Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_29944232

Time for the vase to go ... what else can I put in the recessed wall?

User
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

I put this black vase with flowers in this recessed wall area some time ago to fill the large space, with the hope it would be temporary until i found some kind of sculpture or something interesting to fill it. 6 years have past and it's still there! Any suggestions of what i can replace it with? The view from the front door and down the long hallway leads straight to this area so i feel like it needs to be eye catching?

Comentarios (84)

hace 8 años
    I like the idea of the mirror backing and think just one large piece in a complementary colour to your artwork.
    For instance you could buy a large terracotta urn and Bunnings sell great cans of paint sprays. I have recently sprayed an outdoor table with their Granite look spray and it looks great.
    You can be really creative and not break the bank!
    User agradeció a 94236633
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

As you can see ive tried smaller things in this area before and i dont think they have enough impact. I feel it needs to be 1 large item or maybe 3 tall pieces at different heights because of the extremely tall ceiling height.... really not sure.....

• LouieT
    hace 8 años

The niche could be a home for a modern contemporary piece, something simple but colourful & if you are crafty you could even make it yourself!

I'm not advising kitsch but offering some ideas. For example the arrows below could be a shape you like, but then the idea can morph into another form like neon signage, metal work, 3d etc using a shape.

The arrows are from Twiggargerie but essentially they are made from twigs which made me wonder about your rural location having twigs in abundance.

On their website is the gallery showing works in progress of their range of simple rustic shapes including ladders, 3d cross, bird house & outlets.

It also made me think of what you could make yourself using something found & spray painted to your choice of colour. Crazy idea is to paint something found that you like the shape of spray it...gold/silver/black/white/red/pink ???

User agradeció a LouieT
  • dohraime
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

A metal sculpture perhaps? Or

Or one using mirrors but with a strong colour backdrop to set it off.

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

Kerry, please don't hate me for saying this, but I think you have o/d on Houzz and are trying too hard. Very easy to do. Susan is on the right track when she says to put some "you" in the room. Looking at all your photos, I see a beautifully decorated house, but I don't see a home, I don't see people in it. I'm curious with your artwork - great statement piece, but is it just that or was it something you absolutely fell in love with, couldn't live without and HAD to have. You can decorate your home from photos, but you finish it with your heart. That is what makes it a home.

The issue now is that you have that very striking artwork, which does look great, but to me that is now the focal point in the room. Dressing up that niche is going to either detract from the artwork creating confusion to the eye, or fight the artwork for supremacy and create a very messy wall. I would be inclined to keep the niche simple and personal. Whatever you do though has to compliment your artwork but stay quietly in the background. For this reason, I would definitely not put a mirror on the wall but definitely one nice statement sculpture piece would look great. I can understand how limited you could be living in the country but this is when you can really challenge your creative abilities. Maybe family members have some beautiful old china hidden away they never use. Think outside the square.

romantic home · Más información

debora carl landscape design · Más información

Succulents look great planted in a interesting bowl.

Do you have some knickknacks or memorabilia of your own you could display in a bowl or an interesting dish. Any family heirlooms? Op shops are often great places to find things, it is just a matter of having vision and looking at possibilities.

I do like the black plate there also and the glass shelving has possibilities, you just have to ensure what you put on them is not too cluttered. Maybe a few family photos in silver frames. If you were to go this way, I would not make things permanent. Change things around to suit your moods and the seasons - this will help put your personality into the room. Don't plan everything, just let it happen, you will know immediately what looks right and what doesn't as you do it.

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

Kerry, I really like those yellow flowers, but the vase is wrong, it is too tall cramping the flowers in the top space and too heavy. You keep saying about the height of the ceiling and I think this could be confusing you. The niche has been built proportional to the ceiling height - it is perfectly placed for that. What you are now doing is decorating the niche - everything has to be proportional to the niche. Do you have a clear glass vase, not as tall or bulky as the white one to put the flowers in?

