Houzz Logo Print
bailey510

What should we do with this stairway?

Skip Gilliam
hace 8 años
Should we add any photos/art...etc? If so where should it be placed and what would compliment the space?

Comentarios (86)

• PRO
    Paulette Insall, Contemporary Art
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

As lovely as it already is, I think it would really give the stairway more personality to add some photos or artwork. Since your sconces project light onto the opposite wall, then the opposite wall would be a great place place them. If you like abstract art, I'd love to work with you to create some custom paintings to bring a pop of color into the space. You can email me at studio@pauletteinsall.com

All Things New · Más información

All I See are Blue Skies (sold) · Más información

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Kshoa

It's a bedroom on one side of the wall and a bath on the other side.
  • shirlpp
    hace 8 años

bailey510, are you leaning towards any of these suggestions?

• fgivelis
    hace 8 años

wow, you've now got a lot of ideas! So here is my two cents. I do agree the area is too narrow for photos. Personally I'm not a "mirror person" but....... consider putting a long mirror or maybe a few of different shapes on the left wall across from your light fixtures and railing. It will give the appear of a larger area, give some visual interest, and reflect the light from your sconces. It's a win win!

• Bev Gillham
    hace 8 años

It needs a tall picture on the wall in front going down. Nothing on the side walls. It's to narrow.

• labincurlers
    hace 8 años

I like your stairway and after all it's a stairway, a way to get somewhere else not a place anyone spends time. I don't like the tall art piece, it just emphasizes the narrowness, you're right. I think a runner is all I would do, something with some color in it or else very plain and leave the rest as is.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Shirlpp

Of all the ideas so far I'm leaning towards trying two antique finished mirrors first to reflect some more light in the space. I like the idea of having something on the front wall but not necessarily art. Not sure what yet though
  • Lynn G
    hace 8 años

Paint the walls an interesting and vibrant color, like yellow or pink - both look great with grey! I really like to use vibrant colors in spaces that aren't lived in, like the bathroom. Add some zing!

And another option for adding zing without taking up space in the narrow stairwell is to add non-adhesive wall decals...
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/decal-wall-adhesive
    http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=non-adhesive+wall+decor&v_t=webmail-searchbox

• debrakadabra
    hace 8 años

A friend hung up an old pair of Norwegian wooden skis and bamboo poles once in his staircase, and it was lovely.

• zellycat2
    hace 8 años

Maybe a wire sculpture on that wall with lighting above that casts interesting shadows onto the other walls? Might widen the space? Or perhaps really fantastic modern lighting that hangs down and creates a shadow pattern on the wall? I couldn't find any exact pictures but this at least shows how a wire sculpture could add depth with shadow and would practically be free, to try out the concept.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/arteriors-tree-branch-wall-decor-prvw-vr~453624[(https://www.houzz.com/products/arteriors-tree-branch-wall-decor-prvw-vr~453624)

• PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    hace 8 años

I would suggest the following. Make that plain wall darker blue. Place just 2 oversize paintings of one oversize as below.

• Jane Zorn
    hace 8 años

Well, I couldn't let this one pass without throwing my two cents to the wind…… I like the stairway… pretty color, pretty lights… dark, yes, a little, but most stairways are…. my personal opinion…. because the walls are 'great' ceiling/walls, it makes the space look long and skinny…. to add some depth to it, you almost have to do something to that left wall. It also looks a little 'cold'… stark, like. In order to 'warm' it up and make it appear a little larger, one thing that you can do is find a material that you really like. Something that blends with the color of your wall, but has some other colors in it also. To add color to the space and thus make it appear more 'normal size.' If you put some other colors on that one wall, you will pull it away from the stark, dark, long, skinny look that it is. Adding material is easy. There are instructions online. Plus, it doesn't mar your walls… you can remove it easily by simply peeling it off, and if you want to 'update' it, peel it off and get some other fabric to put on the wall for an instant update. As for a mirror on the long section above the bottom of the stairs, use pieces of mirror for a 'broken' look. Put a little space in between the pieces (1/2 inch or so). You can find a long mirror, and then have someone break it up and sand the edges so you can put up the pieces, or you can simply buy the pieces already made together. Leave the lights. With an all-wall color change (you can also use a large vinyl (like they wrap cars with) of a sunset or sunrise or trees with sunshine coming thru them, or even tree branches with cherry blossoms or some other type of blossoms, with grass, flowers at the bottom…. find something you REALLY like…. bear in mind what direction that wall is coming from (east - sunrise, west - sunset, etc.)). Your guests would have something to view as they descend the stairs, as well as looking at themselves in the 'broken' mirror. A runner would be nice, too, but I really like the wooden floors. Good luck with what your decision is. There are a lot of good choices on here. I'm in the process of updating my living room walls right now. It's fun!!

