Houzz Logo Print
hlspring

What to do with fireplace mantle and bookcases

Heather S
hace 8 años

Does this fireplace mantle have the proper decor? Abd I'm wondering if I should add bookcases to the sides or leave it without. If I should add bookcases, what recommendations do you have (style, color, etc)? The fireplace is definitely the focus of the living room and needs some style.

Comentarios (28)

• PRO
    paul martin
    hace 8 años

Since the fireplace is the focal point, you should not have anything that distracts the eye from that objective. The clock definitely is a distraction. It is over-sized and too big for your relatively low ceilings. In terms of bookcases, are you thinking of two that would flank the fireplace? Also is that black union on the right a media console? I think you need to finalize the placement of the seating first ( the sofa and any other pieces in relation to the fireplace ) before tackling additional decor on the walls. In terms of styling the fireplace, perhaps start with a mirror and then layer in pieces that pick up the red brick of the fireplace. The two red vases are too intense and grab your eye.

• birdsong22
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I agree with Paul- the clock is definitely too big, the vases too red, plus the hearth is too cluttered. Rust-colored vases would be a better look, and a properly-sized (for the low ceiling) horizontal mirror, painting, sculpture (like metal wall art), textile, etc. above the fireplace would look good. If you are keeping the blue chairs, use just a little of that color in your fireplace decorations too for repetition and to pull it all together; the rust and blue should also be somewhere on your shelving unit on the right as well.

Since the hearth is about floor level, I would just use a small amount of decor on one side of the fireplace, and balance the mantle dec on the opposite side as a bit 'heavier', such as 3 pieces, and use a bit less on the other side, maybe 2 pieces.

If you are keeping the shelving/entertainment center? on the right, replacing or painting (with heat-rated paint) the fireplace insert/screen a dark color to match would update the look and make it a bit more tailored; it also is that repetition again.

If you do bookcases around the fireplace, you would need to make them low or you will have to deal with the side profiles of the mantel, which is very nice as is. I know I have seen other Houzz posts on dealing with this- you might do a search if you haven't already and save what you like to an IdeaBook. Also, the room may be too small to have a big entertainment center and then a lot of shelves around the fireplace- hard to tell in one picture. If you did fireplace shelves, they probably would need to be white, so low might make an interesting wall.

I really love your wall color, but the color of the chairs does not seem to go well on my computer screen- maybe it is better in person? The blue chairs do look good with the color of the fireplace bricks though. You could possibly slipcover them if the color does not go well with the paint color, or even change the color of the walls.

• Heather S
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks paul martin and birdsong22! I'm struggling with everything in the living room right now and finding the right mix is difficult. I should have cropped the black bookcase out of the photo. It is a piece I had in the living room that I have moved over in an attempt to start fresh with this room entirely. Same issue with the furniture/chairs on the left - I pushed them over so I could concentrate on just the fireplace for a bit, hoping that if I could conquer one update it would help some of the other issues in the room to come together easier. I love that clock - do you think I could move it over to the wall to the left and place it a bit lower on the wall?
    I also really like the lamp and the size/placement of the art and vases in the recommendation from groveraxle. I'll check on the site to see about low bookcases to the sides of the fireplace, while keeping the mantle profile intact.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 8 años

I have an off topic question. How do you tag people in comments? Seems pros can't do that? Not sure.

• PRO
    reDécor.me
    hace 8 años

I am doing a house and have similar wall. Just found this and I think its a nice idea for one of your corners ;) Maybe a taller lamp would do and will be very nice in the evening. If you are using a fireplace, maybe a large basket for logs on the other side would be nice... just an idea..

Belmont, Donnybrook · Más información

• PRO
    paul martin
    hace 8 años

The clock will overpower anything around it because of it's scale and the color as well. Perhaps a wall where you do not plan to have anything else or a wall with bookcases and more functional pieces. Even above a sofa the clock can overpower anything below it. If you are OK with it being the focal point in a conversation area provided that the clockwise have a decent amount of negative space around it. I can see the clock in an area with a tall, arched ceiling like a landing in a stairwell or in a room with at least 12 foot ceilings.

In terms of the fireplace, if you have a photo with the seating in around it all set up would be helpful in terms of accessorizing. For color, seeing the sofa, chair and rug would be beneficial.

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

@KShoa, what do you mean by "tag someone in comments"? I don't know what that is.

@Heather, I agree with Paul. That clock needs a great big wall with nothing else on it.

Eureka Street House · Más información

• Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Can you please post a picture of the entire room and your intended floor plan?

And I do love the console idea on either side of FP as shown above, but what function do you want the room to have. Functional or refined; if you are opting for book shelves do you want open or closed? Curious to know what use you want for the room.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 8 años

@groveraxle, if you see the 4th comment on this post, @Heather has "tagged" a bunch of people (including you) that creates a link to your profile. I can't seem to be able to do that. On Facebook you put an @ sign in front of the handle and it does it for you, but not here.

• Heather S
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi KShoa - I actually copy/pasted the name into the text box here to allow for the auto link to your profile. I don't think it flags the person who was tagged, but it is a nice easy way to include their profile name and link.

