Houzz Logo Print
joanna_porter

Help- horrified by my architects tiles!-should they go?

Joanna Porter
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Thank you for reading this! Our architect,persuaded us to use a contemporary motif throughout the bathrooms in the house. The smaller rooms I am getting to be Okay with it as the tiles are more of an accent but not at all sure of this bathroom. However, I am getting used to it and having made a fuss for 2 weeks now think it might be Okay if toned down a bit. The tiles in the bathroom go around the corner and throughout the shower- similar to the other shower in our bedroom that is shown. To me they look busy but dull in colour, retro and although fashionable at the moment I think they will look dated in 5 years and i do not intend doing the house again for the next 50 years! I also think they make the space look smaller, less ceiling depth Any thoughts or anyone been in a similar situation. The architect says to leave them a year but by then I will never change them and they may well irritate me for the rest of my life. I wondered about removing the ones on the bath and just reducing the effect. Or should they just go?

Comentarios (43)

• embletoni
    hace 8 años

Personally, I'd change them. They are drab in colour and fussy in design, so make the space seem smaller and darker than other tiles would. Don't listen to your Architect; it's your space so you are the only person who matters. I suspect they just don't want the hassle!

• Joanna Porter
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Embletoni- I appreciate your time and sharing your insight! I will update!

• Chris Greenwood
    hace 8 años

Chris

I would change them also Or remove the ones around the bath That might help. Far to fussy /busy for me And as Embletoni said it's your space so you are the only person who matters Could you face walking into that room several times a day for the next 50 years

There are so many styles currently available at the moment Try something different now whilst the architect is still around Add some colour

Joanna Porter agradeció a Chris Greenwood
  • susanglascoed
    hace 8 años
    We all get it wrong sometimes. These tiles are currently very fashionable and a fashion look can be quickly overdone and dated - just think of the tedious amount of grey everywhere or endless open plan rooms. Change them. You are the architect's client, not his Guinea pig and choose something plain and classic that will last.
    Joanna Porter agradeció a susanglascoed
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hello Joanna,

Well this tile has seen quite a bit of exposure... Companies like Bert and May for example... I do like this geometric design personally but I think they need careful complimenting with other tiles and textures.. I like the shower area and if I was working on this project with you, I'd be suggesting textures and earthy colours so it doesn't seem so out of place with the white, lest you go for more of the same... Plaster, smooth concrete with some warmer tones, so they blend but offer contrast if you want less.. but not dark with the white tile as this will look worse..

I am not sure you would want to leave them a year only to then rip them out if you cannot make these work... I'd be looking straight away for a solution that works rather than saying live with it... perhaps less outside of the shower area but a border or some form of continuity so the bathroom seems seamless, I would not put these on the side of the bath unless the whole floor area and the whole room even is being done as it will bring the room in...

Also things can look good for years even if they are an "On Trend" item (hate that word) but it's how you work this into the overall look that is crucial so it remains interesting and inviting... Going for plain and classic (boring!) is not the solution either as I think you'd be losing the opportunity to get this right and it could look gr8!

I like to focus on how to make things right rather that what is wrong.. So here's a pic of another Bert & May tile.. to give you an idea of how a dramatic tile can work with more exposure... Sleek all over and sheet glass, make this shower area really open despite the strong design..

: ))

If you're in London here's one that was at Clerkenwell design week 2015

Strong pattern really works when you know how to deal with the other elements..

Joanna Porter agradeció a Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Rachel Oakes
    hace 8 años

I was just about to comment and say 'nope, get rid' until I saw Dabrowskas post above; what a difference the wall colour makes. Certainly seems livable, but ultimately I'd agree that they will date quickly. But for a year or two, with the darker paint they could be OK.

Joanna Porter agradeció a Rachel Oakes
  • Lynn Robbo
    hace 8 años
    Hi, I feel dizzy looking at them sorry
    Joanna Porter agradeció a Lynn Robbo
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 8 años
    It's YOUR home and I would suggest you pick something YOU like especially if you need to live with it for 50years ! The architect probably had the best intentions - but in this instance, if I were you, I'd bite the bullet and change it now ! Otherwise it will be too much hassle later on !
    Joanna Porter agradeció a OnePlan
  • lizzywendywilliams
    hace 8 años
    I think they will date really quickly. Also don't they make you feel dizzy??
    Joanna Porter agradeció a lizzywendywilliams
  • Joanna Porter
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Lizzy, I wondered if it was just me!!

• Sue Fendt
    hace 8 años

I don't mind them but they don't go with the other square tiles at all. Love the dark colour that someone else has suggested which does tone it down. In my mind, it would depend on how much it will cost to change it all .... but any change is now or never!