User agradeció a olldroo
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes thankyou for that observation...youre absolutely right. Ive had personality and familyart and clutter over the years , kids grown up now and left home and i want clean lines and minimalism without the clutter. I do have photo frames and family pics in other areas. This is my personality....and the tall ceilings and number of recessed areas in my home throw me for a six as shops generally dont cater for that size.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

glass vase kind of disappears...and prob not tall enough.

• dohraime
    hace 8 años
    Another vote for the yellow flowers. I'm really liking them.
    User agradeció a dohraime
  • dohraime
    hace 8 años
    Try pop vase on plinth of some kind. Even if a small box or books just to see what the added height does.
    User agradeció a dohraime
  • olldroo
    hace 8 años

Then I know exactly where you are coming from, I've just spent the last three years doing this. I hope your family too are impressed that mummy can actually design something herself, you are doing a great job. Definitely the ceilings would be a challenge, I have one 9ft ceiling and that is bad enough. I have been focussing more on keeping the important things at eye level to enjoy and it seems to be working. To me, when you enter the room you get that great feeling of space, but once you are actually IN the room you only see what is immediately around you, if that makes sense. I just have to keep remembering to look up to keep the spiders and their artwork under control.

I really envy your niches, I would have loved some of them, but no one else approved. I think it was a wise idea to put them into the rooms with the high ceilings as to me it does make decorating easier if you just focus on the niche itself. Good luck, I hope we get to see the end result.

User agradeció a olldroo
  • olldroo
    hace 8 años

Kerry, do you have your own shop there? It looks great, I was hoping the green stalks would come out like they have, it adds some dimension to it all and the clear glass fits your minimalist style. I love the "airy" feeling clear glass gives too. I don't think you can go any taller as that is the height of the flowers. Leave it there for a few days and if it just doesn't work for you then at least it is one thing we can cross off.

User agradeció a olldroo
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    hace 8 años
    I think artwork would be best. If can sort out lighting or it too it would be quite lovely.
    User agradeció a Jacinta O'Brien
  • acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años
    So many great ideas already..how about painting the back wall as one of the colours from your painting and then put two tall vases of different shape and height in clear glass and add those yellow flowers in it. Or how about moving that colourful painting in there if it fits and get another one to go on top of that ottoman..I saw some nice one in Houzz shop
    User agradeció a acharyaanisha
  • acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años
    https://www.unitedartworks.net/
    Checkout this site for some ideas
  • acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años
    Here is the one that I liked..these colours would work well if you're getting another artwork since you already have one that is striking/colourful...they will both get to be the heros in their own ways
  • skibilly3
    hace 8 años
    I like the yellow flowers in the glass vase. The glass vase is simple and classic...all you need to do is paint the back niche wall white and add some long willow or green branches to the yellow flowers so it balances out the height of the display
    User agradeció a skibilly3
  • cloudpants
    hace 8 años
    I love the bright yellow flowers. Another idea would be to paint the back in chalkboard paint and write messages to your guests who would see them upon entering... eg: "Come in if you're beautiful", "None today, thanks", "Well look who it is!" etc.
    User agradeció a cloudpants
  • KK1000
    hace 8 años
    I would still have a mirror behind the flowers because the recess throws a shadow on the upper part and looks dark and even if you have artwork or whatever you like it's still going to happen you want see the top part of picture or sculpture. The othe option is to install a spotlight .
    User agradeció a KK1000
  • acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años
    What a great idea cloudpants :) Message on the back wall for your guest or how about some wall decals in black letters.. You can custom make them in Etsy..have few lines from your favourite song maybe.. And of course the glass vase with yellow flowers and some (green branches)like skibilly suggested at the front :)
  • cloudpants
    hace 8 años
    I just thought of another message for the blackboard.. 'Look what the cat dragged in' lol..
    User agradeció a cloudpants
  • acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años

Lol.. All the guest need to have a good sense of humor for that..or you can add *just kidding at the end lol

• constanceandlulu
    hace 8 años

How about knocking out the back of the alcove so you can see through to the next room. Keep the light, just knock out the back panel! You could add glass shelves and add a glass/vase collection either way.

