Houzz Logo Print
laura_betchette

Kitchen help!!!

Laura Betchette
hace 8 años
Hi everyone ☺️ what's everyone's thoughts to wallpaper in the kitchen?? We have a kitchen dining area and I was thinking of having a white glitter wallpaper on the back wall? I've taken this sample from Graham and Brown but I'm a bit cautious about wallpapering because I don't know how it would look? We have a new dining table coming which is white and light wood (see below) and I'll be tiling the floor eventually I'm thinking grey like the one below? Oh I've also seen a light In Laura Ashleigh (our house is in the decoration stages so we're a little bare haha!) Thank you for your help :) :)

Comentarios (81)

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

So I had a mad moment and picked up a grey and a putty colour which I thought would look lovely.... Turns out it doesn't! I like the grey but I think the putty needs to be a light grey! Bloody hell!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Look at them during the day. Something like plaster or an earthy colour is quite nice actually so don't despair.. Look in the day and then evaluate how you feel... It may be that you need a slight variation.. I'd say a slight pinky tone for the earthy colour for warmth .. What brand is the paint ? :))

• Conversaciones relacionadas

symmetrical focal point

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi, Provenca The current trend is to install all the high kitchen cabinets on one side, without respecting mirror symmetry. I hope I've helped to answer your question. Visit us at Facebook :-) Gabriela Rojman | puzzle arquitectura
    ...Ver más

Need help on new coverings for chairs and banquet seating .

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hello Janice. I understand you already own the furniture and you wish to reupholster them or dress them, is it correct? Could you send us a picture of your space, so we can give more accurate ideas? Thanks :)
    ...Ver más

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

Q

(5) comentarios
    @Cruca : Thank you for responding We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000. However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000. I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work. It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!
    ...Ver más

Pls help with floor plan design

Q

(0) comentarios
    Gm everybody, My wife and me are trying to design our new kitchen, and we are a bit concern about its location in the house. This is a DIY project, so we are looking for opinions. As you can see in the picture, we are creating the kitchen room at the left bottom side and keeping a garden at the left upper. Our first idea was to locate the kitchen close to the living door (upper in the picture) but we would like to mantain the garden. Thanks in advance for any kind of help!! Rodri
    ...Ver más
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

It was valspar I think from B&Q - my friends recommended it and said it was easy to use so just went for that, i may wait and see :) I was desperate for a darker grey wall and lighter grey for the remainder... But then I looked at the two together when looking and they looked really nice I may see how I feel tomorrow haha

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

These were the colours (I swear it looked slightly greyer in store )

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Well really the only guide is to see it when it's dry. Always a good idea to buy testers first. But you may be able to lighten the stone colour - it looks nice in the pic.. What I do is add a lighter shade until I find what I do want but you would need a white or a cream from same brand and same finish, and a large stick to mix. You'd have to be sure you had enough for the space you want to paint but it may be better than wasting it. Add a little at a time till you see something you want. Again it will dry darker..

Or if you can try and return it if you really don't like it. With any tester pot.. Paint evenly and into pieces of paper a4 size at least. :))

• PRO
    More Handles Ltd
    hace 8 años

As per AJ Interior Styling Ltd, Copper is the new black! You could also consider copper kitchen cupboard door handles

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I'm growing to like the dark grey it's a lot lighter in the light, I think I'm going to change the putty colour to grey similar to these:
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

There you are you see, you'll be happy with the lighter grey as this is probably the complimentary colour you need which you may find easier to work with when complimenting the scheme... Natural light and artificial will have a difference on the colours, so that's why it's good to see it in all lights... then you can really know for sure.. : ))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you for helping me not have a flap!!!! Hahaha
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

No problem Laura, and yes a cool and level head "sees" best! If you're ever in a doubt just give yourself a minute! Or a day or two and look again! :))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I'll repaint the putty colour this weekend and see how it looks :) I'm going to check the grey again when I get home and see how dark it is... It may well be too dark ( I think it'll be a case of I don't know until the table is delivered haha!)
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Well that's a good idea and then you'll know for sure.. It's a good idea to try colours with the furniture and I mean a tester.. You definitely don't want to make a mistake.. If you like it then go for it.. but not before trying it out beforehand.. Also I think a contrast would be good here rather than the whole room... So.. It will indeed give you a very clear picture of how the room is shaping up so I think an excellent plan! You can always add another wall but what you don't want to do is have to re-do any of it.. : ))

• PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    hace 8 años

The darker grey looks absolutely right - you would be surprised how the room changes when you paint all the walls, which is why I tell my clients not to use the testers. Fine for a colour, but you cannot see it in context with the rest of the room. I say go with your gut instinct, (darker grey), paint the whole room, then stand back and wonder. You will not see unless you have painted the whole room. If you are a really uncertain, paint 2 walls darker, then 2 lighter. I bet you use the darker after a while!! Good luck - don't forget pictures please.

