Houzz Logo Print
belinda818

Gingerbread house facelift - exterior colour

Belinda Rodriguez
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

It has now come time to extend and reclad our "gingerbread" house as called by our surrounding neighbours.

Our western red cedar boards are well worn out so we have decided to give it a face lift and have chosen to reclad with Hardie Sycon Linea cladding.

We will be replacing all our aluminium Windows and doors with white frames so now we need to decide what colour to paint the exterior of the house. The roof will remain the same...zincalume colourbond profile.

I am open to suggestions for our exterior paint colour. My thoughts at this stage would be to go with a neutral colour (maybe a warm grey) with white window trims but I would like the colour to be strong enough that is contrasts against the roof.
Your thoughts??

Comentarios (13)

• sally wastie
    hace 8 años

Hi belnda love your house very cozy looking i would not go grey to dull how about colour bond cream keep windows white and around the windows half strength cream just try it on your ceder we are going to clad our house in sycon as well the smaller size replacing the weatherboards and hardyplank cant wait good luck with it i am not a big fan of grey sick of it every where sally.

• Belinda Rodriguez
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Sally, that's for your comments. I am not really a cream person. Also, we live close to a dirt road so I am after a colour that won't look "dirty" too quickly. I also would like the exterior colour to blend in with our interior colours.

All the best with your cladding too!!

Here is a pic of our kitchen so you can get an idea...

• sally wastie
    hace 8 años

Kitchen looks great belinda we are not up to that stage yet .

• PRO
    Spacesmiths
    hace 8 años

Belinda, with you on cream or beige, it's everywhere. To make your white windows, roof and verandah (and those cute awnings on upper windows, they really help balance the proportions and give your facade some punch) how about a deep, dark grey (deeper than your splashback) - or even charcoal or black stain? Timeless, crisp and classic. There are now light reflecting paints that mean you can go deep and dark and it won't warp the boards. Cover (or at least paint out) the ugly old meters so they disappear. Then pick out some mid greys (a palette of two or three for interest) to paint the veranda posts, deck and steps. Since you don't have a paintable front door, you can add your pops of colour with plant pots, potted flowers or a couple of beaut old chairs (rockers?) to sit on that lovely front porch.

• Belinda Rodriguez
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for your feedback Christine. Your thoughts are exactly what I am leaning towards. We get our new cladding on over Easter so I am looking forward to trying a sample pot of Dulux Western Myall with Vivid white for the trims. Was thinking of staining our new hardwood decking.

• mellyshea
    hace 7 años

I like the warm grey option, really makes the white pop :)

• mellyshea
    hace 7 años

Ps - I love your gingerbread house too!

• wuff
    hace 7 años
    Looking forward to updates..love your 'gingerbread house'
  • siriuskey
    hace 7 años

Any up dates on your lovely ginger bread house,reminds me of the the Barn on Fixer upper

• belindarodriguez
    hace 7 años

Hi siriuskey

Thanks for the interest in our reno. It has taken just on 1yr to get it to this stage. I have done all the painting inside and out and this hot weather has really slowed me down outside.

Anyway, here is an update.... it is so close to being finished. I decided on Dulux Stepney for the outside colour with Dulux Lexicon quarter for the trims. I still have to finish painting under the verandah but the top of the house is complete.

• siriuskey
    hace 7 años

Looks fantastic, poor you with all the heat to deal with enjoy

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.