• PRO
    Julia Wakely Interiors
    hace 8 años
    I really like the lighting and paint colour you've chosen. I would add a Dash and Albert indoor outdoor runner to add more interest and grip when going up and down the stairs.

One piece of black and white art with a black frame would look stunning on the vertical wall straight ahead.
  • PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    hace 8 años

I agree, a photo straight ahead would loo amazing, even giving an illusion that the space is higher than it is!

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    hace 8 años

i would leave it as is. if anything i would add "texture" to one of the walls, possibly by adding a cool wallpaper.

xoxo eva @ MONARCH SOFAS

CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF CUSTOM SOFA AND SECTIONAL PROJECTS

• Resistance
    hace 8 años
    I would get a long tapestry or woven wall hanging as it would pretty the space and would not be damaged if anyone knocked against it.
  • barbra123
    hace 8 años

If the space is too narrow... cut in some niches the depth of the framing. Same shapes... or different shapes. It is very unique and architectural and you can display anything in them. A friend did this in an entryway with 30" circles. Looks great.

• ncpease
    hace 8 años

If you really want something added, but feel it is too narrow, how about interesting wallpaper or a mural? Something scenic would make it feel wider.

• Bernadette Staal
    hace 8 años

I would just go with one amazing hanging light fixture, one that attracts the eye during the day but adds amazing shapes and textures on the walls with the light at night. Let the light fitting be your art / show piece.

• User
    hace 8 años

In this case "less" is "more". I think a group of small mirrors in different shapes, with a similar finish to your beautiful sconces, would look striking on the vertical wall. They would not only lighten up the area, but with careful arrangement you could either make the wall appear wider, or you could accentuate the height of that wall. I've seen photos of chair rail molding used to give walls the appearance of an "alcove". You may want to consider using molding to form tall, rectangular shapes on the wall across from the sconces - arranged in a "stepped" design (each a little taller than the one below it). I think 3 rectangles, painted to match the bannister rail, would give that wall a simple, yet elegant finish. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo to hand, so I hope you get the idea I'm trying to put across!

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Too many ideas, hard to narrow it down
  • PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    hace 8 años

Here are some ideas from our design portfolio.

Belfontain Project · Más información

Custom New Build · Más información

• Sylvia Carlson
    hace 8 años

So, here's my 2 cents worth: I put a black-and-white print on the wall above the stairs, and added a clock hanging in front of the window. You can get anything printed on to wallpaper at spoonflower.com. I think this image is an illustration from an old book. Another idea would be to put shelves on that oddly tall and narrow wall (from one side wall to the other), and use it to display something that you collect.

• Adriana Stanica
    hace 8 años
    How about this ? This is my staircase!
  • naenae7579
    hace 8 años
    I would say it is a great place for a cozy hanging library with the ladder on a sliding rail system, there's many options available through a custom design would maximize style and space.
  • PRO
    aHa-architecten gcv
    hace 8 años

Maybe some photo's in opposite of the lights...

• shirlpp
    hace 8 años

What about your two antique mirrors, and a big clock on the wall in front of you, or a trio of mirrors.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I'll have to buy something to try it out, I guess that's the stressful part of it. Hate to buy unless I have a solid idea of what I want. I did font these mirrors last night that I thought may look nice...not sure though?!?!
  • Nuška Marn
    hace 8 años
    put something interesting at the bottom and at the top wall - it will works like eye-catcher and no one will take care about staircase. maybe a big plant infront of window at first floor and big picture on upper floor wall?
  • cheryld1
    hace 8 años

I can't see the ceiling, but white/ light walls, a runner in lighter muted design, a cool pendant light if possible. I do not like the sconces.

• PRO
    New Angle Design
    hace 8 años

A neutral runner would be nice. Agree, too small for art and photos.

• shirlpp
    hace 8 años

I like those mirrors. I'd try them.

• Caroline Onda
    hace 8 años

try a piece of tall bright fine art of your choice or a mirrow which you will know it is there BUT make sure it does not attract your attention that might lead you to roll down the stairs.probably the photos of the members of family who have already left us!!!

• theresamcrae
    hace 8 años

I would NOT put a mirror anywhere in here. I did in an almost identical space, and no matter where I put it, people became disoriented at seeing themselves, and slipped. I cannot emphasize this enough.

I really don't think the stairwell is wide enough for art on the side walls - especially with the sconces. It will also be distracting - and the more things you hang, or the more interesting, the more people will slip.

One focus could be on the window at the base of the stairs. What can you do to bring peoples' attentions to that window?

A second possibility would be to hang art on the far wall. You didn't like the suggestions already made, but the art does not have to fill the entire vertical space; you could set something at eye-level from the top of the stairs.