• mortimer39steps
    hace 8 años
    They make me feel dizzy too - I find myself looking at various lines in the pattern, and the angle they create isn't at ninety degrees to be floor so...then my eyes start searching again.. Personally, I'd change them; I can't see what they add to the scheme that would make them worth putting up with ad infinitum. Also, if something doesn't make your heart lift when you see it, then it probably doesn't belong in your home.
  • Joanna Porter
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Wow Joanna, as in Dabrovska, your colour render is amazing. I would love this bathroom but probably still in someone else's house! Amazing!! Thank you so much. I agree with Rachel Oakes this really makes such a difference.

• Carmen Urquhart
    hace 8 años

I think they could look great! But if you're going for a timeless look, a plain coloured tile would avoid your bathroom ever looking dated. Although on the plus side these tiles would require less cleaning upkeep than say plain white ones ;)

Joanna Porter agradeció a Carmen Urquhart
  • Terry McG
    hace 8 años

I love the effect especially in the shower area. I personally don't like the white contrast. I think it needs something warmer and softer. More earthy then I think you would love it. Please don't go for bland - there's enough of that about. You've invested already so try to work it out. It's amazing what a different colour contrast will do but your architect should be working with you to leave you with something you love not just telling you to live with it. Sack them off and get AJ Interior Styling in. They made some good suggestions above. Hope you can make it work for you. It could look stunning

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Thank you Terry,

That's lovely of you! : ))

• clarejenkinson
    hace 8 años

I must say that I like them with either the dark coloured wall or with a light coloured wall. The taupe colour in the tile looks like it could be a good choice also. A bathroom is a room where you can experiment as it's not a room you spend a lot of time in so that each time you visit you get that wow feeling all over again. Think Fornasetti decorative touches in there and instead of trying to play it down, just be brave and go with it, it will not disappoint...!

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs Ibiza
    hace 8 años

They are nice but I think you should change them. If you want a tile that won't date you are best to go with a natural stone tile, they are more work with maintenance etc. but they will stand the test of time. All tiles date, I can usually tell when a home was last renovated by looking at the tiles. Get the mess out of the way now, you don't want tilers, plumbers etc. back in your house in a year!! Best of luck with it!!

• Lesley Fisher
    hace 8 años
    I think tiles like this can look great where they are located in good light, where you can stand far enough aware from them to appreciate the design, and in a single plane - eg one entire wall. It doesn't look as if your situation is ideal in any of those respects so I would change them. Also, I am actually an architect and I would never try and convince a client if their initial reaction to a design decision was negative - it's your bathroom so have something you like!
  • PRO
    amordesigns
    hace 8 años

I dont like the tiles at all. If you dont like the tiles now or unsure about them now, you will hate them a year down the line. If you are not planning in redoing the bathroom for a long time, then something classy and neutral that will not outdate. You can always change the colour of the wall or accessories if you get bored of the colour, but would be more difficult and costly to change tiles.

• nicole3238
    hace 8 años

Honestly if you really aren't planning to do the house again for a really long time you really do need to change them if you can. I accepted a less than good paint job on my new house because we were desperate to move in and it drove me mad every single day, until I repainted which was much more complicated than it would've been before we moved in. My friends had the same thing with the paint on their new windows and doors, it wasn't quite right, personally I thought it looked nice but my advice was the same - you are obviously spending money and time to do this - defo make sure you like it. Much better to get it right while the builders are in - much more convenient to do it now than later. Don't worry about the architect - you've tried it and you don't like it. They aren't to my taste and while the paint colour around it may soften it - they won't change. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Brendan Mulhall
    hace 8 años

Joanna, to be honest I think they look pretty dreadful. If you have any hesitation, get rid of them. You have to live comfortably and happily in your home- so go for decor that helps you to do that rather than putting up with something you don't like!

• alant1000
    hace 8 años
    I really like them but they don't look right beside the other tiles, and the entire room would need to be themed modern to make it work.
  • Chantal Ouyang
    hace 8 años

Hey, I feel dizzy looking at them. If you are not going to do the house again, it is important that you make it perfect this time. Good luck!

• Joanna Porter
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you so much everyone. I will let you know what we decide and what the space looks like. In the meantime delighted to hear comments on the down stairs shower room- our architect really got the bit between the teeth with these geometric patterns- I could live with this but my husband hates it!! He thinks that it makes the space feel enclosed and makes him feel very dizzy! After the fabulous post from Joanna Dabrovska I wondered about painting a dark wall. It is a very small room with a shower and a loo and no windows.

