Houzz Logo Print
kelly080

Art and rug advice

kelly080
hace 8 años
Hi all!
I am having a terrible time trying to find wall hangings and rugs that will blend well with my home. My curtains and pillows are a pale seafoam/aqua and I cannot find anything that matches. I don't want to paint the walls until I find a rug.. Not sure if I want to paint tan or gray. Next to my tv is a christmas tree and other decorations that aren't normally there so those walls look very bare once all the christmas decor comes down. If anyone has any recommendations or constructive criticism I would greatly appreciate it ... I'm at a loss

Comentarios (20)

• kelly080
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Few more
  • kelly080
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    L
  • kelly080
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    L
  • shirlpp
    hace 8 años

Your seating arrangement does not seem right. Your sectional seems so far from the TV, or is it the picture. You'd want to create a seating arrangement around your focal point(TV).

• kelly080
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    You are correct, my seating arrangement is very far away from the tv... Any ideas on how to correct this issue?
  • Lisa Williams
    hace 8 años

Here are a few I've seen available in Houzz Marketplace...

Kas Allure 4062 Blue Green Artisan Rug, 5 Ft X 7 Ft · Más información

Surya Lighthouse LTH-7030 Rug 5'x8' Pacific Blue, Malachite Green Rug · Más información

Surya Plush Noble Green-Blue 5'x8' Rectangle Area Rug · Más información

Sphinx Kaleidoscope Grey and Blue and Green Rug - 504D5, 5' 3"x7' 6" · Más información

• PRO
    The Carpet Guys
    hace 8 años

Typically, painting the walls should come first to make matching a little easier, but for colors that can match a seafoam/aqua, you could try a soft yellow or harmonize it with neutral colors. You can also add some pink in the mix too.

Metallic furnishings will also be a great accent for this specific color as well.

Hope this helps out!

• emmarene9
    hace 8 años

If that is the only place the television can be then the sofa should be moved much closer to it. I would forget the rug until you have the furniture better arranged.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años

Lisa, you are right. It is much easier to match paint to your rug as a rug is a much larger purchase than a can of paint. Find a rug you love then move on from there.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I'd consider a darker color, more taupe than just a gray, for the walls. I think it will make the sofa color richer. Try BM revolutionary storm.

Your rug choice:

Sphinx Kaleidoscope Grey and Blue and Green Rug - 504D5, 5' 3"x7' 6" · Más información
    Or possibly this rug instead? Has some of your blues.

Jaipur Fables Tria Beige FB61 9'x12' Area Rug · Más información

• PRO
    Floorplan Rugs
    hace 8 años

Yep, totally agree @LisaWilliams. Finding a rug you like — color, size, texture and personality — can be a challenge. Starting with a piece you love will make it easier later on AND can provide a cohesive starting point for inspiration.

If you want to use the rugs to create cohesion among colors/textures, I recommend using more than one in the space — that way you create a consistent look without being too matchy matchy. Given the size of your space, I think you can go pretty big with the rug, at least an 8x10 in the sofa area, and a smaller piece under or next to the dining area.

Another thing to keep in mind when looking to a hang a rug (which is amazing for a headboard effect or to add warmth/sound proofing in a room), you want to pick one that's not too heavy. Kilims or dhurries, which are flatweave rugs, are your best bets for hanging more easily without damaging the rug or the wall.

Hope this helps!

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Kelly, paint comes last. Your instincts were correct in choosing the rug first. But before you choose a rug, you have to get your seating arrangement right because that will determine the size you need.

Looking at the third photo in your original post, I would say pull the sofa out of the corner so that the chaise leg of the sofa is centered on its wall, and the long leg of the sofa is centered between the windows. I'd also try the chair on the end of the sofa if there's room, either facing the chaise or angled toward the TV.

It's really hard to tell on a monitor, but also in that third photo and the fourth, the walls seem to have a pink undertone that's fighting fiercely with the curtains. Not to worry about it now, but something to keep in mind when you choose your paint.

I like this coastal vibe you've started here. You've made some nice choices so far.

How about moving the seating and giving us another photo?

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Move the sofa to about here. Depending on how much space is left behind it, we might do a sofa table, or just big art.

Here are three rugs, one about the color of the curtains, one a deep teal-y green, and a brown zebra:

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

With some big art:

I forgot to add that I painted the walls. Kind of an ivory, I think.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

I agree with grover on moving the sofa more into the room. I like the 2nd rug suggestion also made by grover but I think the paintings should be hung somewhat higher. Paint is last. Rug is first, but after the furnishings are arranged the best way.

Sanddollars By The Sea Area Rug, Rectangle, Blue, 3'x5' · Más información

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

This of course would need to be larger.

• Shelley Blue
    hace 8 años
    first thing I thought was walls should be lighter but watch all the undertones - sofa, drapes and rugs. don't have yellow for one, pink for another etc. especially when using beiges, creams and whites.
  • kelly080
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you everyone for the advice, you have no idea how much I appreciate it! I am usually such a matchy matchy person (I hate that about myself) but after seeing additional colors and tones incorporated I really like it. I went ahead and pulled the couch out as suggested, what should I do behind the couch?
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Sofa table, couple of antique silver lamps and a silver bowl, art. Don't forget the art. And the Eileen Gray C-table for the chaise.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.