Houzz Logo Print
amiekgarcia

Fireplace ugh!

amiekgarcia
hace 8 años
This house was built in 1990. This is a brick facade. I like the idea of exposed brick however this is hideous. There is about 1/2 inch depth to original mortar. I thought about a light mortar wash and bringing mortar flush to brick face. Don't really want to tear down the two stacks on the side but have never seen anything like it. The oval thing is going, just too heavy to remove for the photo.

Comentarios (12)

• amiekgarcia
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Photo looks extremely dark and weird. The wall color is actually light gray, BM Light Pewter. Ceiling is BM Decorators White.

• amiekgarcia
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

PS, Pellet stove hiding behind a black fireplace screen.

• PRO
    Rayna Vogel Interior Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

That is quite a statement piece! You're right, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it either. Depending on the look you're after for the overall room, might I suggest filling between the two stacks with wood? Maybe a reclaimed horizontal stack? Or white siding? Or vertical white raised paneling with a white mantel? Adding wood paneling will tie the two stacks together creating a more unified mantel. Could be a fun project!

amiekgarcia agradeció a Rayna Vogel Interior Design, LLC
  • amiekgarcia
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Like flush with the two stacks? The depth is about 8 inches.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

Get rid of the stacks why try to make them anything.

amiekgarcia agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

I find that really unique. A bit challenging maybe, but believe me there are worse looking FPs out there.

amiekgarcia agradeció a susan2494
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

• er612
    hace 8 años

I agree with Susan. I kind of like it. Did you just move in? If so, give it time before making significant changes. In the meantime, I would focus on window treatments.

• Jennifer Mullins
    hace 8 años
    have you thought about painting it? I have a very dated fireplace to and I used a stain on it and it looks much better
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

You could hang floor too ceiling curtains. I don't like it as much, but you and others might.

• amiekgarcia
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

LOL. No I've been in this house way to long. We have been remodeling in steps, with kids as distractions:) Yes on the window coverings, maybe not floor to ceiling for this space. The left is a sliding door so that makes that a little more complicated.

Furniture will happen as soon as I can get my kids to break my husbands lazy OH-Boy that usually sits to the left.

Rug searching for the right one that can tie in the current brown everyday suede to my down the road on the gray side couch.

I'm liking the idea of bringing the gap forward and maybe another faux tile or a matchy brick. I like the ruggedness of brick but open to other ideas.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.