• June Hulton
    hace 8 años
    Sorry I couldn't live with them.. Just a few minutes looking at your photos sends my eyes funny... Maybe just a few... But definitely not for me.. Change before it's too late... If you feel that way. Good luck
    Joanna Porter agradeció a June Hulton
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años
    Hello Joanna,

I have to say I like this shower room too and it's not unlike the two I posted earlier in response. These tiles come into their own when used on a larger scale as it doesn't break the scale of the room.. :))
    Joanna Porter agradeció a Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • PRO
    Hepburn Designs
    hace 8 años

Hi Joanna, I love the tiles themselves but not in such a confined space. If your husband 'hates them!' they need to go. You will have the tilers in ripping out the others so get it over with now. Did your architect not clear these finishes with you before they were purchased? Personally I love geometrics but few of my clients would feel the same and I certainly wouldn't push this on them. It is good to take your clients out of their comfort zone but not to the point of them hating it!! I am glad you reached out for advice on this instead of just living with it.

Joanna Porter agradeció a Hepburn Designs
  • laurz84
    hace 8 años
    If you are unsure I think they need to go. I like patterned tiles and have them through my hall, diner and kitchen and was so pleased with the final look. If you don't feel like that now I think you should change them.
    Joanna Porter agradeció a laurz84
  • busylady1
    hace 8 años
    If you don't like them now, they will irritate you forever! I would remove them now if I were you. An architect is not necessarily an interior designer, and although he may think these tiles are right for his building design, he may not have taken your personal taste into consideration, and you are the ones that will be living with the tiles for years to come. By the way they make my eyes go dizzy too!
    Joanna Porter agradeció a busylady1
  • embletoni
    hace 8 años

I much prefer the tiles in the shower room and could live with them, but since your husband hates them, I'd change them now whilst you've got tradespeople in.

Both these rooms are small. Whilst I think pattern/dark looks great in small downstairs loos, I don't think it's practical in small bath/shower rooms, with the possible exception of wet rooms. There's too great a risk of feeling claustrophobic and where people are shaving and grooming, light is required.

Joanna Porter agradeció a embletoni
  • Jonathan
    hace 8 años
    I like them and think that painting the rest of the room a deep colour will help them sit better.
    In the same way that we all get nervous as we are painting a new paint colour until the room is dressed I think it may be the same situation here.
    Additionally no one has mentioned finance- whilst it may be true that you may later change them- this might also be true of something you love now. Consider the cost implication and whether you would prefer to save the money now.
  • User
    hace 8 años

They made me feel dizzy and I am sure I couldn't live with them. I would say go with your gut. It seems like you are fighting yourself to try and like them / keep them. The architect doesn't have to live with it so put aside what they have said. Better to cut your losses now if you are struggling to adjust. Good luck!

Joanna Porter agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Jo Chater Garden Designs
    hace 8 años

Hi Joanna,

I certainly would not be able to live with them. They will date very quickly and if you don't like them now what hope will you have with liking them later.

The tiles make your bathroom a lot smaller and certainly not very restful on the eye. Change them while you can!

Joanna Porter agradeció a Jo Chater Garden Designs
  • stabmonkey
    hace 8 años

Hi Joanna, You don't like them. Your husband doesn't like them. You are never going to like them. Get them changed. Now. Lovely bathroom though. Best wishes and good luck.

• Sarah Barron
    hace 8 años

sorry but have to say go, they are like those optical illusion puzzles. remember its your home so you have to be happy, its better to tell him to change them now than have to change them once its been completed, best of luck :)

• Joanna Porter
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Dear Everyone, Thank you so much for your help and support! I took on my architect who was quite emotional about it all- he loved the bathroom and thought I was *mad* to want to change it. However, I did and the builder helped us find some tiles. I am thrilled with the result. I kept some of the tiles in our bedroom shower, and love them in moderation. Here are some photos.

Very best wishes to all

• embletoni
    hace 7 años

Lovely job Joanna, well done. Delighted you persevered to get a result you are happy with.

Joanna Porter agradeció a embletoni
  • PRO
    Dub M
    hace 7 años
    That's fabulous Joanna. I love geometric tiles but your first few images gave me a headache. You were right to tone it down!
    Joanna Porter agradeció a Dub M
  • PRO
    Lilley Tile and Stone LTD
    hace 7 años
    Love it ... After fixing tiles for over 25 years it's refreshing to see designs that don't follow the norm ... I would keep them.
    Joanna Porter agradeció a Lilley Tile and Stone LTD
  • nicole3238
    hace 7 años

Bathroom looks fab now - well done.

Joanna Porter agradeció a nicole3238
  • tezz4
    hace 6 años

I liked the tile - there was a bit of a different look - its sad that hardly anybody dares to be different. Must be very depressing for the architect to be thrown out but on the other hand it is your space and you have to live with it. I am afraid that l can't agree that plain is anything but .. well, boring.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.