Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

How to install window panels on window that touches wall at edge??

mshutterbug
hace 8 años
I was planning to get grommet style panels with a simple decorative rod to dress up these 2 windows. As you can see, one window butts into the wall. Do I just leave off the decorative end piece on that side and put the rod flush with wall? Or is there a better solution for this type of window? Thanks!

Comentarios (58)

• carolyngarland
    hace 8 años
    Could we see more pictures of the room? Please.
    mshutterbug agradeció a carolyngarland
  • Boomers775
    hace 8 años
    I think it would look odd with only one window dressed. If it were my room I would bring the panels of the big window right to the corner and extend the rod on the other side to match as close as possible.
    Put one or two panels depending on how much width you need on the left side of the small window. That way it looks like each window has drapes on both sides. I've seen rods that work in corners like this or you could just butt the rods in the corner without finials.
    Just move the chest out a bit to accommodate curtains.
    mshutterbug agradeció a Boomers775
  • Barbara Almandarz
    hace 8 años

If you want to dress your window with curtains, you'll need to move the dresser. There's just not enough room for both on that corner wall. Consider adding the same shades on all windows. (Whether you add blinds like on the small window, or colorful shades on all windows). That way you can leave your dresser on that wall with a lovely picture or mirror above it. Remember less is more. Adding too much can clutter a room very quickly.

mshutterbug agradeció a Barbara Almandarz
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    hace 8 años
    Hello

I would use a traditional return rod or use any rod but without the finial.
    I also recommend drapes on both windows. Hang the rod 2-3" from ceiling and about 6" from edge of window and be sure they touch the floor.
    Best of luck!
    KHB Interiors in New Orleans
    mshutterbug agradeció a KHB Interiors
  • Boomers775
    hace 8 años

Roman shades might also be an answer but probably much more expensive. There are some great tutorials on faux Roman shades as another option.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok guys, here's more pics of the room. Tried to get all angles. Work in progress ;) baseboards and window trim still need to be painted (in the whole house). Planning to put the painting (fake painting lol) above the bed and figure out where to hang wedding pic and maybe one or two other photos/art. Oh and I need to buy two big pillows for the brown pillowcase lol, just put it there so you can visualize end result. I just bought the tall skinny dresser cause we needed more clothing space cause our closet is demolished for our never-ending-3-years-and-counting-but-hubby-promises-this-year-we-finish-it remodel :D
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    One more view..
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Oh and just so you can see how far we've come... this is what it looked like when we bought it 3 years ago :) (removed the sliding door and replaced with the big window. personal preference ;)

• PRO
    Curtain Call
    hace 8 años

I suggest using the same treatment on both windows to make the room look integrated, including have the same blinds on both windows. You can purchase a rod with a finial on one end and an end cap which butts the wall at the other. If the dresser is staying where it is you can put panels on both sides of the large window and just on the right side of the other window.

mshutterbug agradeció a Curtain Call
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for the ideas! I just can't decide what to do! We did the corner curtain thing in 2 of the kids' rooms, but their windows were both literally in the corner so it definitely made sense. Reading KHB's comment, I know we hung them too close to the ceiling lol and they are half curtains - don't touch the floor. My son has some short bookcases there, and their purpose was mainly to block the light for sleeping :D And they're a bit wrinkly...maybe I shouldn't show you lol! The builder was fond of putting windows right in corners for some reason!

I want the master bedroom to look especially nice! I also think the two dressers on that wall look a little odd. I think it would look better maybe if they were the same size, but they are what we have. They worked in our old house because one dresser fit nicely on one wall and the other on a different wall, so they weren't just sitting next to each other in a row. Not sure what else I can do though to arrange things in a better way. The bed with nightstands fits perfectly with room on both sides on the wall opposite the window. Maybe we should have made the window a bit smaller when we replaced the sliding glass door so we could have put one dresser on the right of the window. But I do love my big window lol.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Found another "before" picture, which shows you the location of that window a little better. We didn't move it, just replaced it and added the trim. Though the sliding door is now the big window. And a pic with the former owner's furniture. Maybe once we get a closet again I should get rid of the tall dresser and even the smaller dresser and have just the wide dresser. Not sure hubby would be thrilled with the "waste" of the dressers though lol. Any more advice on window treatments and possible future furniture placement?

