Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: What do you put above your fireplace?

Tom Flanagan
hace 8 años

A focal point to any room, a fireplace gives every space an axis to work off of. But what do you place above it - a mirror, a piece of art, a TV or quite simply...nothing at all?

Vote in our poll and comment below!

Beach House - Cornwall · Más información

Mirror
TV
Art/Canvas
I put things on the mantlepiece
Other - tell us!

Comentarios (43)

• Laraine Clarke
    hace 8 años
    I would like to try a TV over, it would help me layout the rest of the room, but it would spoil the room when not in use. I have a picture of a country scene that I love to visit in quiet moments.
  • sandra_minto71
    hace 8 años
    I love a fireplace and mirror above I feel it's the heart of a room.
  • Louise Clark
    hace 8 años

We have a beautiful picture, which is perfect viewing from our sofa. I do love a mirror though; especially if the room is small and/or dark.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I have a Regency-style girandole mirror with gilt entertwined dolphins above the mantel in my main parlor. I have an engraving of one of my ancestors above the mantel in the dining room. In the lower parlor, I have a great old albumen composite of the officers of the CSS Alabama, which was built in England. One of my ancestors was an officer on board for her entire cruise.

• Catherine Hounslow
    hace 8 años

I have a large oak mirror .It makes the room look larger .

• jabudlamini200
    hace 8 años
    I will put an art
  • LouieT
    hace 8 años

Ours is freestanding so no mantel ;)

My Houzz: Brisbane Pole Home Transformation · Más información

• User
    hace 8 años
    Big mirror and decorative objects on the mantelpiece. Big art is also lovely. It's a prime focal point so has to be made the most of.
  • Josephine Geeson
    hace 8 años

I have yet to decide what to put over my fireplace as it is an open granite affair with a large granite lintel that takes up the gable end wall of the cottage. However, there is about 8inches of wall (sorry to use old money) between the top of the lintel and the ceiling. I've toyed with several small objects/paintings one long thin object/painting etc, etc and so the endless permutations go on- hence the blank space!!

• kim edge
    hace 8 años

Mine is spookily very similar to 'Southernpointofview'. Would be interesting to compare our other rooms. It's not clear in the pic but there is a wood burning stove in the fireplace and that 'Perky' of Pinky and Perky puppets fame hangs off the side of the fireplace. In my Regency home I always like to add a touch of humour to the decor. It makes people smile.

• walksy
    hace 8 años

To take advantage of the views, I turned an unused bedroom into an upstairs sitting room, but It needed a focal point so I chose a contemporary fire and surround and placed the TV above. I think it has worked well.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    hace 8 años

The 3 most common wall objects over a mantel are:

• Mirror- reflects light, but people have burned themselves by standing too close to the fire to see their reflection
    • Artwork- check to make sure that rising heat won't adversely affect the artwork, e.g. crazing of oil paints.
    • TV- again, check that rising heat won't affect the TV. LCD TV's particularly susceptible.
  • John Garwell
    hace 8 años
    Artworks by Steven Prince and John Maltby. Picture off centre.
  • Andrew Wilson
    hace 8 años

These are pretty cool.

We have one that gets lots of comments. So much so we have named him!

http://shop.bendgoods.com/products/long-horn

• Ruth Smyth
    hace 8 años
    Love my TV above my new fire. The sandstone fireplace and mantelpiece stop the heat reaching the TV. It has freed up space in my sitting-room.
  • peediewee
    hace 8 años

i have a large painting which is off centre plus a large glass jar with some dried honesty it it. it's got a kind of retro feel.

• egghead123
    hace 8 años

I think mirrors always look well and of course help brighten a room. I personally hate tvs over a fire as I think the angle for viewing is weird and they aren't the most attractive feature usually..

• Jane Bateman
    hace 8 años
    Candles and art (or tat!).
  • Moody Cat
    hace 8 años

Large mirror but (not that I put them there) there are often a couple of cats up there too.

