our 33" master bath vanity height is perfect with an under-mount sink. In our guest bath, we didn't raise the height of the vanity because the vessel sink sits about 2½" above the 32" vanity. Love our beautiful, indestructible quartz countertops (there are lots of whitish styles available). I'd break up the angles of the vanity with the softer-looking oval tub.

User agradeció a reginagayle
  • dr_j_p_2046
    hace 8 años

Sharing about your tub...the farm was over 100 years old when I bought it, fireplace in kitchen living room bedrooms and bath had an old clawed tub. Adding another bathroom for guests was not a problem... and was suggested to update the old bathroom and did...sorry I did:( Taking out that tub was a horrible under taking. Now I want it back! Absolutely nothing wrong with it! I say to those who want certain things..go with your gut with suggestions but keep your own goal in mind:) The sink in kitchen is a happy maid huge was told it had to be taken out to be restored for the bottom and faucet. I stripped it myself and back to its natural color..the faucet was a problem as it sloped so I came up with a cedar wood rounded at the bottom to fit that area. The new system faucet was put in and save$$$$. Love the porcelain top with two sinks:)

• dr_j_p_2046
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

This is Murphy bed was an awesome find! Great for small spaces..single bed pulls out just replaced the mattress...cost me $400. have not cleaned it yet.:)

• Lyone Fein
    hace 8 años

You asked about tile colors also. I would like to suggest a light gray, misty color would work pretty well with the slate blue that you have painted this piece. Even a light seafoam green would be nice.

• PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    hace 8 años

Check your height once you have added your legs. It may be too high for a vessel sink.

I love the calcutta suggested Jackie above.

If you are looking for flooring as well consider the GANI Calcutta Gold with this. It would be beautiful. It's not gold but has a very soft gold vein it with the grey. The dresser is beautiful.

Post a pic when its all done.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you everyone! Why is this such a stressful daunting process lol! I think the fact there is SO much choice makes it hard to decide just one path...I will check out the Calcutta Gold for sure...I have seen it before and did like it then. That Murphy bed is beautiful! Also is there anyway to respond directly to a comment rather than post to the whole thread on Houzz? I will be posting photos would love feedback on my bedroom this week. It is a cedar palace redone lol...but keeping a wall of vertical cedar with the intention of painting and need thoughts on white or gray or black eek! I am keeping the ceilings in the master the rough hewn cedar so needing the wall to be a focal point but just less wood. I have valued all of the comments on here and will let you know when I post that as this bathroom is in the room I will need the next advice on.

• mdcathy
    hace 8 años

Marble top if you use it in a bathroom with one of those cool new bowl sinks---but if you choose to use it in a bedroom, marble is a cold hard surface that doesn't really fit well with a bedroom where you want softness.

• PRO
    elements design.build
    hace 8 años

Be aware that sinks set atop the counter will be quite high to reach into, especially for kids. Maximum height for the top rim of the sink should be 32" to 34".

As well, boil sinks tend to collect grime behind, and can be hard to clean.

User agradeció a elements design.build
  • PRO
    Deborah Broockerd/DkB Design Services
    hace 8 años

Marble would be gorgeous on your dresser/vanity. The blue is stunning & a white top would really showcase it. We just did a marble top on a new vanity & love it. Just a little extra time each day to dry water spots & you will be fine with the finish for years to come.

User agradeció a Deborah Broockerd/DkB Design Services
  • Patricia Earehart
    hace 8 años
    Recycled glass counter top with that beautiful teal color mixed into the chips of glass would be stunning. Oval tub will soften the hard edges of other sharp angles in the bathroom. If you are thinking vessel sink think shallow basin as your dresser is quite tall already.
    User agradeció a Patricia Earehart
  • Christine Paulino
    hace 8 años

trough sink the width and length of the vanity.

User agradeció a Christine Paulino
  • fogsend
    hace 8 años

Very nice color choice...leave the drawers...you will grow to appreciate the ease of finding things when they roll out in front of you! We too converted a bureau to a vanity...after many unsuccessful attempts to finish/waterproof the top, my husband removed his frustrations by pounding on the top with a hammer. This in turn necessitated adding a layer of material to cover the damage. We chose a Corian top, white with flecks of gray and black with undermount white sinks. Gorgeous and functional .....we recently sold the house and this vanity was greatly admired by the buyer!!

