Houzz Logo Print
margsmansour

Ideas for backyard

margsmansour
hace 8 años
Any suggestions for what we should do with the backyard space. Currently it's a blank canvas, just lawn. We are thinking of putting some bifold doors at the back of the house to open it up a bit more. The two current doors at the back of the house open into one large open plan space that includes the kitchen, dining and a lounge area.

Comentarios (7)

• macyjean
    hace 8 años

What are you trying to achieve? What do you want to use the garden for, do you want to reduce the lawn to reduce maintenance or to beautify the view, etc, etc? About bifold doors, much as I like the look of them, for practical reasons I prefer standard doors with flyscreens. Of course different people have different priorities and there are other possible solutions for insects. Practical details like that are worth thinking about though.

• margsmansour
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Good point re the bi-folds! Nothing worse than a house full of flies.

We definitely want to plant something as a privacy screen at the back. Hoping for something that might give some shade too.

We want to keep a lot of the lawn for the kids to play on, but want to make it a little less bland. It's just house and fence and lawn at the moment.
  • PRO
    Endless Landscapes
    hace 8 años

Wow, what a great space to work with. You have alot of options but i agree with your first thought of opening your internal spaces out to the back with bifold to extend your covered living area outdoors. I would start considering your preferred style first and build up a budget based around what you would like to do and start with your researching via houzz. You may like to extending the tiled area outwards to increase your entertaining hardspace or include a plantings around the edges and maybe gardens off the back of the entertaining area.. If you are working on a developing budget id suggest getting starting with the screening plants now as mentioned above to give them a chance to grow, species you may like could be Syzigium resilience or Ficus "Flash" for a formal look along the back remember advanced species cost $$$ so the sooner you get them in and give them TLC the better.

• syn210
    hace 8 años
    shade tree would be excellent, have no idea where you are but if you are after good size trees downes nursery in Sydney have an extensive range, and delivery is quite wide and affordable.
    link is ... http://www.downesnursery.com.au
  • dohraime
    hace 8 años

Any lawn you rip up, send to meeee!

Ditto Endless Landscapes^, what style gardens do you like?

• macyjean
    hace 8 años

My purpose wasn't to dissuade you from having bifolds if it's something you LOVE the idea of but it's a good idea to think through things like what to do about flies and how will it look given there is a step down to the patio so you're going to have a threshold rather than seamless flow anyway.

What is your climate? Which way does the back of the house face? It's useful to know the climate to know what will grow well for you and to know the orientation to understand where you get afternoon sun that you might want protection from in summer and where you get winter sun which you might not want to block?

There are other questions to work through. Like people have asked, what's your style? Formal or informal? Native? Low-maintenance? Resort? Seasonal interest? Do you want to keep the maximum amount of lawn and plant only sufficient for privacy and shade or is the amount of lawn flexible? Do you like straight lines or curved garden beds? Do you want to extend the patio? Put in some paths between the patio and the back door and the clothes line and down the side? Make a space for a barbecue? Tuck in a garden shed somewhere? Storage for bikes and sports gear?

I don't want to say too much until I know what's important to you. But for starters I'd plant a hedge along the back fence, I'd paint the pergola to make it look lighter and airier, I'd put in some paths and garden beds around the back door and clothesline and hws, and I'd plant a tree but I don't know enough about the block to suggest what sort and where to get the best benefit from it. That's what comes to my mind so far.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.