Houzz Logo Print
alekzhouzz

Fantastic plaster walls: what's involved to make a walls like this?

alekzhouzz
hace 8 años
An article on this kitchen mentioned the plaster wall for an old world effect. What exactly is the "plaster"? A lime mixture? Joint compound made to look like plaster? Other? How is the plaster made or where was it purchased? How is it applied (or please direct me to an instructional website)? Thanks!
Charlestown · Más información

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Timeless Kitchen Cabinetry
    hace 8 años

Many of the questions I am fielding after this article are best answered by the homeowner. I will try to get her to respond to your inquiry.

• barthmariec
    hace 8 años

The plaster was purchased from RomaBio: www.romabio.com

I used the BioCement GF 1.0
    slaked lime product. Good Luck!

alekzhouzz agradeció a barthmariec
  • northface99
    hace 7 años

Is slaked lime the same as S type hydrated lime? Thanks!

• barthmariec100
    hace 7 años

Yes. Slaked Lime & Hydrated Lime are the same.

The rocks and minerals from which these materials are derived, typically limestone or chalk, are composed primarily of calcium carbonate. They may be cut, crushed or pulverized and chemically altered. "Burning" (calcination) converts them into the highly caustic material "quicklime" (calcium oxide, CaO) and, through subsequent addition of water, into the less caustic (but still strongly alkaline) "slaked lime" or "hydrated lime" (calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2), the process of which is called "slaking of lime". Lime kilns are the kilns used for lime burning and slaking.

• northface99
    hace 7 años

Hence a road in our neighborhood called "Lime Kiln Road"!

Thanks for the info.

I got the lime in a 50-lb sack from a concrete supply place for not much money - something around $40-50. My recipe calls for mixing the lime with water to a consistency of between whipped cream and cream cheese, and letting it sit with a layer of water on top in a closed container for at least 2 weeks; months is better. Then one mixes this lime putty with sand for old fashioned mortar. The mortar stays good and soft as long as it is not exposed to air - a wet rag on top of the mortar in a closed bucket works fine. This mortar is supposed to be soft; i.e. won't crack brick or stone as concrete will. I've done something wrong with my mortar, though, as the first year it held and the second year it turned to sand...

Won't be putting any sand in the lime putty for walls, in any event.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.