Houzz Logo Print
edubya

How has technology improved your quality of life outdoors?

Emily H
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Rustic Exterior · Más información

Have there been advancements or new technologies that have improved your quality of life outdoors at home? Are there things that are making your life easier or more enjoyable, in your outdoor spaces?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Comentarios (23)

• PRO
    Liza Hausman
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Landscape! · Más información

Outdoor sound system. also have a system in beta monitoring my spa balance/chemicals and tells me when I need to add chemicals which is a HUGE time saver/aggravation reducer.

• Paul F.
    hace 8 años

iPhone controlled outdoor sound, heated cement system, rain sensing shade structure that closes the paddles at the first sprinkle, mini wifi projector to project Netflix on the side of my house at night!

• Paul F.
    hace 8 años

That's what I put in the cement of my side yard here in Southern California. It doesn't take long for the cement to warm and with the temperature maybe 48° outside you feel a radiant heat about 18 inches above the cement as you sit outside. The patio heater takes care of the rest. Outside barefoot with short sleeves on a "cold" winters night... worth every penny!

• PRO
    Liza Hausman
    hace 8 años

That's a great idea!

• Laurel Ennis
    hace 8 años

Topless glass rails for that unobstructed ocean view.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

Outdoor heaters to extend the season we love ours.Outdoor sound system is also awesome.

• diyer59
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Outdoors, I would say lighting the garden area is a bonus, not just for security, but the ambiance it provides. Indoors, well that's another matter! Dishwasher-I hate washing dishes, Washing Machine-I can't imagine hand washing everything and hanging it on a line to dry each week like women used to do, Air Purifiers-couldn't live (literally) without one, Stove-no campfires for me!, Indoor plumbing-oh dear, they used to go to the "outhouse" to do their business?!! Yes, thank you modern technology, the basics make my life much, much more enjoyable...that is, until there's a power failure...then, I'm sunk! ; /

• jkadamscanada
    hace 8 años

We live in a cold and dry climate (Calgary) so first priority was a commercial overhead natural gas radiant heater (Calcana 10' strip model) over covered patio - really gave us outdoor room comfort through 3 seasons - guests really enjoy the warmth. Then put in landscape lighting to feature the amazing landscaping a previous owner (a horticulturalist) installed - LED up-lighting on aspens, a variety of pines and columnar poplars and LED down-lighting on paths, shrubs and beds (lamps all SORAA Vivid, fixtures all by Volt). What surprised me greatly with the outdoor lighting is how spectacular it looks in the winter too with all the snow on the ground and frost on the trees - and it gives so much depth and dimension, even in the house looking out at the view with the Rockies in the background. We control the lighting with Legrand Adorne Whole House RF plugs and switches - the last thing I do when going to bed is look out, enjoy the view and turn the landscape lights outs with a bedroom RF remote wall switch! Next project will be heating the sidewalks and patios to melt the snow.

• jkadamscanada
    hace 8 años

And forgot to mention above, installed speakers outdoors over the hot tub and covered patio (Bowers & Wilkins) which is controlled through our house Savant a/v automation - which allows us to listen to our iTunes collection, internet radio or stream iPod/iPad/iPhone music through Apple Airplay through the speakers - our guests really like this so they can share music they would like us to hear when visiting.

• Luis Serrano
    hace 8 años
    casa ideal
  • K H
    hace 8 años

A gas firepit on my deck. We can have a fire any time without endangering the surrounding forest.

• honey beezwax
    hace 8 años

We just put up 100 Micro-LED string lights on wire across the porch band board of our guest house and it just makes the whole property come alive! It's festive and nurturing and fun. It's on a timer we set to come on for four hours after dark. We love looking out at it in the evening. No more dark, dead space when no one is there. Very comforting. A very inexpensive spirit lifter!

• joannejans
    hace 8 años

finndian, your patio cover is perfect! For outdoor living in the golden horseshoe of Ontario, Canada look at www.jansawningproducts.com and we do structures like this as well as awnings with sun, wind, and yes even rain sensors!

• PRO
    Todd Gordon Mather Architect
    hace 8 años

Gas firepits make every mild-climate home feel warm any time of the year. With most companies providing custom burners, we architects can size the flame along with the width and depth of the flame relative to any configuration we choose. Mountain Modern homes generally tend toward linear configurations while Traditional Mountain homes often end up with circular. The "fire media" (rock, sand, glass...) is so diverse now that you can further exploit your desired aesthetic by carefully selecting the right one in the right color.

• Uko Valtenberg
    hace 8 años
    Robot lawnmover, automated lawn watering, security cameras and sensors, electronic dog fence, electronic insect repellents, soil quality sensors and all kinds of sensors and automatic systems.
  • Chris and Leslie Townsend
    hace 8 años

Clothing made of quick-dry fabrics. Keeps off the sun, the rain, the mud and most of the bugs while gardening and everything's easy to clean at the end of the day. Not as exciting as electronics, but much appreciated.

• clowe1028
    hace 8 años
    An automatic mosquito misting system for the backyard and pool means no repellant needed in Texas.
  • PRO
    Tobin Dougherty Architects
    hace 8 años

One Grove, Portola Valley Residence · Más información
    One Grove, Portola Valley Residence · Más información
    Even in warmer clients heating the outdoor patio surface is a good use of modern technology. System controls and surface sensors that run this passive solar radiant heated system in this case (Supplied by panels on the roof) help to make those cold days and evenings outside even more enjoyable.

• bethiniowa
    hace 8 años

Around my 1924 farmhouse surrounded by corn fields, the most technological thing we have is a motion sensor security light. Otherwise it's pretty much the same technological level as when the house was built -- and I wouldn't have it any other way. I go outside to get away from technology, plus, you can't trust it to not malfunction.

• PRO
    Tobin Dougherty Architects
    hace 8 años

Yes there is something so great about simplicity. However today's technology is much better and easier for us to create comfort that is simple to operate and seamless to the senses.

• Tahir Al Sulaiman
    hace 8 años
    تنباينابنفتبتيعنثفينفساستقستسلصتتيغايتليليايغيغصغصعععبغتبت
  • PRO
    California Fence Company
    hace 8 años

Great outdoors you have introduced with us. Almost everything revolves around
    technology now. Outdoor areas can offer privacy, areas for sociability,
    activities for different skills and abilities, and a place to go to break up
    the day. As for me, technology has made my life more enjoyable and easy. A
    fence can add value to your home that create an inviting outdoor living space
    for you and your family and give you a sense of security.Thanks for nice
    sharing.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.