• Gusto
    hace 8 años

IKEA makes a curtain rod that will curve around the corner, if you want to have the curtains cover both window and the little wall. Could you sneak the tall dresser in the corner by the other low dressers or at the end as you come into the room? Might need to move bed 6" or so, but having all the pieces together would simplify the look.

mshutterbug agradeció a Gusto
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks! You know, the more I think about it, the less set I am on keeping the furniture exactly as it is. Once we have a closet again, the options will be more open. And, we have a bedroom that will need furniture if/when we successfully move our daughters into the same bedroom. Could take one or two of the dressers and use it in that room.
    Beverly - I saw some like the blue/chocolate drapes, but they were more sky blue and I need more aqua blue. I love the look though! I like the idea of the blue on the windows since there won't be much color on that side of the room.
    Gusto - not sure if I know what you mean... it won't fit on the same wall as other dressers without blocking walkway a bit. There is some room next to the end tables, as you can see in this pic. I'm right at the edge of where the dressers end.

I'll have to measure to see if the tall dresser would fit if we moved the bed over. I don't think so, but I'm gonna check it out :) (me with a measuring tape makes my husband nervous rofl!)

• Boomers775
    hace 8 años

I like Beverly's idea. Pretend the small window doesn't go to the corner.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

So just install the panels on each with the rod butting into the wall in the corner for the small window...and normal for the big window? I really don't mind that part of the small window would have to be covered all the time. We don't ever really open it or anything. The big window is the focus. Oh, and I measured...the dressers would all fit on that same wall. But wouldn't that look a little like a furniture store? lol! I drew a little diagram, but it's not to scale...probably pretty badly off actually ;) But you get the idea!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años

To answer your question: do a corner rod.

Even though each window is different in height and size...hang the rod to accommodate the highest window. Use the same sized panels.

County Line · Más información

• Liese Sadler
    hace 8 años

Just another vote for considering Roman Shades, I made mine for 8 windows that needed night covering using black out liner and overlapping the trim by an inch and they worked well to keep out all the crazy security lighting from neighbors. Back to subject:) it took me a week part time to do 3 shades the size of your big window and I'm not a very experienced sewer and now I know there's a nice sew on tube material for the battens which would really make it faster/easier! I like the look because IMO it looks "quieter" and in the daytime they'd be stacked up above the windows giving an integrated line but allowing you to use the wall.

Another option would be to use a neutral shade, maybe cellular ones, then hang long but narrow panels alongside each window to frame them floor to almost ceiling. You'd have the fabric but again still be able to use the wall.

• Lynn G
    hace 8 años

I have a large window like that in my kitchen. I used a thin tension rod with a hook in the center to support the weight. The made simple flat panel curtains and hung them via clips that have rings that go the rod. I'm not much of a sewer, but able to accomplish that fairly easily.

Another thing I saw once and want to try someday is getting a roller blind (the cheap vinyl kind) removing the vinyl and attaching flat panels to that. I've seen it done and a process for it. I thought it looked fabulous! Wish I could find the example I'd seen - they used a fun fabric pattern from Ikea...

http://www.curtaincourt.com.au/images/roller%20blinds/Rollerblind6.jpg

https://www.blindster.com/roller-shades/fabric-roller-shades/

• Mich
    hace 8 años

Ikea has a ceiling mounted rod system that has curve pieces to go around that corner. In my opinion, it would give you a more finished look. The curtains easily slide back an forth and it is not expensive. Here is the link;

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30079365

• Delora Dickey
    hace 8 años

No, no, no. Don't ignore it nor piecemeal it. You'll wind up with a choppy look. Use a curved rod to unite them as a continuous window.

• PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    hace 8 años

There is nothing wrong with having a finial on one end of the rod and not on the other end in this situation. It's done all the time.

