Houzz Logo Print
ginatilly

How would you dress this fireplace / wall?

Gina Tilly
hace 8 años
Any ideas much appreciated! I'm a bit thrown because annoyingly the fireplace isn't actually centred so guess I need some way of adding a mirror or pic/s that won't highlight that too much?

Box above left cupboard will be moved once I find a home for it!

Comentarios (19)

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 8 años

There are a few things you could do. Hang something asymmetrical, or sculptural. You could hang a cluster of small beautiful whitewashed frames and a couple of natural glazed vases, or hang a cluster of small african baskets.

• PRO
    Hatti Love
    hace 8 años
    You can't hide the fact that it isn't centred, so I would highlight it! It's a beautiful little fireplace that could add real detail to the room. Maybe add a group of picture frames that reflect other colours you are using in the room? This will give the whole theme continuity..
  • Viv Tay
    hace 8 años

I own a property where the upstairs fires are also off centre. Presumably the wider side was for log basket/companion set etc. These baskets from Dunelm make fabulous planters *put an old saucer/plate in the bottom to catch water, I have a fatsia/fig in one and think it would sit in the gap nicely, either on the floor or perhaps on a very small barley twist leg occasional table, the type you can get on ebay for very little. Rope Basket Dunelm

• PRO
    Elena Romanova Interiors
    hace 8 años

Hi I really don't think the fireplace not being centred is a problem. You don't need everything symmetrical. it has character and you should make more of a feature out of it.

Hanging a nice mirror or even a set of small round ones is the easiest thing to do. Go for something a little bit different - check out Graham & Green, Atkin & Thyme.

I love beautiful wallpaper and this could be a good spot to use it (and still have the mirror!). you will only need one roll so could go for anything you really like. Tie in with the existing colours in the room or let the wallpaper take the lead and introduce the colour into the room.

Cole & Son, Sanderson, Osborne & Little, Harlequin - all [have some beautiful stuff.

Hope it helps

Elena

• PRO
    Ruta Lauzikaite
    hace 8 años
    Asymmetric adds charm. I see something raw hanging on the wall like tree trunks made to an abstract art or a piece of black and white architectural photo.
  • PRO
    Exclusive Mirrors
    hace 8 años

Hi Gina,

what about using multiple small mirrors that way you don't have to worry about aligning the mirror to be central on your wall. You could feature the mirrors decoratively in a cluster. Something like the mirrors below:

http://bit.ly/1pnL8w3

http://bit.ly/22jQYR3

http://bit.ly/1Uftd7P

I've posted the links to our website. Hope this helps!

• holly york
    hace 8 años
    I'd add an oversized piece of artwork. Doesn't have to be expensive - tfl do some amazing vintage poster prints which would add real character and compliment the fireplace
  • Gina Tilly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you so much everybody. Now that I have these ideas I'll search for round mirror/s, other wall art or oversized art and go for whichever grabs me most as think all could work (not at once of course!) Actually wondering if an oval mirror could also work?

I love the wallpaper idea but not sure if it would be a challenge to put up due to shape of fireplace (not a straight edge) but can look into that!
  • minnie101
    hace 8 años

Hi Gina. Only to add I personally would paint the wardrobe doors in the white so they recede into the ŵall. I do love the wood and the warmth it adds to the room but I feel they dominate the fire. I also quite like the box on the wardrobe although something with texture would be good like rattan etc

• PRO
    Hutsly
    hace 8 años

Hi Gina, I think your two options are either to try to conceal the fact that it is not centered or to really play with it. It's quite difficult to hide it but for example if you had plants as tall as the fireplace you could put one on each edge and by hiding the edges like that and covering the walls on each side you will decrease the off-centered effect. Another way as some people have already said is to add an oversized wall art piece which will take the attention away from the small off-centered fireplace and onto the art.

For oversized wall art have a look here: http://www.hutsly.com/collections/wall-art/product-type_canvas-print. I would suggest a portrait format which would go better on that wall. Maybe something like this:

And if you wanted to play with the asymmetrical aspect I would definitely go for a mix of round mirrors and prints in different styles like the ones we have here : http://www.hutsly.com/collections/wall-art/product-type_art-print. We do also have mirrors.

And last little suggestion about the top of you cupboards, those are great to add a little collection as suggested in this article. Something like that:

You could go for glass vases like these for example:

Available here.

Hope that helps!

• Gina Tilly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Yes minnie101 I think you might be right re cupboards. The doors are wooden throughout the house but in this room think it's overkill. It doesn't help that there's not much space after end of the bed. I'm intending to paint the walls anyway, nothing drastic but perhaps a pale grey or something
  • Gina Tilly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Hutsly - I like a lot of things on your site! This is half of my problem though, I like so much stuff I'm finding it hard to focus on one particular style!

I'm thinking I might put a plant or similar to the right where there is more space then go with the large artwork or mirror so the fireplace becomes more of a mini feature.

Cutting up cardboard to get an idea re shapes and sizes!
  • chunkysox
    hace 8 años

Yes the round mirrors are a great idea. Maybe paint the wall in a daring colour rather than wallpaper? Its not a massive wall, I think you could get away with a deep luxurious colour especially if the doors are going to be white too. Good luck :)

• PRO
    Exclusive Mirrors
    hace 8 años

Hi Gina,

yes round or oval mirrors would both work well. As you've got the period style fireplace an oval cameo style mirror might work well to encompass that period style with a modern twist.

These mirrors might look nice:

http://bit.ly/1L1wLYy

http://bit.ly/1pEHUoT

Good luck with your renovations!

• H H
    hace 8 años
    I love those doors being wooden, I'm tempted to copy!
  • Paula M
    hace 7 años

I agree the doors dominate but they are fab. If you are taking out the paint brush why not hit the fireplace itself with a really bright hue. I could see a vibrant yellow working really well - you see coloured fireplaces a bit in salvage and they can look great. Maybe with elegant grey walls, grey and lemon in whatever you place above the fireplace etc

• Wayne Bryan - Designer
    hace 6 años

You can put up asymetric decals coming in from the sides. We did this where our bed couldn't be centred in the room but needed something to go on the wall above it. It works well.

• sam irwin
    hace 6 años
    Round mirror or artwork would look nice
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.