Houzz Logo Print
ginatilly

What style dining table and chairs?

Gina Tilly
hace 8 años
Hi,

I'm looking for help with choosing type of table and chairs for our kitchen.

Trying to work out whether round, square or oblong would work best and then whether to go modern or old. The kitchen is a mix of old and new at the moment as it contains fireplace, cornicing, old style radiator but then a modern grey/slightly green shiny kitchen with sparkly stone counter and splash back.

I guess I need something to help tie it all together but then also not taking up too much space (most of the time it would be only 2 people eating but would like to be able to accommodate more too when we have friends of family over).

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you!

Comentarios (9)

• Chantal Ouyang
    hace 8 años

Hey, I'd go for a square table to make the kitchen well-balanced. What about a sleek and modern extendable table? Let's see what others say too. I'm sure the community will help you find the right table.

• embzop
    hace 8 años

How about getting Louis Ghost chairs? They combine vintage styling with contemporary materials.

Contemporary Kitchen · Más información

• PRO
    Max Marshall Design
    hace 8 años
    We do a compact dining table and comfy bucket dining chairs, if your into the Scandinavian look?
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I'd go for a stripped top farmhouse or refectory table. The top will match your doors and will sit perfectly in the room as it has original features. Seems only fitting that the table and chairs should be of the same age. You can paint the legs by colour matching them to the kitchen units.

• Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    I'd get a wall bracket for the bike and put the table near the doors
  • Gina Tilly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi kittihawk, luckily the bike is a temporary feature, in the process of sorting licked storage in the garden for that! Just looking now at having the table near the doors but they fall between the fridge on one side and oven the other, so it would be in the way a bit there. It actually looks like a bigger space in the pic so can see where you were coming from
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Had a though overnight about this...........................I think extending is the way to go. So, 1930's or Victorian to stay in the realm of antique and fitting in with the period features whilst not going modern and competing with the kitchen. Both styles will be around a metre square when not extended. The Victorian ones wind out to seat 6 easily and it will still sit in the corner to the right of the door. The 1930's the same. Being solid wood you can paint them, strip them, paint them again and again. We have a 165 year old victorian wind out, simply indestructable, they don't make em like that anymore!

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

First of all the Kitchen fit out looks beautiful, very sleek! I would certainly go down the route of New Nordic or contemporary. I can also thoroughly recommend getting a nice sized table that will work without the need for extensions. Having an extending table throws up the question of where do you keep the extra seats, or if they are fold up, where do I get good quality fold up chairs that are comfortable for guests?

I would look at getting a pair of the radius benches from Habitat to go in the back corner, or look at getting a banquette made up. Benches mean you can squeeze in an extra guest or two!

a small T12 table from Hay

and a few of the Hiroshima chairs by Naoto Fukasawa

I think these sleek but warms designs will complement the wood already in the room, but not fuddle the sleek look of the kitchen by adding lots of extra details.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.