Your windows are different heights from the floor, so I would not use a curved rod and treat your windows like corner windows. There is too much space between the two windows to make it look good. It would just look awkward.

Also, please do not use the rods your husband thinks you should use. Those white adjustable rods really only look good if they they are completely covered by a pocket rod curtain. They make opening the curtains impossible, not only because they're make moving the panels hard, but also because they look ugly when they show.

I would hang your curtains just as BeverlyFLADeziner suggested. Her suggestion looks professional and elegant.

• PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    hace 8 años

As for the furniture arrangement. Don't line up your dressers all along one wall. Furniture needs breathing space, and in that arrangement, it doesn't have any. Instead, move the smaller of the two large dressers centered under the smaller corner window. Move the smallest cabinet between the large window and the right-hand corner. Leave the large dresser where you have it.

• Sarah West
    hace 8 años

We had the Same Problem with a Corner Window. We Just left off the End piece and put it flush with the wall.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks so much guys!
    As for the suggestions that I make the shades... as much as I love that idea, this is about the extent of my crafty talents ;)

I am hoping to put a roman shade on my kitchen window actually, and I've seen some tutorials where they use cheap blinds, but it leaves the back unfinished which I think doesn't look very pretty from the outside.

Loribeth - I may have misspoken. My husband doesn't want to use the white adjustable rods. He suggested we use what we used in two of our kids' bedrooms. I posted a pic above, but I'll post it here too. (I know it's too close to the ceiling lol!) It's basically two rods with finials at each end with a joining piece in the corner. I don't even remember now if the corner piece was meant to be installed this way or if my husband just DIY'd it. Either way, it works for my son's room. When his room is clean, it looks nice and when closed the drapes keep out the light :D

Ok, so back to my master bedroom, where form matters to me as much as function :D I don't love the idea of a corner curtain because I don't really want to cover up that whole piece of wall. I like the idea of being able to put a photo or something there. I'm even thinking maybe I should put a chair there instead of the tall dresser. The placement of the dressers has definitely given me some trouble.

As for the suggestion that I put the smaller dresser under the smaller window. The problem is it would block a few inches of window. I've never liked the look of blocking even part of a window, and isn't it a "no-no"?

• leelee
    hace 8 años

The small chest jammed in the corner next to the problem window is another problem. It looks wrong there

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Alright, I got out my trusty "moving men" to try different placement of the dressers lol. As you can see, if I move the medium dresser to the small window, it is a few inches above the window. Doesn't that look bad?

Also - I can't center it on that window without impeding walkspace to that side of the bed.

I also tried moving the tall dresser to the wall next to big window, and it looks odd to me there too.

Normally I don't at all like furniture that is placed diagonally in a corner, but I think maybe this actually works? Still leaves me the problem of where to put the medium dresser, which frankly is much more useful in terms of clothing storage. However, when we have a closet again, maybe we could make it work.

I also tried putting a chair in the corner where the tall dresser is right now. We have this glider that is in my youngest's "temporary" room (until she sleeps through the night a little better, allowing my girls to share a bedroom....but that's entirely unrelated lol!) Once they move in to the same room, there is a rocker in my other daughter's room, and we're going to turn this room into more of a guest/office so the glider won't really work in there anymore. Anyways, I couldn't get the glider through the door (how did he get it in there in the first place? lol!!) I'm not strong enough to pick it up and turn it or however he got it in there. So I measured out how far away from the wall it would have to be and put this chair as a placeholder, ha!

Thoughts??? Ugh. This was supposed to be an easy question. I have no clue what to do now! lol

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Actually the bed could move as much as 9 inches away from that smaller window, so technically I could center the medium dresser there, but I still think it looks odd to have it block a couple inches of window, no?
  • PRO
    LaBelle Maison Interior Design
    hace 8 años

It appears from the photos and your drawing, you have a standard 8ft ceiling height and the usable space is mostly square- which is difficult to decorate, even without the odd window spacing. The current placement of the bed and nightstands make the space look very tight and off balance. I have several thoughts to share with you-one of which you might have never though about.