• PRO
    Wren Fireplaces Marble and Granite
    hace 8 años

A mirror adds depth to the room

• PRO
    Thread Architects Ltd
    hace 8 años

I voted for art to add another element to look at above the fire.

• pink elephant
    hace 8 años

No one's mentioned it yet but we've got an oversized clock above ours...

• Dean Durrant
    hace 8 años
    antlers.. big ones!
  • PRO
    Rowena Comrie
    hace 7 años

Art adds unique class to a room

• PRO
    P & P Maintenance Services
    hace 7 años

I put a big picture of myself above the fire place. I find it keeps small children and animals away from the fire.....

• PRO
    Nostalgia Fine Antique Fireplaces Ltd
    hace 7 años

Originally the most popular item to put above the fireplace was a mirror, typically a wooden gilt frame and fairly tall to compliment the high ceilings of Georgian and Victorian homes.

Judging by the what our customers opt for I would say the mirror is still a popular choice, although perhaps not so ostentatious now. Take this simple mirror in the picture below further enhancing the symmetry of the arranged ornaments.

Victorian marble fire surround with arched cast iron grate · Más información

• PRO
    Sound & Vision (UK) LTD
    hace 7 años

A mirror screen TV can work really well in the right location.

• PRO
    Emily Jane Interiors
    hace 7 años

As an interior designer I feel a beautiful piece of art can really bring a room together, whilst expressing yourself with a unique piece.

• PRO
    The Fire Centre
    hace 7 años

Finish your feature fireplace off with a statement piece of art

• Stephen Edwards
    hace 7 años

Mine is a 1930s fire surround which has a built in oval overmantel mirror,

• PRO
    Dulwich Fires and Stoves
    hace 7 años

Everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector some where above there fireplace.

• PRO
    Glove Poppit
    hace 7 años

Mirrors are dangerous over fires as people stand too close and clothes can catch fire, just a note of warning. I would put art over the fireplace.

• lisa77226
    hace 7 años
    I think placing a tv over is uncomfortable for viewing. It always feels too high and makes my eyes tired. I've read also that it can get too hot for them. I change between a mirror and art above mine and there are always things on the mantle, rotated regularly depending on the season and my mood.
  • PRO
    J Rotherham
    hace 7 años

We love the way one of our customers complimented this classic style fireplace with a bold, stand-out piece of artwork. It really draws the eye as an attractive centerpiece to their living space.

• msclelluk
    hace 7 años
    Mirror & candles!
  • PRO
    Bio Fires
    hace 7 años

We love seeing a mirror or a painting above a fireplace. A mirror is such a simple and versatile way to reflect the room, making it feel more open and spacious, A luxurious mirror can become a stunning focal point. However a piece of art will create a focal point that draws more attention and can add a point of interest and colour. Ultimately depends on what you're trying to achieve. We love how our customer added a pop of colour to this white room, creating a subtle and contemporary harmony between the fireplace and the art above it.

Edinburgh Apartment · Más información

• PRO
    Andersons of Inverurie Interiors
    hace 7 años

it makes the room look larger

• PRO
    Trade at Houseology
    hace 7 años

Kartell Ming Reed Diffusers of course! The add elegance, colour and aromas!

• Marta TL
    hace 7 años

I am lucky enough to live in a flatshare that has a fireplace, even if it doesn't work! I just love the way it brings the room together and encourages snuggling up on the sofas with a nice cup of hot tea and a good book to read! There is something very homely about a fireplace and although our one is bare of any mantlepiece decorations, one of my favorite artworks claimed its spot above it almost as soon as I stepped foot in the house! The color of the marble and the undertones in the paintings couldn't have worked any better if I wanted them to and I feel like the dimensions are pretty well balanced! My flatmates certainly didn't oppose!

• PRO
    Decori
    hace 7 años

Here you go, something different!

• PRO
    Glitter Pelmets Glasgow
    hace 7 años

A DESIGNER MIRROR TO GIVE THE FEELING OF MORE SPACE

• PRO
    Stan Bolt Architect
    hace 7 años

nothing above fireplace

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.