Houzz Logo Print
jjuchli

Ideas for recovering dining chairs and Island stools

jjuchli
hace 8 años
I'm wracking my brsin for ideas on recovering bith my dining room and island chairs. It's an open plan main floor, and so they are only a few feet from each other. I love colour and bold retro prints, but also appreciate something that will last..

Comentarios (13)

• Maureen
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Sunbrella high performance fabric might be a good choice. I would incorporate the color of your walls and have a different/fun fabric on the dining chairs and use a color from it on stools. Mixing fabrics is always interesting.

5621 Sunbrella Brannon Whisper Fabric · Más información

Sunbrella VLM 2002 Heather Fabric · Más información

jjuchli agradeció a Maureen
  • PRO
    Kristin Leigh ~ Faux Artist
    hace 8 años

What if you did both sets of chairs in the same bold stripe pattern? Don't be afraid of color!

jjuchli agradeció a Kristin Leigh ~ Faux Artist
  • drememon
    hace 8 años

Love your home. The chairs are great, and your kitchen. I'd look at commercial seating fabrics in polyester/recycled polyester (Knoll, Maharam, Momentum). You'll find some great discounts at online stores. I've used them on seating, and in our boat and travel trailer. Wear forever, great rubcounts, spills wipe right off. Lots of midmod inspired patterns that would look great with your furniture and kitchen. (eg, Maharam cartouche in admiral, or Knoll abacus in peacock.

Is your floor cork? It's fabulous.

jjuchli agradeció a drememon
  • jjuchli
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you, Maureen and Kristin - great ideas - I love the stripes! Drememon, those are really great looking fabrics, I really like the navy tones! I was even thinking of doing each of the island chairs in individual candy colours, but maybe that'll be too crazy town? A few weeks back I timidly tried using pastels on the dining table to see how to delicately move into ecclecticism, but it just looked sad.

It is cork floor - good eye! It's Wiccander Linn Blush - I was worried it'd be really pinky, but it's very natural looking.

• Maureen
    hace 8 años

Your kitchen is lovely and if you go too crazy on the stools, they will become the focal point, especially considering your dining chair in the equation as well. I think it's always best to compliment what is already there - countertop, floor, wall color, etc. If you want something fun and crazy..I would just add some great placemats or a large colorful bowl.

• drememon
    hace 8 años

I could see that entirely. Three colors of the same print could be great, and not crazy town, if you used just one color of the prints in the dining area.

• jjuchli
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I like the idea of some bolder accessories, Maureen! Some day I'll get the Kitchenaid I covet.. The 'Watermelon' colour looks so happy!

Drememon - something like either of these sort of colour palettes?

• drememon
    hace 8 años

Personally, I like them both. The lighter blue in the second set looks a lot like your backsplash color from the photo, so I'd say that group is my fave for now.Love the red, orange, watermelon, navy, light blue.

I think upholstery is a great way to introduce color, but then, I can do a lot of it myself. My mother taught me when I was twelve. Since I don't have the right machine, I still have to hire someone for some projects, but I've been lucky to find great talent at reasonable prices by asking friends.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años

Leave the stools as is..too expensive to recover. I would paint the wood on the chairs the same tone as the stools. Similar to this:

Wishbone Chair, Wood Nature Seat, Orange · Más información

• jjuchli
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

mamadada - that vinyl is awesome! Drememon, I probably should get a heavier duty sewing machine, the Janome is not always super pleased with me when I play with heavier fabrics, so far it's been a trooper, though! At some point I really need to upgrade to a pneumatic stapler, as well.. Future dreams! JudyG - I LOVE the orange, but I'm not sure if the manfolk will be cool with painting the wood... He's not even super down with recovering the chairs, as they're 'good enough for now.' :)

• mamadada
    hace 8 años
    I don't know how it's done but I know it can be done. What about painting the fabric? Espresso? To tone down the orange. I actually like the orange.
  • drememon
    hace 8 años

From your photo, I think your dining room chairs are teak, and would never hold paint properly because of the oil content. (Not to mention, the wood is just plain beautiful.)

I'd start with the chairs, as they're a fairly simple project to do. If you already have a compressor, you can pick up a pneumatic stapler for under $50 at Harbor Freight, Lowes, or online. Mine uses the same staples as my manual stapler, so only one type to have on hand.

Many communities have adult ed classes in upholstery. We have a local one for six weeks, one night a week, less than $60, and you get to use their equipment, plus you have the guidance of a pro working on your own project.

mamadada, there is a paint made for vinyls. I used it once in the past, but only on plain chair seats, not welting or anything expensive. A friend who had used it before helped. I think it was designed for rejuvenating automobile uphostery. It did eventually wear off in spots, but it looked great for a number of years.

jjuchli, you've made wonderful choices in your home. Whatever you decide, I know it's going to look great.

jjuchli agradeció a drememon
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.