Here's something I considered in my own stairwell. (I have a ledge, so a statue would be possible.) You could also end up just hanging something that mostly filled the space sideways, but only 1/3 to 2/3 of the vertical space.

If it's at all practical, I'd add some spots from the ceiling, maybe replacing what is already there, and maybe focused on the art on the opposite wall. That's what I ended up doing, and it worked magnificently.

• PRO
    NuStair
    hace 8 años

Those are some pretty awesome sconces! I think a piece of art would look really fabulous directly across from the landing on the stairs like many others have already indicated!

• guilderlandgal
    hace 8 años

You have tremendous storage potential. Usually on one side of either wall is a closet. You can continue the closet by using the space over the stairs. I did it in a previous home. About midwall in the closet, I created a built-in storage area which extended over the stairs (without impacting head clearance while going down the stairs). I don't know why every home doesn't use the dead space over the stairs.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    There is no dead space over the stairs, bedroom walls on the sides and bathroom on the other side of the front wall. Thanks
  • PRO
    Designs by TAP
    hace 8 años

I would put a simple chair rail moulding down both sides at the same height of the railing, same colour as the railing, and then paint the wall under the moulding a lighter shade of your wall colour, 2-3 shades lighter. The optical illusion of the wall colour will make the stairway seem wider. A long single piece of art on the opposite wall over stairs just accentuates the long narrowness of the wall. Break it up with three or four pieces of art that get brighter near the top. They should have no frame of a frame that matches the railing colour. Or you could find some old small window frames and get an outdoor scene perhaps of a tree in the sunlight and have it broken up into the window frames so it gives the feeling like you're looking outside.

• sasknellie
    hace 8 años

I have a very similar staircase in my home, but my area is much darker. I have a ledge built right across the whole wall that you face going down. The ledge is about 20 inches above the doorway. There are 2 skinny mirrors propped up there on the corners simply because I need all the light I can get. Yours is much, much brighter. In between the 2 mirrors I have about 3 carvings or other objets d'art that I change out seasonally. Works for me.

In my opinion, the stairwell is too narrow for anything across from the sconces.

• PRO
    Planted Earth
    hace 8 años

One has to make assumptions with only one picture and a broad, "what should I do?" question. Not knowing what other visual or functional issues you may have, I'm going address the question ass-u+m-ing the staircase feels narrow and somewhat "visually unsafe" when headed down; the run not having a landing and/or turn to it. I'm counting 14 stairs before I can't count accurately, so will guess you have tall ceilings upstairs along with a longer than normal (to most houses) stair run. I don't think the height is a problem that needs fixing as someone mentioned. Personally, I would accentuate it, and bring eyes up towards the ceiling and up the rectangular wall; the narrow width may become less of an issue. Capturing the space above for storage for an adjoining room would make the staircase come down visually and create the opposite effect. This house doesn't strike me as having storage issues to solve.

I agree with Bernadette Staal, liking the idea of a hanging fixture. Without seeing the ceiling detail (I'm going to assume it's simple, flat and without additional lighting or skylight) I would like to see an interesting pendant light hanging down, closer to the tall wall than the beginning of the stairs, allowing the vertical rectangle to act as frame. Something long and thin, mimicking the walls dimentional proportions. The style either confirming the architecture of the house or going way far away from it with a more art based fixture . Lumar Interiors had a nice example of the first idea that also added a bit of sparkle to that situation. zellycat2 had mentioned a wire sculpture as did someone else with a nice example (perhaps a Ruth Asawa if your rich hippy uncle passes and left it in the will for you). .. hanging something you can see through, in front of the wall would create visual interest that "moves" ones eye up into the space as one descends the stairs and, creates visual movement with ones changing vantage point. I would want to illuminate the piece or wash the wall and silhouette it. I feel that wall is the only one that could accept art or adorning unless you go for the "hundreds of family pictures in found frames look", but we are looking for something more, right?

My initial response was to hang a vertical piece of art or craft on the wall creating drama and embracing the height (a long tapestry/ woven piece or even interesting fabric from the bargain bin with one or two rods/driftwood/cool bark covered sticks sewn in at top and maybe bottom, three or four similar photos in inexpensive square dark frames... artsy sepia toned fuzzy close-ups of the kids- graphic antique architectural lithographs/drawings if that's more your style... xeroxed if budget is issue- it's far enough away to cheat: it'sALLart shows a nice scale/dimension in his mock-up) but the repeating sconces seem to create a "runway" affect down the stairs that seem to create a sense of unsafe "tripping-all-the-way-down-the-stairs feel" that doesn't get addressed. The handrail on the same side as the "runway lights" only supports that effect. What a nice architectural plinth or half column thingy you have at the top of the stairs. Could the railing be swapped to that side? Could it be reworked with out too much effort to be part of that wood work? Terminate it at that other detail below. lessening the vanishing point line created? Without expensive re-wiring, you could remove one sconce (perhaps the middle one) and replace with a long chain draping down off the j-box and then up to the ceiling for a stunning fixture that illuminates the ceiling above, drawing your eye up with it's light and shape. Ooooh, that chain, covered with shimmery fabric or made out of something interesting? There's one more opportunity to draw the eye....Maybe you don't need anything else behind it, or maybe something very "quiet"... that 18" wide but insanely long Irish linen tonally embroidered matrimonial table runner that great great aunt Crete-Anne left you? Where is that thing?