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    hace 8 años
    HI

I have several ideas and suggestions:

Paint the red brick to match your trim

Get a new fireplace screen or paint that one

Get a painting or large mirror on top of mantle.

Possibly add a larger set of vases or candlesticks grouped in one side together for more height

I think bookcases would look nice but in order to create a unique space I would do furniture style bookcases with actual legs so it gives it a nice statement style

I hope these help!

Nice space.

Best of luck to you.

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on HOUZZ. It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 8 años

Spray paint the clock a light metallic colour like champagne gold or rose gold, and move it to a bigger wall.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

I would like to see the entire room, I think you need maybe a new arrangement for the furniture. Can you move the chairs to each side of FP?

Bring in some art with that color accent

• connie912
    hace 8 años
    Susan to the rescue! Her designs are always pleasing to the eye and her solutions workable. Looks great!
  • PRO
    InsideWright
    hace 8 años

Hello Heather,

This is how I brought attention to a fireplace in a house in NJ. The modern tile isn't for everyone, but it's an idea, and it's not permanent. The tiles are hanging with 3M picture hangers believe it or not. The gold on the existing fireplace screen was painted with a black paint marker to make it more contemporary without having to replace it.

I agree with everyone who said the clock draws too much attention away from the fireplace.

As for the bookcases on either side, do you need bookcases? Will you fill them with books or decor items? If the later I wouldn't bother. If the former, maybe the book cases only go as high as the FP mantle and you give yourself a nice long mantle/shelf to display items on. Something to consider with the book cases is, unless you plan on contracting built in book cases, they will protrude from the wall and pull attention away from the fireplace.

In terms of furniture, I agree with susan2494's idea of putting occasional chairs on either side of the FP, the symmetry draws attention to the FP focal point.

Aside from the clock, I don't mind your red vases. The living room that the attached fireplace lives in, is also grey with red accents, so I'm a fan :) however, I would bring the bright red into the room with some other decor pieces ... nothing major, maybe pillows for the couch or small end tables, or a decorative bowl on a coffee table.

Honestly, if you want to keep the brick natural, I think all you need to do to draw more attention to your fireplace is paint the frame of the screen white (or replace it with a white screen), and move the clock to another wall. Making all of the decor items on the mantle shades of white would be an added, elegant, pop.

Good luck.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 8 años

Thank you Heather S. Testing and it works. I feel silly now :-)

Good luck with the space.

• Heather S
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

susan2494, you actually helped me a few weeks ago with some suggestions for my overloaded living room :) I took EVERYTHING out and started by putting back only the main items. I used part of your layout suggestion when I put the sofa and chair back together, but flipped the room a bit. Here are some pictures. I actually just added the curtains and the bookcases in this afternoon after leaving them out for a few days to see if they would work in the room. (the original photo of the fireplace from this thread was taken without the bookcases in the room)

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Ok, I pulled up your old plan I did and arranged it on the TV end how you have it now. I like it.

For the other end I would put blue chairs by FP and white chairs behind sofa. Get a big rd ottoman for the center of the seating area..

Remove clock and use art over FP. I think the bookcases are too tall for beside the FP. Better to have a lamp behind chair on left of FP and hang art or mirror over other chair.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Tell me what you think.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 8 años

About politics, or religion? (We are getting your American News. Wow.)

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

Much better and more calming now, but I'd rather see that large piece of art above the mantel instead of the clock. I'm not a fan of big box store battery clocks as decor. If you still need a pair of bookcases they'll work nicely if you use the same sized ones flanking the window. I do think the white boxy chair is the "odd man out" here and would remove it, pulling the two blue chairs closer to the FP and settling them on a nice rug.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

I found this mirror thought it might be nice over FP

https://www.jossandmain.com/Garett-Wall-Mirror-MI12398-SYL1647.html?ds=27421

• tatts
    hace 8 años

Sooooo tired of oversized faux-antique clocks--made in China--of pot metal and plastic, sold at discount décor stores.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Nice to have chests on either side of fireplace and accessories/lamps on top.

• Heather S
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

How about something like this for the mantle? I know the vases aren't quite right, but I was playing around with pieces I have.

And I was considering this for the fireplace screen, but am unsure if I can remove the glass doors that are currently on my fireplace?

http://m.crateandbarrel.com/chevron-fireplace-screen/s231343

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Yup, that art is perfect. Keep one tall vase and put something squattier on the other side. Try the roundish red vase you had there before.

That chevron fireplace screen is awesome, but I don't think it's necessary and I'm afraid the chevrons and the bricks together may create a dizzying pattern. I don't even mind the brass doors on your fireplace, though I usually advise people to paint it black. In this case, I think they look fine.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

Yes, that's the ticket with the mantel, but hang the art 5" above it. Use only one vase (maybe the dark one in winter and the white one in summer;) I don't think they need any foliage. Use a set of contemporary candlesticks on the other side. If you're going to leave the black bookcases there, you might consider painting the brass screen black. They say brass is coming back, but I think it works in a more classic setting than the vibe your furnishings are taking the space. Agree that the chevron and brick will be a bit disorienting. You might tile over the brick though.

Mikasa Serpentine Candlestick Holders (Set of 3) · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.