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks to you both for your comments :) I will keep you posted!!!!!! ☺️☺️☺️☺️
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Most welcome Laura.. Roger that ! :))

• Chris Jones
    hace 8 años
    Ok this looks a bit busy because it was for Valentine's but if you can stretch the budget for a mirror it'd be a great idea to emphasise natural light double the space and makes a brilliant light show if you have parties when reflecting a disco light onto it ;)
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Wow!!! Haha the most fairy lights- looks lovely :) I was thinking of mirrors for the back wall anyway and was looking for some with a copper edging to tie in with the oncoming copper theme :) great minds ay ;)... Must be the disco idea!
  • Chris Jones
    hace 8 años
    Gotta love a disco! Yeah go for it pricey to get a big piece of mirror big enough to cover the whole thing but it's definately worth not having the join in the middle ;)
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    By way of an update, this is the dark grey at the moment. I really do like it! I'm going to have to repaint it properly I think (I'm getting a little paint brush happy whenever I come into the kitchen
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    hace 8 años

Lovely Laura - will fit in with a softer grey on the other walls. Well done for being bold.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Don't forget the radiator... you just need to prime it first with suitable primer.. Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is good for this... then paint as you have done the walls... It's a bit tricky inside the rad and you only need to go so far so as you can't see any white. No wet clothing on it but that's not good anyway.... Really soft brush so you don't have streaks... Or you could spray it... but... if that sounds like too much work then consider a radiator cover... You can then paint that a grey to compliment the wall.. NB You want to think when painting North, South, no East and West! I find this is the best coverage... : ))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Ensign I love it it's so different and I think with the lighter greys on the other walls it'll work really well :) I'm so excited! Hey AJ,
    So would you paint the radiator too???? Get it all to blend in? Haha I have been painting north south in long strokes (I've banned Luke from painting in the worry he will mix the strokes ) I did consider buying a different radiator but I'm not sure what would be better than a bog standard radiator (if you get me)? I did think a radiator cabinet but I'm thinking I won't have room especially with the new table

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

You're making gr8 strides then! Well there are many styles of rad to go for.... I have painted mine which is why I recommend it.. Until I replace them with old style (I live in an old Victorian flat) I must say I guess it's a preference but to me, there's nothing worse than a boring white radiator on a really dark background! (that was mine as they are! So I decided i'd rather not see them..

See what you think and have a look and consider the interior you're going for.. I love the old style industrial style but of course you may want something sleek... In all cases I rather think they are best when they are the same as the wall colour. Matt finish most definitely not gloss! ... Have a think... Maybe a spray or paint job is the way to go if space is an issue..... : ))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I hope so!!!! Just can't wait to get one room finished and finalised and pretty ☺️ just been looking at light fittings on line and found a website called lightinthebox which has really cheap light fittings so may change my choice of light for something more chandelier esque! I agree thinking about it dull radiator doesn't sound great! Theres some radiators I've seen online which are almost like mirrors and flat but painting would be a cheaper option I guess!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Well look at the budget and see where you want to spend your money.. But I'd have all the rads as a similar style if possible unless you want one to stand out as a feature..

It's a good idea to do a bit of research into lighting as cheap isn't necessarily gr8! It depends what you want to get and that applies to the really expensive which is also not necessarily lovely! Find 3 options and then decide what you think.

Also consider you can make your own bespoke pendant as a option.. Lovely beautiful bulbs and a 5 cable rose for example.. With little hooks shades if you wanted or not and voila!