That was my two cents, now I'm rich.

• ncpease
    hace 8 años

Why not go on a computer and search 'stairway murals' or 'stairway decor' and/or any other way you want to search ideas (Each search will give you a plethora of ideas), then click on 'Images' at the top of the page, you will see many, many pictures for ideas.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Planted Earth thank you for the post, you gave me some other ideas to think about
  • brokenknee
    hace 8 años

paint the (walking up) left hand side wall with a bright yellow colour. you will be surprised to see how bright it will look

• hsmeghan
    hace 8 años

Just saw this -- we used to have an almost identical set up in the apartment we lived in for 5-1/2 years which was on the top floor of our church which is in a renovated dairy barn. It was the entry door to the apartment and you had to go up the stairs as soon as you came in. Not a very safe setup, in my opinion; fortunately we had no small children and pets weren't allowed. I did drop a lot of things down those stairs, though -- at least 2 winter squashes -- what a bang they made when the door was closed! How embarrassing. The business manager's and secretary's offices were right below us.

The staircase was carpeted and very dark. There was one dim light at the top of it. We ended up stringing some Christmas lights along the side of it, a long double string that wrapped around almost the entire length of the space and came back up. It was not exactly beautiful, but it lit the area up a lot better than it was. We had colored lights for awhile and then white lights (all LED, bought them at Sam's Club). Most people who came up to see us commented that they liked them; kids loved them.

Maybe you could find some kind of similar lighting idea for the left side of the staircase across from the sconces. I would not remove the sconces; you need a lot of light in a staircase. Or you could put some kind of decorative lighting display in the narrow area over the door.

Or, I would suggest hanging a brightly colored custom quilted piece over the door. It would look lovely there. I agree that the mirror idea could be distracting and dangerous, but on the other hand, any work of visual art might distract a person going down the stairs.

A challenging space -- hope you find what works best for you!

• Gemma U
    hace 8 años

I would add a single brightly-coloured picture or canvas on the wall you face as you go down the stairs, but not much else, if anything.

• mjconti
    hace 7 años

While reading through the comments, I noticed someone suggested hanging a tapestry - and that was exactly what I was going to suggest. Our friends have one hanging on a wall on their stairs and it looks wonderful, and softens the space too! I've been looking for one myself, to put on an entryway wall and hope to find one soon.

• Robert Henry
    hace 7 años

it's ALLart ---- his idea is spot on, draws the eye, you can take it all in at a glance and it requires no brain processing. On a steep set of stairs, you need to concentrate on the job at hand, not be diverted by complicated art work or photos. bailey510 has stated that he turned the lights up for the photo, usually has them dimmed, which would remove that glare. You really started something with your question bailey510 and what a wonderful response. I'm sure we'd all love to know your final decision on the staircase. Best wishes

• designcanuck
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think a mirror and a runner would improve the space. It will make it look more finished. Consider placing a plant or an interesting sculpture at the bottom of the stairs as a focal point.

Doria Road · Más información

Entrance hallway staircase · Más información

• User
    hace 6 años

I recently vacationed in a condo that had a very similar staircase area, with a large expanse of wall above it. The decor was southwestern, and two long, woven hangings were placed on the wall above the stairs. One was slightly narrower and longer than the other, and they were hung side-by-side with one being slightly off-set lower than the other. They looked really attractive and made what would have otherwise been a boring section of wall a focal point. The wall hangings didn't cause any kind of distraction for me as I went up and down the stairs, because my eyes were focussed on the stairs themselves - for safety. The same kind of effect could be accomplished in your situation, whether you use a couple of long, narrow prints, paintings, mirrors, or tapestries - or a single large piece of art on that area of wall facing down the staircase. Although the temptation might be to choose smaller pieces in an effort not to make the area appear too overwhelming, they make look lost on such an expanse. A larger single piece of art (or multiple smaller pieces) that almost entirely fill this particular wall space would actually make it appear larger.

• shirlpp
    hace 6 años

bailey510- What did you end up doing?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.