Houzz Logo Print
cuddlz88

Achieving a costal vibe in lounge room

cuddlz88
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

How do i acheive a coastal look in our loungeroom (washed out colours like white, pale blues, pale aqua's, beige etc) when we have a dark charcoal grey lounge, light cherry coloured wood furniture and a feature painting with bold turquoise/green through it. I am considering selling the painting as it just clashes with all the ideas i have in mind as the turquoise is quite dark and leans more on the green side. i love the pale aqua's and blue's so turquoise doesn't go with the vision i have in mind. I have attached a picture of the painting, our lounge and an inspiration pic. Any good interior designers out there that can give me suggestions? Aqua is my favourite colour so i have splashes of it all throughout our unit.

Comentarios (13)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 8 años

Definitely keep your art. Your inspiration should be the sea, and that colour is the ocean.

Keep your hamptons sofa table with the baskets. I would add your new colours with textiles. Add a rope mirror and a model boat. Boats are now available quite cheaply in homewares stores. One in our town has them for around $20 . Keep your ocean decor items to three , though. Add a bowl of real shells.

cuddlz88 agradeció a Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • PRO
    Dylan Fox Photography
    hace 8 años

A fine art beach photograph will certainly help top of a beach theme!

hace 8 años

An arial view! What a great pic!

• Leela Landers
    hace 8 años

To ensure longevity maybe focus on more neutral colours for a beachy/resort feel. The sandy tones, dark wood, light pebble colours, greys, navy instead of really bright colours. Golds are also great to create that warmth. Shabby chic is great but don't go nuts, dates easily. Also don't think too literal for the beach with shells or beach scenes instead try and capture how you feel when you are at the beach or on holiday and re-create that feeling.

cuddlz88 agradeció a Leela Landers
  • KK1000
    hace 8 años
    I agree with you ,the painting is not the best choice. Maybe get one with some nautical theme ( waves, beach or sea shells). You can just get a poster and frame it in light color frame. The coffee table you can just sand with a fine grit sandpaper to expose original timber and put some clear warnish to finish like the coffee table in the photo. Cushions is easy just get something like in your sample photo, go to spotlight or Target, if you make mistake it's easy to return. Last thing get rid of clutter that is seen in the background . I think couch is fine ,looks comfy.
    cuddlz88 agradeció a KK1000
  • KK1000
    hace 8 años
    PS a nice table lamp in the "sea foam "colour would look nice on your white console/buffet, go for larger rather then smaller. Better to have 2 statement pieces then clutter of small bits and pieces that collect dust.
    cuddlz88 agradeció a KK1000
  • jmm1837
    hace 8 años

I just think those sofa/sectional pieces are too dark to really support a beach vibe. They do look comfy though, so I'd be thinking about slipcovers in light grey, beige or light aqua for them. Then, yes, maybe whitewash or lime the coffee table.

On the other hand, maybe you should rethink what you're trying to accomplish. The sectional and coffee table have a certain charm, and obviously you bought them because you liked them, so why not find a different style that better suits those pieces?

cuddlz88 agradeció a jmm1837
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Unless you choose a rocky coast and ship theme.

public domain

• cuddlz88
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm starting to realise the look I want to achieve might be something I need to aim for when we eventually move to a house with more than 1 living area. Our coffee table, tv unit and dining table all match but they are just starting out furniture they didn't cost us very much.. I eventually want to get some good quality furniture. Our lounge is good quality though we spent quite a bit of money on it and it is as comfy as it looks! I don't know that a slip is something we would like but I appreciate the suggestions everyone!

• PRO
    T W F I N E A R T
    hace 8 años

Hi, I'm Tove from www.twfineart.com. We specialize in accessible contemporary art and ship throughout Australia. You can always reflect the coastal environment with your artwork selection. Try this print by Tamika Keioskie that we just installed in a beach house on Tallebudgera Hill. There are many more like it in our portfolio.

• Angela Prestwood
    hace 8 años
    I like your painting, almost looks like waves! I would buy some cushions the same colours in the painting & introduce some timber bowls with shells or driftwood pieces. Have fun!
  • voutred
    hace 8 años

You're up to it you can up cycle your current furniture using porters paints white wash and sealant.

Not sure on the style of your table however the top could be white washed and the legs left timber to achieve hamptons/French provincial/coastal look. Similarly with your coffee table. That way it lightens the look and blends in with everything else (storage unit/side board)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.