Christel M
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

christelh's Ideas · Más información

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker. I purchased a home over a year ago, but my living room is still unfinished and I need some help. I would like to add fuchsia pink into this room, I'm just not sure how. Please give some advice on what to do with this room. I would love everyone's input. See the attached photos........Thanks!!

Comentarios (480)

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

S Mistry, it would be nice to sit in this room and have a little peace. For the most part my house is always peaceful.....until my husband comes home and turns on ESPN, then its a nightmare, ha!

• Lainie D'Eon
    hace 8 años

Re: orchid make sure there is drainage in the pot.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Zzmom, I will pick up a few silver frames this weekend. I want them all the same size, will 8x10 be big enough? or should I go bigger? Also, should the inside be white? I'm not too sure that I want to use family photos in this room; my family room has more then enough in there. What other type of art could I use??

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Lainie, I will keep that in mind when I am looking for the Orchid. Someone also mentioned a ice cube once a week, so I will try that too. Orchids are my favorite, they just don't like me, lol!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 8 años

Silver 8x10 are perfect....I would check out your local fabric department and see if you can find an navy abstract print...you could cut fabric and frame it...it really can look great.....the Matt on them should be black or off white...no bright white at all....more like your lamp shade..... It can be fun to incorporate a couple candle sconces into the gallery and use battery operated candles.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 8 años

6 8x10 or 4 11x14. It is a really big space...

check out this image...love the fun gallery they did behind the sectional....maybe do something like that and incorporate some fun silver sayings or funky fun pictures. No worries hanging the different size I can help....or just be sure anything you pick to incorporate is the same size as all the frames if you want them all to match in size.

How fun is this room saturated with black and only accented with white and gold!

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Lovely room! I really like the ideal of silver sayings; do you know where I can find them? And also can you provide an example of how the fabric is supposed to look with the framed art? I have no idea what I'm looking for at the fabric store......sorry:(

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Don't be talked into a picture gallery before you even get your art. And please don't hang family photos in the room. Keep them in family room or bedroom. Don't go out and buy a bunch of frames until you get your art and see if you like it. Art is a personal thing, if you like it keep it. Don't be talked out of a piece you like because someone else doesn't. Several people were not happy with the art over the sofa either, so take it slow.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

I just remember someone talking you into the gray rug, which you hated. I know you want to finish the room, but just, please put a hold on things until you get your art and your chair.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the advice Susan!! There will be no photos in this room, absolutely not. I think its a good ideal to have options but maybe I'm rushing again. I'll look for the frames but hold off on everything else except for the Orchid plant. I'm excited to buy that tomorrow:) Fresh flowers make me so happy:)

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Great, I do think you will need some frames on the wall where the tall vase is now, so that might be a good place to vent your creative juices. Go ahead with those, can't hurt.

• Lainie D'Eon
    hace 8 años

If you are not crazy about having a picture gallery how about a mirror gallery. My friend has one & it's gorgeous! Can use different size & shape frames, frameless mirrors, even some antique frames & have mirror inserted.. quite elegant for a "Ladies room".

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I like the ideal of a mirror gallery, they are quite nice. I'll give that some thought as well. Thanks Lainie!

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I may get rid of that vase Susan, its not my favorite.

• Lainie D'Eon
    hace 8 años

Hey Christel, I just had a "brainwave". How about moving that console table that you now have in the entryway to the opposite wall in the living just for a try. It will give you an idea how a hard piece of furniture would look in there. Haven't really seen it close up but the shape & size may give you inspiration. Show us a pic if you do. Plus no work involved for hubby!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 8 años

Susan no reason to take shots at me about a gray rug......I only showed a picture to help maybe visualize a different approach to her space ...and I never picked out a gray rug for her.....I never saw the gray rug she ordered....Wow Susan you are talking like a jealous child...please stop. We are all adults here...I have been doing professional decor for years....and it takes more than just superimposing items into a space. Sorry Christel this is one of the reasons I hesitated to join in again and give you advise.....I am here if you need me....zmom40@aol.com

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Lainie, I think that piece should stay put for now. Since the chair will be delivered next week, I'm hoping it will be enough to fill the space. If not then I will go another route.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Zzmom, please don't go I truly appreciate all your suggestions. Of course we all have our different views on things, its the way people handle them that matters the most. I'm a bit new to this site so I don't know where the friction is coming from between you two but it's definitely there. I hope I didn't do anything to create it. I think everyone takes things a bit personal on this site not knowing that its just a matter of preference. Continue to stand firm on what you believe in and please don't shy away from my posts. I still have a long way to go with my house and I would really like your input:) I love everyone's suggestions so please lets all get along:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 8 años

Thanks Christel...no worries on your part...you are a pleasure.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

The vase is not my favorite either, but some people have a "relationship" with some of their items :>) so I hesitate to say it's got to go.

@Zzmom I don't have a problem with anyone that posts here. Sometimes we have to try things to see if they work. All I did was remind Christel that jumping feet first into an idea, might not work out so just hang in there a bit. I have no idea who suggested the gray rug or who didn't like the pink art. I just remember there were several who voiced their disagreement (which is ok, as the HO will live with it not me)

Do not worry that it is anything you have done, Christel, I know that you are very welcoming for all suggestions. If you want to work with zz privately that is your choice.

