Houzz Logo Print
jessicacruse1

Need help picking paint for kitchen

jessicacruse1
hace 8 años
I want to eventually paint the cabinets white, or stain darker. I like lighter, neutral colors something I won't get sick of (something classic), but trying to get away from tan/ gold like I have now. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comentarios (19)

• Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 8 años

Your cabinets are nice just as they are. I wouldn't paint them white or stain them darker unless you change the countertop and backsplash.

As far as paint goes, choose a warm gray. Beiges can pull pink or yellow, cooler grays can have blue or purple undertones.

My two favorite warm grays are Edgecomb Gray BM and Popular Gray SW.

• jessicacruse1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I am not sure the name of the countertops, they were installed by previous owners. EG was what I was considering so that gives me some reassurance! Cabinets are great but I feel they are a yellow color bi have always loved white cabinets. I am terrified to paint them though as I don't want to "ruin" nice cabinets! Ahh!
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 8 años

Wish I had been terrified to paint mine, maybe I wouldn't have done it. Horrible experience - never again. They came out just fine in the end, but what a lot of work.

• tqtqtbw
    hace 8 años

I also like the cabinets. Take a look at BM Revere Pewter in your room. I wonder is the cabinets are picking our some of the yellow from your walls. You could try taking down one door and looking at it in a different colored room. (Maybe even at a friend or neighbor's house.)

• mhlmusings
    hace 8 años
    If you like a white kitchen the go for it. It's a bargain to paint rather than replace. And when you do paint them have a carpenter (or handy husband) add crown moulding to the tops of the cabinets. (You can order from kitchen Dept at Home Depot). It will make them look more custom. Soft grays are nice on the wall but with you black counters and tile be careful not to go too cool. BM Gray Owl is very nice.
  • emmarene9
    hace 8 años

Here are some other BM colors for comparison. I also like white but you have such nice cabinets. I'd try painting the walls first. Maybe that will diffuse the yellow enough.

• jessicacruse1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you all for your input. Now I am really second guessing painting cabinets. I know they are great as is, I just love the look of a white kitchen. Will definitely paint the walls first to see if that makes a difference. My husband does not want to paint the cabinets. He would love you all! Haha. Looking a REvere pewter or edgecomb gray OR I also love oyster bay by sherwin Williams
  • PRO
    Kristin Leigh ~ Faux Artist
    hace 8 años

If they were older cabinets, I'd not hesitate to paint them. But they look new-ish and fairly expensive. Agree that the 00's gold has to go! Start with that. If you like white, why not just paint all the walls back down to white. If you had older flooring, I'd suggest painting the floors white. But your floor also looks expensive. Whatever you paint the kitchen, make sure it's either an extremely durable paint, or bump it up to a satin. You might like a slightly shiny white on the walls. But don't be afraid of color. People struggle with the fear of pulling out a color from the cabinets & flooring that they don't want. You can avoid that by choosing a nice, softer color. Try something you've never done before, like an antique blue? Like a Wythe blue from Benjamin Moore

• PRO
    Bespoke Decor
    hace 8 años

Your cabinets seem yellow because your current wall color is enhancing that aspect of their color. You'll like your cabinets a whole lot more once you get a different color on the wall. Look at the Ben Moore swatch card AC-31 through 36, and you'll probably find a wall color that works with your backsplash/counter.

• grapefruit1_ar
    hace 8 años

Will gray work with the browns in your backsplash/countertops?

• jessicacruse1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I don't know grapefruit. Here is a photo of edgecomb gray (1st) and revere pewter (2nd swatch is vertical) thoughts? This making my head spin
  • acm
    hace 8 años

A gray paint (I'd use the backsplash as a tonal guide) will make your counter and backsplash feel more at home, but don't be afraid to paint your cabinets. They seem fine, but hardly a historic resource to be protected (the magic of woooood, heh) at the expense of your own taste. I wouldn't go dark, lest your kitchen become a cave, but a light shade of cream or white (or even a putty) could transform the kitchen for you.

• acm
    hace 8 años

oh, I'm not sure a computer monitor distinguishes color well enough for us to judge the colors for you. sorry!

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 8 años

Painting the cabinets White would be a great idea. White cabinets are classic and timeless. I think the white cabinets will compliment the current back splash.

Eclectic white kitchen · Más información

Eclectic white kitchen · Más información

• chloebud
    hace 8 años

EG is a good thought. Since you mentioned light/neutral, you might also check BM's Winds Breath which is lighter and a warmish greige. Just thinking it could work with your counters and backsplash.

Upper walls in this bath are Winds Breath...

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Paint the cabinets first...white. Why waste time and money on a temporary fix?

After the cabinets are painted, then you should choose your wall color. Actually, you may like what you have now.

The Great Spaces! Kitchen · Más información

• jessicacruse1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    JudyG Loove that kitchen!! You make a very good point. I think no matter what color the walls are I won't ever love the color of the cabinets. I might be getting my nerve back to paint cabinets. Anyone with general finishes milk paint experience?
  • jhmarie
    hace 8 años

If you are going to paint really nice cabinets you should either get it done by a professional or go down to your local reputable paint store and let them help you pick out a good primer (Zinsser makes good primers) and a good top coat cabinet paint. Be realistic about your DIY skills - it is quite a job and will take much longer than you think. I see little people toys, so add a couple of more days because you will need to stop and take care of the little ones - been there and done that:) There are times you may feel very impatient and be tempted to cut corners - so know yourself, your skill and patience level, before you start.

Chalk paint and milk paints are OK if you are trying to get new life out of older, worn cabinets and don't mind or even want a distressed look. For a really good looking finish, there are no shortcuts. Cabinets are a very expensive part of your kitchen - you are right, you do not want to mess this up or it could cost a lot to buy new cabinets or pay someone to correct a bad paint job - which would cost more than a regular professional paint job.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.