Houzz Logo Print
sophia_granata

butchers block

Sophia Granata
hace 8 años
How does the butchers block near the sink hold up to water?
Olivenhain Cottage · Más información

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    DZN Partners
    hace 8 años

It holds up well as a multi-coat clear finish has been applied over the wood. As with any counter surface leaving standing liquids on the surface is not recommended. I have the same counter tops in my office kitchen and bath and they perform well.

• jlweinberger
    hace 8 años

Actually, that is incorrect. There is no "multi-coat finish". I am the homeowner. These are hickory countertops that we oil regularly with a mix of mineral oil and paraffin. The oil soaks into the wood and protects it from liquids. When we first installed the counters they required oiling weekly. Now, 3 years after we put them in, we oil the counters every few months or so.

The counters are holding up well, even in the sink area which gets a lot of water. Do not clear-coat or otherwise paint/varnish kitchen countertops. When something bad inevitably happens (it's a kitchen) such coatings make it very difficult to fix. However, if it is just oiled wood, then you can sand out the stain/scratch/burn/whatever and then re-oil it. Also, after 10-20 years of abuse the counters can just be taken to the local cabinet shop, have the top 1/16" removed and the counters will be like new again.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.