Houzz Logo Print
paigebrasche

4" Backsplash Help

Paige Brasche
hace 8 años
Hi Houzzers!

I'm about to get new countertops to replace these bad blue Corian ones. My countertop guy came out yesterday to take measurements. I told him I definitely did NOT want the 4" backsplash because, I'm planning on doing a tile backsplash all the way up behind the cooktop. That was not a problem with him, but he's adamant that I need the 4" backsplash to the left and right where the countertop butts up to the fridge and oven. I'm worried it's going to look absolutely stupid. He said he does it all the time, and it looks fine. I think the problem is the wood will be messed up when they take the existing backsplash off. Is there a way around this? Maybe a smaller backsplash? Some kind of wood filler or something? Ughh.

Comentarios (20)

• Diane Land
    hace 8 años

Yes I am sure his concern is that the drywall is missing over the sides of the counter top. An easy fix ,but you could consider taking your back splash up to the bottom of the cabinets on both sides.

• ritting28
    hace 8 años
    I would not do the 4" backsplash on the sides. Perhaps whatever tile you use for your backsplash can go high enough on the sides to hide any damage. You could carefully remove those side panels and see what you think needs to be done. Maybe it won't be hard to fix.
  • Paige Brasche
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I think part of the problem is this piece of wood trim in front of the cabinet. Because of this piece, it looks like the countertop couldn't go al the way to the cabinet, and that's why that 4" backsplash is there. Even if I didn't do the 4" piece of granite/quartz, and did the tile to cover up the damage, wouldn't there still be a gap there? Can a small strip of granite/quartz be put there to fill the gap instead of the whole 4 inches?
  • PRO
    Creative Kitchen & Bath
    hace 8 años

Hi Paige,

You may want to contact a company that refinishes cabinets. They might be able to repair the cabinet sides once the old countertop is removed & before the new is put in place.

• PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I would recommend removing the counter top in it's entirety and then having your counter top person come back in for another site measure. What type/colour counter top are you getting? I think that depending on the product and how it is fabricated someone should be able to do the cut outs and leave you with one piece as long as there is enough room to slide the piece in at an angle.

Edited to add that just because your installer does the side pieces all the time doesn't make it right. I'd rather see you have the side pieces made out of the cabinetry material then a contrasting counter top.

• Paige Brasche
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you for your comments. I agree I need new floors, but I can't do everything at once. I just bought this house, and it has many projects! Attached is a picture of the floors that I wish the previous owner had continued in the kitchen. Also, I've attached pictures of the countertops I'm wanting.
  • Paige Brasche
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    No drain, no crawl space, it's an outlet.
  • visualizemaven
    hace 8 años

Hi Paige,

You are correct to question your installers opinion. Good on you for trusting your instincts on this.

Consider getting a second or even third opinion. Other installers may have more experience and be more skilled at resolving your problem.

There is a way to patch in a wall to even it out so that a tile surround can cover the entire area.

You just need to find the right person for the job.

• agk2003
    hace 8 años
    your choice of new countertop is lovely!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 8 años

Absolutely no 4" backsplash on the sides.

• Jennifer Mullins
    hace 8 años
    if your contractor is not willing to work with you and come to comprises... I would consider a new one.

you do not need to have one. I even called my ex who is a contractor and he said you do not need one.
  • PRO
    Pacific Coast Custom Design
    hace 8 años

The 4" backsplash matching the countertop will not look right. There will be damage to the side areas that will need to be hidden. If it can't be taken care of, I would recommend having the decorative tile come down the sides

• Paige Brasche
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Are you saying I should do my subway tile backsplash on the sides? The sides are the cabinets that contain the fridge to the right and the oven and microwave to the left. I've never seen that done on anything but walls.
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    hace 8 años

You don't really need tile on the sides but now that there is tile on the side and you take it off, there is then damage to your frig and stove cabinet sides. Pacific Coast mentioned that too as might be able to add a wood trim to cover the damage. Instead of using tile.

Ken

• lilyanddaisy
    hace 8 años
    I also agree that with a light counter you may not actually like the look. I'm a white fanatic--and I'm not kidding about that--but once I got my all-white kitchen in my former home I realized it was way too white and looked...cheap. And my counters were gorgeous Carrara marble...just looked like a dentist office or something. Do a darker gray granite or something. Now, for the backsplash, in my new house I did have the 4" installed below my backsplash and it looks fine. Maybe the 4" on the sides would look fine if you had it done on the back? I don't know why you don't like that idea at all but it looks fine in my kitchen. By the way I used marble hexagon tiles for my backsplash, which I LOVE! I found it a great way to incorporate marble into my kitchen without having it on the counter. And while I love subway, this is different. Those wood floors are indeed gorgeous by the way! I have to say I agree with others to do the floors before the counters...but I'm sure they cost a lot more. Good luck!
  • visualizemaven
    hace 8 años

Thank you Paige, the additional pictures really help to clarify your dilemma. I think you are right to say that continuing the subway tile up along the interior walls will be unusual because the tiles would be covering the wood which actually are the side walls of the refrigerator and stove.

Therefore, I think you are correct to just replace the 4" surround with your new beautiful granite/marble. I think the monochromatic scheme will be very pleasing.

Right now, it is hard to imagine it looking good because the contrast is so extreme between the blue counter tops and the cream walls.

When you make your planned changes, it will not be so extreme and will look 100% better than what you have now.

I really think this was a case of all of us giving feedback before seeing all the photos which finally clarified your dilemma.

You will be able to add interest to your final design with colorful and textural accessories.

• Larry S
    hace 8 años
    I did mine like that it's not a big deal as long as all three back splashes are at the same height so when you do the tile it will all be level
  • Jennifer Filipczak-Turner
    hace 8 años

I am surprised they put that on the cabinets to begin with. It shouldn't be there and it will look odd. I agree, the new countertop choice is ideal and honestly I bet the blue countertops were a feature that most people had an issue with when the previous owner was trying to sell.... I am a REALTOR® so I am just speaking from experience and what I hear often about blue colored countertops. Your choice will automatically give your house the update you love and that it needs. However, I think you are right to question any backsplash on your cabinets and I hope they can fix your cabinets once they take that blue surround off.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

i'd hope for a thin piece of wood trim to cover damage, if any, rather than thicker counter top material or tile.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.