Houzz Logo Print
mark_rachel

Epoxy in corners?

mark_rachel
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Can epoxy grout be used where the tile changes planes? Corners, floor, etc? Or does it defiantly need to be caulk? I thought I've heard before that epoxy can withstand the movement.

Comentarios (10)

• elpaso1
    hace 8 años

Yes but it's more expensive than caulking grout and a pain to apply.

mark_rachel agradeció a elpaso1
  • mark_rachel
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Well the rest of the shower will be epoxy, so just making sure.

• telluwhat
    hace 8 años

seems my comment misfired telluwhat, im sorry about that bad idea

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I'm sure I'll get those who live by the book, the TCNA handbook. However, let's not blow up this thread with a debate full of disrespecting comments. Feel free to disagree, respectfully.

"Changes of plane" or "corners" both vertical and horizontal are weak areas regarding tile installations. I think we all know that.

TCNA advises 100% silicone for those areas. Can anybody chime in and tell me what happens to 100% silicone in wet areas such as shower floors?

mark_rachel agradeció a TheGrouStore
  • PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    hace 8 años

In my personal shower I can say after 10 years, nothing has happened to it. Every grout manufacturer makes 100% silicone for wet areas. If they are willing to stand behind it ......

mark_rachel agradeció a Cabot & Rowe
  • pippabean
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

We live in a wood frame house from the 60s. Custom built (if that matters). We renovated our master bath in early 2008. We used Laticrete Epoxy grout everywhere. In all changes of plane in the shower and everywhere else. I did ask the question on the Tile Forum before proceeding. Some pros mentioned the TCNA rules and advised not to. Other pros had used the laticrete epoxy grout in corners with no ill effect and felt it was safe to do. At any rate, after 8 years, we have no problems with the tile install whatsoever.

In 2010/2011 we diyed our hall bath, also using Laticrete's epoxy grout. No issues.

No cracks, no heaving tiles, no leaky showers. And for a bonus, the grout never needs special cleaning. Love epoxy grout. Best money ever spent.

mark_rachel agradeció a pippabean
  • PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    hace 8 años

In a properly waterproofed shower it doesn't make a difference in performance unless there is enough movement to crack or dislodge tiles.

mark_rachel agradeció a Cabot & Rowe
  • pippabean
    hace 8 años

We did use silicone in one area: around the tub. Every month or two, that silicone turns orangey-red and needs cleaning with an anti mildew shower cleaner. The epoxy grout just above is not affected by this. Ever.

mark_rachel agradeció a pippabean
  • PRO
    TheGrouStore
    hace 8 años
    I've been using Epoxy Bond grout since 2011, including all changes of plane. As a tile contractor who specializes in grout cracking issues, I am constantly replacing 100% silicone at shower floors.
    In my opinion the TCNA needs to update this particular issue.
    mark_rachel agradeció a TheGrouStore
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.