Place two framed mirrors (minimum 2w x 4h....larger if they are within your budget) on either side of the centered headboard (raise that lovely headboard higher, as the bedding seems to overpower the size and style), with the nightstands in front of the mirrors. Do not use small mirrors, this only adds a cluttered look. The mirrors will reflect more light into the room, and give you a polished, elegant look.

Purchase two larger lamps- with clear/colored glass on the bottom, for added elegance (and a bit of sparkle and glamour) for the nightstands. The top of the shades and the top of the headboard should be at/near the same level. If your nightstands are too small for this type of lamp, perhaps use pendant chandeliers. They don't have to be fancy, but give good light. The cords can be concealed behind the mirrors, and you can purchase a dual/triple plug-in remote control for each side of the bed. This will free up that surface space for other things. Also, buy coordinating lamps for those dressers. (What good are they for storage if you cannot see what is inside those drawers?) The lamp pairs should not all be identical, but similar in size and style. They will give a finished look. Although you have ceiling spotlights (task lighting), if one of you is getting dressed and the other is lying in bed trying to get a few more minutes of rest- you won't have to wake up with all that bright light shining in your eyes.

Drapery panels for this room would look best (and more elegant) if they are the same, and placed at ceiling height- and touching the floor (96"). Keep both window treatments in the same fabric, ignoring the corner. Placing the rod to the left side of the smaller window slightly on the wall, will draw the eye and the visual space difference will not be as obvious.

***ALL this being said...... Would you consider thinking 'outside the box' ? If you are truly looking for something extra special, and extra luxurious- this is it! How about draping the entire 'small window' wall with ceiling to floor fabric, including the window- and centering the bed, nightstands, and mirrors on this wall??? This will also make the room look much larger and elegant.

You would then have two walls for the two dressers. Center a single dresser on each wall (doesn't matter which). Place a 2' high green plant at the end of the dresser that is viewed from the hall. It gives something of interest to look at other than a big dark piece of furniture. Plants give life to an otherwise 'sterile' looking room, even if they have to be fake. There are several 'low light' plant varieties that you can use, if maintenance is not an issue.

Place a large mirror over the dresser opposite the large window. Place the smallest/taller chest on an angle (in the corner nearest this dresser) and perhaps a large piece of art -your 'fake' painting would work great- (framed canvas/print fabric/small carpet/grouping of family photos -something you love) over the other. Place your lovely wedding picture on the dresser with the mirror, otherwise that fake painting will give too much competition.

Use blackout material to cover the existing window, to block out any light that would 'spoil' the effect. Simply staple this to the window frame, as it won't be seen behind the fabric- and staple marks are easily filled.

This project is easily accomplished with inexpensive 'sash' type rods, or use of small lightweight pvc pipe-simply attached to the wall with drywall screws (use a nail to puncture all the way through both sides of the pvc). The fabric will need a "pocket" (to accommodate the rod size); a good measure for fullness is 1 1/2 to 2xs wall width, but this can be done with less fabric.

Another idea is to staple the fabric (no pocket needed-no sewing required) onto 1/2 x 2" lathing strips; flip the stapled side away from you, towards the wall, and attach with screws, butting each lathe strip end-to-end against the other, until the entire wall is 'draped'. Just tuck the fabric edges and bottom under- towards the wall. If you want a tight look, repeat the same technique at the bottom. Both lathe strips and/or pvc should have a screw placed every 30-32" apart, as fabric is often heavy and sagging can occur.

If fabric is cost-prohibitive, solid-color sheets work great for this application, can be easily removed for cleaning, and re-purposed when you tire of the look. The pocket is already there; simply cut a small slit in the back side of the header (large enough to accommodate a rod). Sheets are available in a large variety of prices and colors-you can get that Aqua Blue that you want! And, an added plus is you can also purchase matching/coordinating linens for the bed at the same time! solving the issue of the stuffed brown pillowcase. Use only 2 shams, and two coordinating pillows, as you will not be able to see the headboard with more- and an odd number of throw pillows/odd sizes in different interesting textures & types of materials.

