Houzz Logo Print
erica004000

Granite/quartzite dilema need help

erica004000
hace 8 años

Hi,

I desperately need some advice. I am wanting to install granite in my kitchen. The penninsula is 90 inches by 47 inches deep. The sink is a larger sink and is an undermount. Anyway,the granite company is telling me I have to have a seam down the middle where the sink is and I know that is going to bother me. Has anyone here ever run into this issue?Is there anyway around it? Do they make slabs big enough to cover my are? Thanks

The type of granite we are looking at is shadow storm I think it may be a quartzite though even through they say it is granite.

Comentarios (10)

• arvilla_trag
    hace 8 años
    you will have a seam somewhere, as slab size is limited by weight. However, you can have the contractor cut the slab so the seam is not in the middle of the sink. Might end up costing a little more, but a seam in the middle of the sink would bug me, too.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 8 años

Min Granite slab is 105" x 54", so it can be made from one slab. The only concern most companies have is the weight. If your island is 90 x 47, your slab will be 92x49 with 1" overhang and @18LB per SF you will have a 564 LB slab, so some companies don't want to take a chance with carrying that slab or don't have people to carry such slabs...but some will do it.

Good luck

• printesa
    hace 8 años

I don't know why you would need that,,,granite slabs come in large sizes that match what you have..The size of your peninsula is not larger than the average size of a slab

• User
    hace 8 años

What is the route into the home for such a large piece? It doesn't work if there is a twisty staircase to be navigated.

• Carol Johnson
    hace 8 años
    Go to their showroom and see an example of their seem in the middle of the sink. If you are okay with this look, I would trust the professional. If they are a budget place & don't have a showroom with examples, I'd find a pro who can do the job properly.
  • acm
    hace 8 años

Seams are usually in the middle of the sink so that more of it is cut out -- otherwise you risk having an obvious disconnect in the pattern at the seam. Most large pieces have to have a seam, but obviously from the notes above, it can be done.

• PRO
    Nicely Done Kitchens
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

It is important to keep the pattern of the stone in mind when considering sizes and seams. With the dimensions, you should have plenty of room to cover the peninsula, but you want the direction of the pattern to flow NEARLY seamlessly across the seam. Seams are often necessary for a few reasons: matching the right flow of pattern across a countertop space, and installation. Granite or quartzite is very heavy - it wouldn't be possible to carry, say, a gigantic solid U-shaped countertop through your doorways and into your home.

We do not ever put seams at the sink cut-out - we actually do the opposite and reinforce the granite at the sink, since it's a much thinner cut of stone there. If the stone isn't properly installed and the seam is at the sink, that's where it would shift over time and you'll get an uneven surface at the intersection point.

• susanalanandwrigley
    hace 8 años
    We have a peninsula with sink on the peninsula. Seam is on non sink wall. In other words peninsula is all one piece and perpendicular piece is all one piece so seam is where the two meet. With a peninsula (not an island) you will clearly need a seam. Location of ours is perfect because it's not in a prominent area. I don't think our fabricator was a fan of sink seams, then again we had lots of problems with him so not sure I'd trust his opinion.
  • PRO
    Super White Countertops
    hace 8 años

Hello .. We are a direct importer of super white quartzite and shadow storm ,, You do not need to have a seam ,,,We have slabs at 129 x 78 , 130 x 77 , The problem is that most local supplier don't buy there own blocks from the quarries and just buy what is available on the market ,, We only buy raw blocks 120+ minimum , seams will always show no matter what ,, Here are a few pics of are 127 inch slabs

Naperville job · Más información

park ridge job · Más información

3 cm SUPER WHITE QUARTZITE · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.