User agradeció a constanceandlulu
  • acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años
    How about a wall mounted aquarium like these...
  • Kerri Scholl
    hace 8 años

I would consider addressing the area as a whole wall instead of just a niche. I think things are getting lost because you're focusing just on this small area of your wall. Pull the eyes around the area by adding something on the floor like a simple dark chair or a bench with some timber to move the floor upwards, layer with a stunning colourful textured blanket and a book. In the niche, I would get a light, such as a simple battery operated led because you'll only need it when guests come over, and place a long and narrow piece of metal or mirror with a metallic frame or piece of greenery, or make the lamp the statement piece. That should give you the feature that will draw the eyes up.

As another side note, be careful adding a mirror to that niche, or you might end up doubling the length of a very long hallway.

Another option, and relatively inexpensive, would be to put a feature paint color there. Something that brightens up that space and gives you more options to play with colour. I love metallic and textured paint to give subtle glamour. A very high end wall tile also gives the same effect for a little more capital. Mount it to a board so you can easily remove it and not pay a fortune.

• Stefanie Suryak
    hace 8 años

Kerry I am suggesting to put a mirror inside the niche and a couple of simple glass shelves. The focal point should incorporate some very beautiful pieces by borowski hand-blown glass pieces. They are available online, eg. Peters of Kensington and other website. As you have mentioned the view from the front door and down the long hallway leads straight to this area. It needs to be eye catching, to tie with your beautiful abstract painting and it would definitely be a talking point. The Borowski glass pieces are not cheap but worth the investment. You could re-sell them as they are collectable and in high demand.

Happy decorating.

Stefanie

• Kim Westwood
    hace 8 años

what about a 3D wall hanging to cover the entire space. You could have one made to fit. If you are in a rural area there are lots of art people around these areas. Place like Nimbin & Byron Bay are full of people making things, I'd go looking at your local markets. I do make wall hangings with a pocket on the back so you can hang from a rod in your recess. all types of materials can be used to embellish, feathers, even shells can be attached, driftwood can be tied. Just a little imagination is required.

• decodilema
    hace 8 años
    How about staggered glass shelves - 2 on one side & 1 on the other. Not evenly placed & not the same length. Then you could place a plant, some books (maybe on the base), and a few treasured nick nacks - using the colours of your beautiful artwork.
  • decodilema
    hace 8 años

Sorry, I couldn't find a photo, so have done a very bad sketch for you.......
    You could still use your lovely glass vase with the yellow flowers too!

• kiwi65
    hace 8 años
    If you're a bit artistic you could make something like this - I made it by covering a mannequin torso in mosaic - not a quick project though!
  • megadeath
    hace 8 años

Shelves and books for some soul. Or greenery- plants.

• PRO
    Lirash
    hace 8 años

Twig Framed Iron Round Wall Mirror Decorative Display · Más información

Boss Rectangular Mirror – Silver · Más información

Hi Kerry, If you are looking for a mirror, i would suggest you to kindly visit our page and website www.lirash.com.au as they have got variety of products all made in wrought iron.

Regards,

Lirash - the wrought iron gallery

• LouieT
    hace 8 años

Find a vase like this one...thanks to another dilemma

https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/vase-gets-a-new-look-dsvw-vd~3598839 by the lovely user cloudpants

http://www.houzz.com.au/user/cloudpants

• PRO
    Strictly Comfort
    hace 8 años

How about a stunning sculpture - metallic finish with a nice fluid line. Maybe like this?

https://www.strictlycomfort.com.au/decor/sculptures/sculpture-694.html

By the way, absolutely love the artwork on the other wall!!