I recommend using the identical material for the larger window. Place rods (or lathing strips) on the wall at ceiling height, with approximately 15" of gathered fabric, to cover the wall and trim only- not the window glass. This allows maximum light and maximum views, which is why you went to the expense of installing the window in the first place. Fabric/draperies placed at the ceiling makes for a more elegant look, and moves the eye upward, instead of stopping at the top of the window. I did not see blinds at this window-if you need/use them, they should match. Should you ever decide to replace them, I recommend 2" faux wood, as they are static-free, insulating, easily cleaned, and the slat size is better for your window size. They are available in-stock at a reasonable cost from Lowe's or Home Depot....and other home builder stores.

Good luck with your project. May you get the 'Room of Your Dreams'.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I tried photoshopping in the panels like Beverly did, but it looked ridiculous rofl! Kudos on the good job done with that Beverly :)

I also tried to get a picture so you can see all of the furniture in the same view (not easy with my little camera on my phone haha). I just can't decide if the dresser blocking part of the window like that looks silly. I just don't love that option, but maybe it's the best one? What do you guys think of my furniture placement options? How would this change my window treatment suggestions?

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

lakeviewlady - I missed your comment when I posted the above. Thank you so much for taking the time to write out such a detailed suggestion!! We thought about putting the bed on the wall you suggest, but decided against it because it would block the small window. So, you are suggesting intentionally blocking the window and pretending it's not there? The other thing is when we have the shades open I love looking at the sunrise out my big window. However, there have been other suggestions where I've initially thought "nah" but then some "outside the box" thinking later and I realize it is a great idea afterall :D So, I am going to have to re-read your suggestion, probably a few times since I'm more visual and I have to try to figure out exactly what you're suggesting.

In the meantime, what do y'all think about my latest furniture layout?

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Check it out... I kinda "reverse engineered" Beverly's great example and photoshopped in my dresser. I think I might have a future in photoshopping furniture? rofl

• ptmatthews
    hace 8 años

I think you could actually get away with lining all 3 dressers up on the wall to the right of the large window, as long as they all fit on the carpeting. It would look like one big piece with a stepdown section. I would put the tall piece on one end (whichever looks best to you), then the large dresser, then the smaller dresser. How you decorate the wall over the 2 lower dressers will be important. A large mirror or large piece of art or large grouping of smaller art will help tie the dressers together.

When I first saw the windows, my first reaction was to suggest curtains on the large window and a matching or coordinating roman shade on the smaller window. And a long low bench in front of the large window would look terrific.

Just remember, whatever looks best to YOU is the way to go.

• Barbara Simpson
    hace 8 años
    You could use the curved rod and angle the dresser away from the wall. I think the lamps are a tad underwhelming as well but it's a beautiful room.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Seeley Guest Bedroom · Más información

Small Space Residence · Más información
    I think this is what lakeviewlady meant about fabric across the whole wall.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Away from the wall like this?
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Those are pretty! I'm not sure if we are fabric-covered-wall people though :) I totally see how a big mirror opposite the window would bring in a lot of light though!
    Thanks so much guys! Any more thoughts on furniture placement? (Thanks for pointing out that ultimately it's about what looks good to me :) I just don't always know until someone shows me lol!)
  • Thou Fool
    hace 8 años

I thought Lakeviewlady had some good ideas. On your graph paper it appears as though you have a lot of empty space. Have you considered moving your bed? I'd move the bed to the wall where you had all the dressers lined up. The bed is typically the focal point of the room and it would be the first thing you see upon entering the room with all your pretty linens. Do the drapery like Beverly suggested, that's very attractive. Move your medium dresser to the left side of the corner window, close to it but not touching the window trim. Move the longer dresser to the big blank wall where your bed currently is but closer to the hall. Now you've got a big empty corner the can accommodate an area rug and a chair and maybe a small end table with a lamp or that tall chest of drawers. The tall chest could also go in that blank space between the windows.

