Houzz Logo Print
prettypurrinkitten9

Tear out half wall or not

Just bought this home and we are seriously considering tearing down this half wall to open the home up. I believe the column is load bearing. How would this look with the column still there? We will be extending the flooring into the kitchen so that it all matches...

Comentarios (11)

• emilyam819
    hace 8 años

A big arched opening would look strange next to a small arched opening. Can you budget some $$$ to put in a beam to span the whole opening? Or you can easily close off the small opening and have just the large one.

prettypurrinkitten9 agradeció a emilyam819
  • prettypurrinkitten9
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes, I'd like to even out the top so that it's straight and not arched anymore. Would it look odd to have the column still there?

• emilyam819
    hace 8 años

The column is not ideal.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

prettypurrinkitten9 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

a contractor can help you sort out whether you can easily support the wall without the column. even columns on each side a foot or two out with the middle open.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

Which flooring will you extend. The wood? The flooring looks the same from the dining area into the kitchen already. I like your idea of opening this up & if you must keep the column, do add another on the other side close to the wall. Going straight across for both the door & the section between the columns. Check with a structural engineer for what or how much you can do. For sure change out the chandelier from the one that is showing in your photo if it's in your house.

• PRO
    BY Building Design
    hace 7 años
    First I would remove the wall and open the space.
    Second, at first look the portion of wall between the arched doorway and the short wall may not be load bearing.
    If there was a beam I would expect it to be at least 10" in height and you maybe only have 8". Is this a 2 story home and if not is there any roof framing or trusses sitting on that wall?
    Chances are it is not load bearing so can be removed with any electrical being re-routed through ceiling.
    If it is bearing than portion of small wall may have a post in it down to a square footing under the post. This means you can not simple move the post. A new footing would have to be added or add a beam to span the whole distance. If beam is not continuous then you could not move the post unless you changed the beam.
    So the answer is get a contractor to come verify if wall is bearing or non- bearing then move forward with what is needed to remove the wall completely.
  • PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    hace 7 años

I would remove the wall completely if possible.

• shirlpp
    hace 7 años

Yes, remove it. If you have to have the column, then have the contractor center it with the opening, so that the size of the opening is the same on both sides.

• PRO
    Designs by Vincenza Interiors, Inc
    hace 7 años
    Hi, of course it would visually look best totally opened up, but you can not be certain on how to proceed until you have a knowledgable contractor/architect, out to view the scope of the jobs details. Take note of Bob Ybarra Building Designer's comment it is very thorough & insightful. Good luck!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.