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 8 años

Get a vase in another colour from the large painting, and keep real flowers in it.

• PRO
    WA WALLPAPER
    hace 7 años

WALLPAPER, though too much to choose from, haha

• krc33
    hace 7 años

Wow - a lot of great ideas. Yes, the aquarium sounds good but does require a lot of work. The metal sculpture, as shown by dohraime, looks good too, although I would consider either a mirror/coloured background, so as to not lose the overall concept trying to be achieved. I quite like the red sculpture, displayed by Strictly Comfort. This on its own should be enough to fill the space sufficiently. I also agree that a mirror/coloured background would help showcase the existing black vase you had in place, should you wish to keep it, or you might try some living plants (a bouquet/fern). All the best with the project.

• allanaspree
    hace 7 años

I think your vase with yellow flowers looks very good but perhaps needs a bit more punch. Perhaps a black vase & mix some red or pink with the existing yellow flowers (can't discern what the exact colour it is in your painting from the photo). To bring it all together perhaps consider changing your white lamp shades in your hall way over to black to connect back with the black vase as the white ones are disappearing a little into the wall. Cobbled together some pics to demonstrate what I mean. Good luck.

• amwants
    hace 7 años

Place a mirror at the back, glass shelves & turn it into a cocktail cabinet

• Chloe Ellenbacher
    hace 7 años

I would get a coloured picture, that is in the same colour scheme as your other lovely picture, and put it in there. (But not exactly the same style- so it's not too matchy matchy). That would look great as you walk in the front door.

• PRO
    Victoria Ross Designs
    hace 7 años

I see this niche as the perfect proportions and depth for a trompe l'oeil ...deception of the eye ...looking beyond to an imaginary balcony and /or garden scene!

This needs to be painted realistically to draw the eye down the hallway through this "window" to the outside. You even have a windowsill!

• blueskies60
    hace 7 años

If you are still reading; I think you need to move the existing picture into the niche (re frame if necessary). It is very strong and will fight against anything else. (Traditionally the right hand side of a stage draws attention more than the left). Then remove your white bench and replace with a bookshelf or plant (nice new project). At the moment it feels too symmetrical having the same rectangular shape on both sides of the opening. Sorry if this was already suggested - haven't read all posts. Love to see end result!

• cherryredhomeandliving
    hace 7 años

Have you considered Sid Dickens Tiles

• robyn
    hace 7 años

Hi Kerry – I believe it needs to be simple to fit in with
    your décor of your room – therefore I suggest a candelabra of your choice –
    black wrought iron, silver, grey or white or wood if you have wooden floors.

• girlguides
    hace 7 años
    Wow soo many suggestions - definitely something dramatic to balance other painting and stand out from hall Either art or sculpture or sculpture and green plant No more brown / need to lighten it up!!
  • tassieheather
    hace 7 años

Just paint the niche in a light blue/turquoise colour to match in with the painting and make the splash back in the kitchen pop.

• Carol Jones
    hace 7 años

Absolutely agree with blueskies60 !

Remove the artwork/bench/plant that's on the left and replace then with either a bookshelf or a tall chest of drawers. Perhaps the plant can be repositioned into the corner on the floor where this troublesome niche is (there seems to be more than enough light there for a plant) and just place something calm and simple in the niche itself - perhaps a Japanese style scroll or pen and ink art work set off with a more rounded object sitting in the left corner of the niche; a gorgeous rock, a lovely candle, a calming statue...

If you have (my preference) a chest of timber drawers on the left where the current art work is, you'll break up the symmetry, have more storage and have another surface upon which you can place a changing display of objects. This is the area that I would utilise for a mirror.

• backbone59
    hace 7 años
    I would take the painting off the other wall and use it to cover the niche, I hate niches!
  • Susan Ballard
    hace 7 años
    Time to end this post The problem is indecisiveness AND 2 many options
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 7 años

Kerry has left her profile.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.