Be sure to share the end result.

mshutterbug agradeció a Thou Fool
  • romcfi
    hace 8 años

There is a room in my house that has one window with plantation shutters and the other windows are drapes that are pulled back to each side of window and the room looks great.

mshutterbug agradeció a romcfi
  • PRO
    Finishing Touches By Dianne
    hace 8 años
    Honestly, I prefer the look of a matching fabric in a Roman shade on the single window with traversing drapery panels on the larger window. This way it looks very integrated and stylish with today's contemporary designs. You could mount the Roman shade either at the ceiling height and do draperies as close to the ceiling as possible or mount the Roman shade directly on the casing of the window and the drapes about three or four inches above the top window casing . you would then remove the existing blind in that window and use the Roman shade for privacy and light control. I have done this in many locations for clients when they did not want a lot of fabric on their walls and they absolutely love the final results. Good luck!
    mshutterbug agradeció a Finishing Touches By Dianne
  • PRO
    LaBelle Maison Interior Design
    hace 8 años

Please check out "Robeson Design" here on the Houzz website! Rebecca's taste and ideas are very similar to mine. You will find pictures of window solutions (and decorating ideas) you might like. She also has videos on UTube that you can view over & over, until you get that visual picture 'fixed' in your mind. Again, good luck with this project.

mshutterbug agradeció a LaBelle Maison Interior Design
  • erinsean
    hace 8 años

I would put drapes/curtains on your big window and on the small window the same except leave the final off the rod side on the wall. Then I would center your tall chest on the small window. It will cut off some of the window but if you put a plant on the floor beside it, should look good. I definitely would cover both windows the same.

mshutterbug agradeció a erinsean
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks you guys!
    I made a more to-scale diagram (measured as best I could with 2 toddler-ish humans running around lol). First is how it is at this moment. Second is the suggestion of moving bed to long wall. We thought about that way back when, but I wasn't sure about the flow into the room...thoughts?
    Also- I ordered this panel online a few days ago. Debating whether the blues are close enough. And whether it's too many patterns/textures for one room since the headboard and bed linen also have pattern...
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

These are the panels in a professional room in the photo for the product listing ;) They were said to be closer to aqua than blue (and are made by the same company, and same "style name" of the bedding), which is what I need..but I'm starting to think I may be better off going with brown or beige. Seems like it's going to be tough to get an exact match. Or maybe I'll go to some actual stores to look and bring one of the pillows with me to check against the color lol.

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Oh, and I will definitely share the end result. I've got a few other threads from a loooong time ago with some great advice, where I will eventually share end result. Maybe this will be the year we finish our remodel :D We have yet to finish a single room, so I haven't yet been able to share!

• Thou Fool
    hace 8 años

After reviewing your new graph paper layout and many of the other photos I have another suggestion.

Look at the photo of your room that has the drapery and your medium chest in front of the small window. Your chest is only a little taller than the bottom of the window. I know it bugs you and it would bug me too but . . . with the drapery on both sides of the chest, the lower trim is hidden and you really don't notice that the chest is a little too tall. After awhile it will cease to annoy you simply because you stop obsessing over it. I think that would be a better location for that chest than to the left of the window. After I finish a project, I know where all the flaws are but after six months, they're all invisible! Because I quit thinking about them.

On paper, in the new layout, the path between the bed and the long chest looks like it may be too narrow and uncomfortable. Push the longest chest to the center of the bathroom wall move the tall chest to the blank space to the left of
    the small window. How does that feel?

If you choose to move your bed to the new location you need to balance the visual weight of the room by having something large or heavy looking opposite of the bed. The big window is providing that function now.

I don't mean to be insulting but having all the chests lined up on that one wall as you enter the room makes it look like a motel room and it feels like you're walking into a big, dark barrier. I assumed you just put them there temporarily until you could figure out a permanent solution.

Sometime what seems to work on paper just doesn't in real life. Gee, and all you wanted to know about was a finial!