User agradeció a fogsend
  • A Fraz
    hace 8 años

We converted an old dresser into our bathroom vanity and put a granite top on it. I can't imagine having a wood top in a bathroom. I love the way it turned out. I think yours will look great as a vanity. I agree with you on the 36" height. I'm tall and there's no way I would have a bathroom vanity any shorter than 36". My husband had to do a little work on ours to get it to 36".

User agradeció a A Fraz
  • A Fraz
    hace 8 años

I tried to post before and after pictures, but they didn't upload.

User agradeció a A Fraz
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 8 años
    Drawers end up being more practical. Use marble or one of the synthetics for the top, but with a co-ordinating colour rather than a high contrast. White would be too much of a contrast. A soft version of the wood colour showing through would work.
    User agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • acostica
    hace 8 años

Marble countertop is the way to go - something white with gray veins which will echo the color of paint. Lots of good options out there ranging from carrerra/calacutta marble to ceaserstone/quartz.

I think a rectangular inset sink like below would be ideal, and it looks like you can definitely fit two sinks on either end of the vanity. Simple large tiles on the floor could work, but a mosaic might be cool too (see bottom photos for inspiration).

User agradeció a acostica
  • PRO
    T.J.'s Painting & Renovations Co.
    hace 8 años

Using a polyurethane spray coating that is a marine grade poly will ensure the vanity will not be suspect to moisture that is inherent in bathrooms. Another option is to use an industrial grade finish paint, preferably an alkyd-base. We use Sherwin Williams All-Surface Enamel as our go-to finish paint for vanities, kitchen cabinets, and exterior doors. This product has great adhesion and self-leveling capabilities, with an almost sprayed look.

User agradeció a T.J.'s Painting & Renovations Co.
  • PRO
    Renaissance Marble Works, Inc.
    hace 8 años

I would do a White Carrara marble top. Hone it, so it wears better. If it is polished things like toothpaste can etch the stone. Therefore, if it is already honed you eliminate the etching problem and if you use a good sealer you should not have issues with staining. I think the look of the honed marble is a good fit for your refurbished piece, which looks awesome. Also, the Carrara is still priced reasonably, so hopefully it should fit into your budget. Good luck on your project and great job on the soon to be vanity!

User agradeció a Renaissance Marble Works, Inc.
  • Marilyn Barris
    hace 8 años
    We repurposed a small dresser into our bathroom vanity so we have both, a round vessel sink and a wooden top. We love them both. If you know how to finish a wood top, like...more than one coat of marine grade poly, it'll last forever with only minimal upkeep.
  • PRO
    Material Girl Slipcovers
    hace 8 años

If it's in your budget, I'd definitely go with the marble top!

User agradeció a Material Girl Slipcovers
  • kiturah
    hace 8 años

I have used marine varnish and it was acceptable. Could always change later. If you are using a vessel sink, your fixtures may be more expensive. You will damage a few drawers with the pipes, perhaps a simple door could be put to cover that area.

• Laura Cavaluzzo
    hace 8 años

I'd have those top two drawer fronts made into a single door, hinged at the bottom to tip out, and install a rack on the inside of the door to store tall, slim items like bottles of lotion or toothbrushes in a tumbler. that way, you reclaim storage space and also allow easy access to the plumbing.

• PRO
    Furniture Re-born
    hace 7 años

if you want to keep the top as is, you can use Marine Varnish-if it holds up on boats it should in your bathroom. It might change the color a little so I would first try on a sample board.

• PRO
    Fog Studio
    hace 7 años

I vote for the marine varnish top if you decide to go with a vessel sink, but a marble/stone/quartz would be better if you decide against a vessel sink, so that you can do an undermount sink.

• PRO
    Bates Design Associates, LLC
    hace 7 años

Love the color! While either perfectly acceptable, I think marble would give it a more classic look and be a bit easier to maintain. Good luck with your project!

• eneguess
    hace 7 años

Marble would have a classic look......but Azul Aran granite with white sinks would be stunning.