• sheilaksb
    hace 8 años

I would suggest that you add white-painted crown molding, window trim, and a chair rail around the room. Then, paint the area below the chair rail the same white color. I then would suggest you make removable covers for the brown throw pillows from fuchsia-print fabric. If you can add throws or quilts with fuchsia in them to the chairs and sofas, that will help bring color and warmth into the room. I also would suggest some large mirrors framed in white-painted wood or metallic silver to bring in light and brightness. Silk floral arrangements that include fuchsia will help as well. If you like live plants, you might try red-blooming Christmas cactus, which has fuchsia tones in the blooms. I would suggest a fairly large area rug in a black-and-white vine design to add pattern to the room as well.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

No Susan I don't have a relationship with that vase, that can go. It was very cheap so I don't mind storing it in the garage or even selling it at a garage sale, ha!

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Thanks Shelia for the advice but at this point I'm almost done with this room. I will be adding another chair and silver accessories but no painting, chair railing or crown molding. Although I like crown molding, it will not go in this room.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Good that chair will be here next week. Looking forward to seeing them together.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I think the room will look great, I'm excited but my husband will give me that look like, "OMG what are you doing now?" lol.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

That seems to be a common thread among hubbies on houzz. Along with the not wanting to move furniture yet again !

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Lol! So true.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Or the Hubby that says "do whatever you want with the room, but I'm keeping MY chair"

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

Haha!!! Luckily my hubby has no ties to a chair.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi everyone,

So I received the canvas art, and although it's nice the background has entirely too much pink in it. I did read the reviews on their site and lots of people indicated that it was slightly pink. But I would have never imagined that there was gonna be this much pink. Therefore the canvas will be sent back.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Sorry it didn't work for you. Do you have a backup plan? Will you be trying the silver frame gallery? Good luck and will be waiting to see results.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi Susan, I would like to try the silver frames but I am having a hard time finding them. Do you know where I should search? I've tried Wayfair, maybe Overstock will have them.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Not sure what you have locally, but you can try Hobby Lobby or Michaels, they have lots of frames. I know you don't paint furniture, but how about frames? Just get some white ones and either spay paint in silver or brush paint. That's a pretty easy project. You could even paint a couple in Navy to break it up a bit. That way you would have more choices in a white with different sizes and looks.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

The easiest way is to buy the frames, remove backs and glass, then paint. Once you have your sizes, cut out the frame sizes from a roll of mailing paper or whatever you have handy and tape to wall until you find an arrangement that works. then hang the pictures.

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

Christel, I've just read through your entire thread. Your room is coming along nicely. I found 2 packs of 8x10 silver frames at Joann Fabrics. I would buy the frames separate and then add the mats. That way you can get whatever color mats you like. If you're doing a gallery wall, you'll want to get different sizes of frames. Hope this helps!

Christel M agradeció a katinparadise
  • Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Susan! If I can't find the frames I'll try painting them:)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 8 años

Found these and they already have the white mat included....you might want to get the larger 11x 14 you will need less to make an impact on that large wall....:)

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

Aaron Brothers, if you have one near you, is a good source for nice frames at reasonable prices.

Christel M agradeció a S Mistry Interiors
  • Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Ladies. ZZmom I actually brought similiar frames from Ikea this past weekend. Unfortunately they are still in my trunk, I'm not sure if I really like the wood trim. I'll put them up this weekend to see if I like them or not. SMistry I think I will check out Aaron Bros, there's one not to far from my house. I'm sure they will have something I like.

Also, I had a big ordeal with Macys about the chair I ordered, long story short the chair was damaged. The only one that was left was in a store about an 1 1/2 hour away from me.......they will not deliver since its in the store. This means I have to pick it up this weekend:(

The glass table top never came from Overstock, they sent me a replacement and it was another marble top:(. I'm a unlucky woman these days:( I'll update as soon as I get the missing items in:)

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Katinparadise, I will give Joann's a try as well.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Soooo I finally picked up my second chair, received my glass top and brought frames. I'm not sure how my chairs should sit, should I cattycorner them? I will pick up the orchid today. I'm so happy to almost being done with this room.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

It looks lovely. I would leave chairs as they are, if you angle them, it might put table out of reach when seated.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

Just pull them in a bit closer to side table so you can reach over and put a drink on it

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Susan!

SMistry I was thinking too, I'll pull them over when I get home. Thanks!
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

BTW, great job on getting the second chair. It really makes the room.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

I agree. Great job! I just think the solid pink pillows are a bit off against the navy chairs. I would recommend a printed pillow with just a bit of pink in them. Perhaps white or grey based.

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Susan, and thanks for all your help!! You stuck around till the very end (well almost the end, ha). I cant thank you enough:) What type of plant should I get to put in the corner opposite the tall lamp?? I will be removing the navy vase.

SMistry, you might have a point but at this point I want to keep the pillows there for now, maybe I will change my mind later. I know if I decide to start changing things around again I will never get this room done. I'm a bit OCDish, lol!! But I do appreciate your feedback, thanks!!

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Check out the local nurseries for live potted plants, (if they will survive in the room) or you local Home goods for some real looking ones. I know most will lose it for me recommending an artificial one, but I personally cannot keep anything alive so I just look for one as real as possible. Your choice. Pick one that is a good height to balance the lamp and will fill the corner space without restricting the seating.

So glad everything came together for you. It was a pleasure working with you. The room is beautiful.

Christel M agradeció a susan2494
  • Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks Susan!

• Christel M
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Hi Susan, I need your expertise with my bedroom, can you help me Pretty Please
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.