TF

mshutterbug agradeció a Thou Fool
  • mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks TF!
    Yes, I had the two lined up there because I couldn't figure out a better solution. And I totally get what you mean... once we are done with this project I will just get used to whatever layout it is :)

If I leave the bed where it is, what do you think of putting the medium chest under the small window (I think you are right - once I have drapes framing it I will be less bothered that it's above the window a bit), keeping the long chest where it is and the tall one in the corner to the right of the big window (like in the more accurate diagram above)...does that still feel motel-y? It seems like that might be the best solution IF I keep the bed on the same wall. I really do love the way the bed balances with the big window, and I love looking out the window from bed. Yet some of the suggestions to move the bed also have appealing points as well.

Oh, and LOL I am very well aware of the risk of asking a simple question on houzz. Last time I did that we ended up moving a toilet! lol! (I haven't yet posted the final result on that thread because we are still working on that room...like every other room haha)

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Any thoughts on whether that curtain matches? I was also thinking I could paint the big window wall the blue shade, then go with beige or ivory or brown window panels. But if I'm doing the same treatment on both windows, I think the walls should be the same color. Would beige or ivory or brown be too blah? Input? I do tend toward beige and ivory lol...I love rooms that are all shades of ivory, but that's not very practical :)

• Thou Fool
    hace 8 años

To answer to your first question about layout; I had written that suggestion in my remarks yesterday but deleted it because in some of your pictures I saw that you had already tried it. It seems to work on paper. How does it feel to you?

Regarding the drapes . . . this is something I struggle with myself. I don't think I'm good with color. I tend to be very monochromatic and I think you may be too. When I see professionally decorated rooms with coordinating colors and fabrics I think they're beautiful and often stunning. But I don't seem to have that knack. My mother was an interior designer but I didn't inherit that gene. I'm better at picking out a 2x4 and building things. I love construction! I think kitchens and bathrooms are so much easier than living rooms and bedrooms. Back to your window coverings - My mother said something like, "If you were putting together an outfit to wear; would you wear these two fabrics together?" So . . . would you?

To illustrate my point I've included this photo of a Roman shade I made.

I have two other windows in the room with the same Roman shade that I want to add drapery panels to so I brought home many fabric samples and asked myself the question, "If that shade was a blouse would I wear any of these "jackets" with it?" The answer was "Eeeeeeewww! No!" and I eliminated all but two.

You asked about ivory, beige or brown drapery. Personally I think ivory and beige would be boring. We tried that in our room and just thought . . . nah. In my opinion the dark brown would be too strong.

You also asked about painting the wall around the big window blue. I think all blue would be better than an accent wall. Be careful if you do. I'm a Realtor and I've never seen a good blue wall yet. I don't know what people are thinking . . . They end up with painters-tape blue, blue-tarp blue, swimming pool blue, all of which are hideous on the walls.

However, since I said the people in my area chose ghastly shades of blue, I found these photos of tasteful blue rooms.

How about this room? It has some of the blues you like but no blue walls.

Sorbara Group of Companies Model Home - Copperwood Home · Más información

This one has very pale blue walls with the dark brown furniture and beige carpet.

This one is all blue, not just one wall.

The Jasper Hill #5020: Master Bedroom · Más información

BTW - your room turned out lovely, such an improvement over what you
    started with. Replacing the slider with the big window was smart.

TF

• mshutterbug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks TF! Yep, you called it... I'm a monochromatic girl. I need an area rug for our family room and I am having to restrain myself from going with a beige or ivory rug. I would do a room with nothing but shades of ivory, but I have 3 kids :D
    I love that first room you posted, with the pops of blue. The last is definitely too blue for me (though blue is my favorite color).

That makes a lot of sense about the outfit. Sounds like what I used to tell my family portrait clients. Put all the outfits on a bed and see if the individual pieces look good together. The goal is to coordinate, not to be perfectly matchy-matchy. Makes perfect sense to do that with a room - thank you!b

That roman shade is beautiful! What a great job! Wish I had that skill :)
    ...still pondering, but leaning toward keeping the bed where it is and putting the medium size dresser under the smaller window...

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.