Houzz Logo Print
heather_witte7934

Help needed on redecorating entry

sunshine74 w
hace 8 años
Help is needed on redecorating this long hallway entry. I hate the door, but it's an expensive Pella that is in good condition. Perhaps I should paint it? I hate the floor and am pricing out replacing it. But I don't know what to replace with? Suggestions would be helpful. I also need to change out the light fixture. The ceiling is too low for a chandelier, so I need a flush or semi flush. I'm not sure if I should go with a crystal fixture or not. Also thinking of wallpaper or painting. Hallway table is new, but I can use it elsewhere if necessary.

Comentarios (18)

• Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Yes, i agree, if you could pain that door it would really make a difference.

• PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    hace 8 años

Hi, Here is what I would recommend to a client with this hallway: paint the door a high-gloss creamy white. Remove the wallpaper and replace it with a wide vertical striped wallpaper, perhaps a cream paper with wide gold or butterscotch stripes. Or just choose a happy color, such as pale green or gold. Paint the crown a creamy high gloss white. For interest, paint the ceiling a pale blue. Over your hall table you could place a large rectangular mirror with a 2- 3-inch frame (It can be almost the width of your hall table). For the floor, select a large format tile (24 x 24"); a cream or travertine-look tile would be nice. Lay the tile on the diagonal to visually expand the space. Or you could have a large sisal runner made to fit the hallway; you could have a 3-inch contrasting band of chocolate fabric or leather attached all around the outside edge of the runner. Make it the width and length of your hallway (unless the door won't go over it; then start it after the door swing.) At the kitchen door end I would look into expanding that opening as much as possible (I cannot tell what is on the other side to the right). Remove the door casing and take it up as far as you can and make it as wide as you can. I hope this helps!

For the ceiling light you could go with a star-shaped fixture that is ceiling light, there are lots of nice options for ceiling fixtures now. Here is a long hallway that I designed for one client:

Estate Home · Más información

Good luck with your project! www.marleneoliphant.com

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

A good flooring person can readily match the wood and stain you have in the adjoining space. Your console table looks quite modern compared to the style of the woodwork, floor and door. Foyers should reflect you, your style and offer a hint of what to expect in surrounding rooms. Does this table do that? I'd suggest you start from scratch here, removing everything and getting the floor installed first. Update the door with new glass all around with a more modern feel and no brass. Then I'd paint the door a glossy black (inside and out.) Any rug you put down should relate to rugs in the room that opens into the foyer. Show us some more pix so we can help with specifics to bring your foyer and other spaces into harmony.

• sunshine74 w
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    This is my adjoining space. As you can see, the console table coordinates with the formal living room furniture. The oak door coordinates with the kitchen cabinets.
  • sunshine74 w
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Can the glass in the sidelights and door light be replaced without replacing the sidelights and door itself?
  • Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Hi, I know you didn't ask about this, but in the living room pull the rug over so you can put the front feet of the 2 sofa's onto it. It will look so much better.

• Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

At Home Depot you can have a sisal type rug made to the exact size you want and they bind it in a choice of colors. I have had a couple made and they are quite reasonable. You could have one made that almost covers the tiles.

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

Hi Sunshine. You can replace the glass in the door and sidelights without replacing the door. I'm doing it myself-changing an ornate leaded glass to a more modern rain glass. It's costing me $350 to replace a full glass insert in my door. If you don't want wood at your entrance, I would consider having tile done that matches your kitchen since they connect. It would open up the space and make it appear larger to have the same flooring running throughout. I would also add a larger mirror over your console and group your decor. Vase on one side and lamps with pictures overlapped in front of it on the other. Hope this helps!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I stand by my original advice - replace the tile with wood and paint the door to break up all the wood. Then put the table back in, but I'd change out all the accessories you're using with it. To bring an element from the living area to the foyer, consider a semi-flush drum light with some brass to repeat the bit of bling from the ornate mirror.

Three Light Natural Aged Brass Drum Shade Semi-Flush Mount · Más información

Four Light Vintage Brass Patina Drum Shade Semi-Flush Mount · Más información

• Amoeba-meba
    hace 8 años

Repeating some advice already given... Paint door white to match crown. Replace tile with wood to match adjacent living room and stairs. Introduce color in a longer wider runner. Echo this color in accessories on console table.

You have lovely rooms. This foyer just needs to connect them a little better!

• october27
    hace 8 años

paint the door black change out the sidelights- wallpaper would be nice- thats a personal choice- wood floor- light choices from others look great

• outshopping422
    hace 8 años

Love the idea of painting the door black!! I would leave the floor and just have a runner made to cover the dark tiles in the middle :)

• october27
    hace 8 años

That would look wonderful and you won't have to worry about dirt showing on that rug! Bravo!

• sunshine74 w
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Love all of the ideas. Love the idea of a black door, but it just would not flow with the rest of the rooms. I suppose white would work.
  • Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Go black - black goes with everything.

• october27
    hace 8 años

Black does not have to match rooms- it grounds things- lends importance- look at more black doors and see how others do it- you have to like it- you are the one who lives there- good luck

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.