Houzz Logo Print
adamheiman

Additional Tile Needed for Bar Fridge Area?

adamheiman
hace 8 años
Do I need to add additional tile in front of the empty space where the refrigerator will go? Tile was laid just in front. The rest of the flooring will be carpeting. Decorator told us we needed to a curve of tile in front to where the bar starts. Builder said it was unnecessary.

Comentarios (9)

• live_wire_oak
    hace 8 años

Tile needs to go under all appliances and the cabinets need to be set to the finished floor height or you will have technical issues with clearances.

• S Bailey
    hace 8 años

Learned that lesson the hard way in my former house. Not only must the tile go under the appliances, it must go under the counter housing the dishwasher. Otherwise, you can't swap it out later without breaking the tiles in front of it. And buy MANY more extra tiles than you think you'll ever need. They're cheap, relatively easy to store, and virtually impossible to find years down the road if you need to do a repair or make other changes.

• adamheiman
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's not for the space under the fridge. It's in front of the currently laid tile piece where there's currently no flooring. The question is do we need to add additional tile or can the carpeting go there? It's really an aesthetic question.
  • acm
    hace 8 años

This is really unclear. I can barely make out the tile, but are you talking about just having one tile in front of the fridge and then immediately carpet? that sounds super strange. I would try to unify the kitchen by having continuous flooring from the fridge to the bar, either a rectangle or a curve. This is not "necessary" in the structural sense, but for sure it will look silly otherwise.

• adamheiman
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    acm - that's exactly the issue. Sorry, easier to show than explain in writing.
  • PRO
    Trans-Pacific Design
    hace 8 años

It might be easier for everyone to visualize what you're saying by taking a photo of the floor plan and posting that?

• Elaine DiMasi
    hace 8 años
    What is meant is the shape made by the edge of tile. As it is, if you stand looking at the fridge with bar on left, you are on carpet with a 90 degree corner at your left hand. Easy for the builder to install. The decorator wanted to see a curved boundary instead of a corner. So that you walk a path away from fridge to behind the bar and you stay on tile. Instead of stepping from tile to carpet to tile again to get from fridge to bar. I agree with the decorator. That 90 degree corner will look stingy. You want this entertaining space to look generous.
  • PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    hace 8 años

Our design might help you.

Wicker Park Two-Flat Single Family Gut Rehab - Kitchen · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.