User agradeció a eneguess
  • alwaysdesigning
    hace 7 años

Use marine (boat) varnish and it's an easy and quick refresh when needed. It is also a very big and bulky looking dresser. Consider something with a more open look and not so heavy and maybe not so large. We have used buffets and a neat old dresser with an attached mirror in the two houses we built. The buffet drawers all are working and in the two side cabinets I added RevAShelf pull out shelves. The dresser in the powder has two big working drawers. The cabinet guy modified the drawers to fit around the plumbing. Make sure you have easy access to your plumbing. Good luck.

New house in country · Más información

Our new house in the country · Más información

User agradeció a alwaysdesigning
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Yesterday I visited a granite/marble yard and found Caesarstone Sleek Concrete 4003 for the vanity top. A nice gray solid look...mid range tone. Also the Porcelanosa Ona Tile in grey for a shower accent. Opinions?

as shown here...floor tile is a darker grey. and counter is the small sample between floor tile and wall accent tile (ona tile)

• PRO
    elements design.build
    hace 7 años

Fantastic counter choice, though I might have considered a shade or two lighter, for a bit of contrast. A white sink will stand alone on a dark counter.

I put solid surface in my own kitchen and LOVE it. Easy to work with, if you have some experience with wood tools.

I like the tile, too. It accents the angled profiles in your new vanity.

User agradeció a elements design.build
  • Sandy R
    hace 7 años
    I love your choices. Are you going for the rectangle vessel sinks? What is the main color for the shower? the tile accent is a great choice. Is it going to be laid vertically?
    User agradeció a Sandy R
  • burlesonite
    hace 7 años
    varnish always looks good at start, but after years of water splashing on the wood surface, it begins to look awful. stick to a surface that is durable and easy to clean and last. you may think you will revarnish, dry it as soon as water gets on it, but in real life, no way.
  • Rita Adamache
    hace 7 años
    We made a beautiful older dresser into a Bathroom vanity and we have been very happy with it. The dresser had 6 large draws so we put the sink to one side so we would not lose all the drawers. By doing this my husband was able to connect the plumbing by carving out the first draw on the left and therefore we were able to use 5 draws for storage. The top draw that he put the plumbing in we are still able to use it for storing toilet paper. It works very well. For the sink we had Home Depot make a sink and counter made to fit the top of the dresser. It was made of some poly resin, I believe. I had it made to look like able and it has worn very well. Everyone loves this piece in our bathroom. We painted the dresser 7 coats of high gloss enamel white. We kept the handles that were on the draws and it looks very good. All in all it only cost a little more then $ 250.00, so that was nice too. Good luck in what you choose.
  • luckyboy2
    hace 7 años

Great paint job! I would put a thick white stone on top - marble or caesarstone.

Good idea, to make sure that the height of the finished piece is appropriate for you.

• Rita Adamache
    hace 7 años
    That should read MARBLE...... NOT able???? Go figure!!!!
  • Mechelle Dow
    hace 7 años

What color is that on the vanity? Beautiful job.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The vanity is finished in

Behr's Blue Metal.. Thanks!

http://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/test/HDC-AC-25

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Thank you everyone. I have decided on a sink manufacturer LivingRoc....that I think is Amazing! :) and I almost last minute made the "vanity" back into a dresser for our new master and bought a new vanity to accomodate a larger version of the sink I am getting. The sink is by www.livingroc.net and I need to choose between the 27" marble sink or 47" marble (vanity is going to be 72" with counter)..the one I really wanted is a 63" double sink that still takes my breath away...next bathroom redo perhaps. My husband and contractor are probably fed up with me and my "love of everything" lol thats what I like to call indesicion ;)

Here is the sink we are getting....small or larger I will purchase one of these in the next few days. And remember it is going on Caesarstone Sleek Concrete a mid warm grey tone. What size should I go with?

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Oh and YES the tile Porcelanosa Ona Tile in grey will be laid vertically :)

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    the best laid plans....often change. because of timing and space constraints we ended up using a completely different vanity (Ikea Godmorgon in Walnut effect and still in installation process)and changed the aesthetics of the whole room but I'm very pleased with it in the end... here are some before and afters as they stand now
  • mbwrobel99
    hace 6 años

Hello, would you tell me the shower base selection? Thanks, Mike

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.