Also consider a paper and bamboo shade as an option whilst you are thinking, these come in a variety of sizes including the really big! Can be a way to dress a bulb... whilst you're waiting for one! (if you catch my drift!) :) )

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hello Laura,
    Yeah that's right, I was thinking of having a column radiator in the hallway because it's really small and only space for a radiator but I guess it may look odd if I have a random radiator in each room hmmmmm! Yeah I get you, I didn't understand why they were so cheap because the photos look so so expensive! I'll have to just save hahaha! Thank you for all your help by the way... I feel like I need to pay you for this!
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    hace 8 años

With the radiator - please do not put a radiator cover - so last year!! - if you painted it in the same colour as the wall, it would just blend in. We have always painted radiators with ordinary gloss paint - undercoat? not time - just gloss. All our properties are the same, and no problems years later.

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I wouldn't be able to fit one in don't worry haha! I'll bear it in mind when I come to painting :) thanks both!!!!!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Thank you Laura and you're welcome!! :))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    WHY CAN'T I FIND THE RIGHT COLOUR
  • Pat Auld
    hace 8 años
    I really like the grey paint on the left. I'd have that all round :)
  • PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    hace 8 años

London Only- Subscribe to our newsletter and receive 40% discount!

http://www.kitchenwardrobe.com/special-offers.html

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Okay don't panic.. So you have decided you like the dark colour and now need a light to go with it. Is that right? I don't know the valapar paint range so I'll have to have a look at a chart but if that dark comes in a family like some Little Greene's do with a mid and a light version - see if there is one that is lighter version of the same shade. That way it should compliment. Or perhaps ask them to make you a pot of the same but 2 /3 shades lighter. The grey on the right looks earthy and so you need a grey with an earthy tone as some can be silvery, bluish or even a purple tint. :))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hahahaha can you sense my panic and frustration???? Yes love the dark I need a light colour for the other walls ☺️ thank you! I've picked up my F&B colour chart so hopefully I can ask them to make a colour similar to one that's in here to compliment. I agree it's an earthy grey I tried looking last night to see if I could see the colour and it's "family" I may have to go back to B&Q and assess the colour board of strips haha. I think the one up at the moment is silver tint (maybe?) right I shall pull myself together and keep looking!
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hahahaha can you sense my panic and frustration???? Yes love the dark I need a light colour for the other walls ☺️ thank you! I've picked up my F&B colour chart so hopefully I can ask them to make a colour similar to one that's in here to compliment. I agree it's an earthy grey I tried looking last night to see if I could see the colour and it's "family" I may have to go back to B&Q and assess the colour board of strips haha. I think the one up at the moment is silver tint (maybe?) right I shall pull myself together and keep looking!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

Yes go to valapar and ask them to make a few samples of shades of the earthy dark colour.. Have a couple say 2 shades and 3 shades lighter.. You may well find you like them and can use the 3 to create the scheme. I'd stick to the one colour and get variations from it rather than looking at other brands as this I feel will help more :))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Amber I've finally found it
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Yes! Laura, That's a good one isn't it! See how they both look warmer.. : ))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Definitely!!! I'm so happy! It's just going to take a while to cover the last ones we sampled but I'm just happy we finally found the one!!!!!!!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

That's brilliant!!.. : ))

• PRO
    Interiors 4 Living
    hace 8 años

Hi Laura

Try using a strong paint colour on this wall instead, you can change this whenever you like easily and inexpensively!

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    And we're off!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

That's grey8! Laura, :))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    It's really nice and weirdly enough it makes it look bigger!?!?
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The table has arrived :) dads fitting the light today and helping me move the table so it's centralised but I am a happy camper!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Laura,

That'a really nice of your father.. So good to hear you're happy with your results.. The colours work nicely together don't they... And also the rad funnily whilst you decide what to do with it as it works with the chair leather, door and table base :))

• Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    And with the light fitting up :) I'm now thinking I will put some photography art up rather than mirrors because of the reflection in the light fitting.... Maybe either side of the light some big black and white ones in copper frames?
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Yet another shameless update- today we bought the dualit copper kettle
  • Laura Betchette
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    .... Which I absolutely love! I'm going to purchase some copper knives and some marble canisters to replace the ones next to the kettle but I am so so happy with how it looks so far :) we both want an induction hob which may come this year and I would absolutely love some white marble work tops to finish the kitchen but hey, work in progress
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 7 años

Hello Laura,

Gr8 to see you're so happy with your progress. Nice little cooper touch on the kettle! Marble sounds lovely! No harm in taking the time to achieve what you want.. White Granite with a marble appearance might fair better with spills.. Sugar, lemons, wine etc :))

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.