Houzz Logo Print
angela_popovich

Help me fix my dining room mistake

Angela Popovich
hace 8 años

I bought the chairs on a used furniture site before I got the table thinking that I would just stain them (as you can see from the blue painters tape on one of them) only to find that they don't stain well at all. All the white accent paint turns into dark blotches. I'd like to make it seem like the chairs are mismatched on purpose, and I need help picking decor and the remaining pieces to make that happen (still need 2 more chairs, and the side console, as well as all the decor). Any suggestions?

Comentarios (17)

• acm
    hace 8 años

Could you paint them a dark brown or black instead? Otherwise, you'll need to reimagine this room a bit...

• anniebird
    hace 8 años
    Well, to begin with, I don't think there's anything here that looks like a disaster - what a pretty room! Is there an inspiration photo you can share? I'd like to see what you envision for the space before sharing more ideas.
  • User
    hace 8 años

IF it were me, I would remove the failed attempt chair and keep the other 3. Then get 3 more chairs that are different but complement these. I would put my first priority on changing the light fixture to something with some of your personality in the room.

Angela Popovich agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Wendy Glaister Interiors
    hace 8 años
    Hi Angela and Happy New Year!
    Here's my prescription: find a beautiful area rug to ground the space. Select a color from the rug and find a pretty fabric to use on 2 captain's chairs to add at each end... Be sure the fabric you select has that nice linen color present in the existing chairs to move the color through the space. Find artwork, mirrors and candle lit wall sconces to add texture and visual interest to the room. Hang a light fixture for ambience... Use a dimmer for more light control. Invest in some great candlesticks that are a bit rustic (3) and add life with potted live orchids or ferns.
    Then pour a glass of wine with friends and enjoy your very pretty dining room. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Wendy Glaister Interiors
    hace 8 años
    P.S. Add floor to ceiling drapery for warmth. ☺️
  • Susie .
    hace 8 años
    I can't see your failed attempt color, but you may be able to sand it off.

Don't try stain over a finish you're unsure of. If you want to change the color, you will need to sand and use a shellac between the existing coat and the new coat to ensure a good bond. An enamel paint would be a better choice than stain over an existing finish. I kind of like the color of them, though.

I agree that it's not a disaster. I'm not sure about captains chairs at the ends, because it doesn't appear there is enough leg room with the pedestals so close to the ends of the table.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    hace 8 años
    Could you paint the wood on the chairs white to match all your beautiful trim work?
  • Angela Popovich
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Fortunately I didn't ruin the chair because I tried it at the bottom only. Here's what it looks like. The dark spots are areas that had white paint over the wood, which is pretty much all over the chairs.

I didn't think of painting them, but it would probably be much easier to match white. But then, wouldn't the fabric have to be darker as well?

• Kicksychick
    hace 8 años
    Beautiful room with great potential! No need to paint or stain the chairs. I suggest keeping the colours soft and muted, such as gray, blue, and cream. Replace the chandelier with something sparkly. Add an area rug, cabinet and artwork for the far wall, and drapery panels on the window.
  • Kicksychick
    hace 8 años
    Dining Room Decor · Más información
  • Kicksychick
    hace 8 años
    Kenwood Parkway · Más información
  • Angela Popovich
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Kicksychick those are so beautiful!

• zzmom40
    hace 8 años
    I would just whitewash the chairs they will look beautiful..
  • zzmom40
    hace 8 años
    Have no idea what your budget is....but these upholstered dinning room host chairs are gorgeous!!!
  • kitchensky
    hace 8 años

You could try chalk paint and see if it adheres. I would probably just buy 2 or 3 mismatched chairs that would compliment the ones you have. The table and chairs are both amazing.

Angela Popovich agradeció a kitchensky
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.