Houzz Logo Print
jodiebartist

Sink Position

Jodie Bennett
hace 8 años
What is your opinion on kitchen sink position. On the side/back wall of the kitchen or in the middle of the breakfast bar? I think I'm going with the middle of the room sink as in the photo. My dilemma is the extra work this may create by having to tidy all the time because the mess is right there in your face. What do you think?

Comentarios (15)

• Kym McCormick
    hace 8 años
    Please be aware that the mess will be there with or without a sink! If you have the room and budget, go for two types of sinks - one on the island for assisting with cooking prep ( e.g. washing vegetables) and another that is out of the way for washing up. My kitchen is similar to this. If I could redo it I would have all my prep equipment in the island cupboards (food mixer, kettle, toaster) with access to power points.
    Jodie Bennett agradeció a Kym McCormick
  • PRO
    New Leaf Design Studios
    hace 8 años

If your kitchen has the same layout as the one in the picture, then the best position for the sink would be the island bench. If your kitchen had a window in the room, then the sink would be better placed under the window. It all depends on the layout.

Jodie Bennett agradeció a New Leaf Design Studios
  • Sian Sampey
    hace 8 años

If you go for a sink that has a removable drainer as a lid then you can extend the bench space when its not in use & also hide stuff in the sink!

Jodie Bennett agradeció a Sian Sampey
  • Pazz
    hace 8 años

Jodie, if you do end up going with the sink in the middle of the island, just a note that the island will most likely have to be at least 1100-1200mm wide as opposed to the standard 900mm (as shown in your photo) coz if you're planning to have meals at the island (opposite the sink) a 30cm overhang will barely fit a plate and may not be the most convenient/comfortable eating spot.

Jodie Bennett agradeció a Pazz
  • Jodie Bennett
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the advise. Certainly food for thought.

• tarotlova
    hace 8 años
    If you go for a undercount sink you will have extra room too, no drainer taking up space. I did this in our new build and the bench has heaps more space.
  • suzineedsahouse
    hace 8 años

Well that's a little disappointing. The title offered something new....

• LouieT
    hace 8 años

A sink on the island is always messy looking in my experience & agree with if you have a window then that is the place for it. Also the associated storage of dishcloth, brush, drainer, soap while able to be hidden in the cupboard are often left out depending on your use or tidying habits.

At best if you choose this option I would have a raised section to hide the sink which of course may limit it's use as a dine in island. The length & width also will be critical to the appearance and function of the end result.

• mykky48
    hace 8 años

My island bench is 3.4x1.2m my single sink at one end with two single dish drawers under! Prep dishes go straight in a dishwasher after use, dishcloth into the washing machine every night. We don't have a breakfast bar as the dining area is right behind the island which serves as a buffet when we have guests. I must admit that I've never used the sink to wash dishes since the 80's!!!

• PRO
    Scavolini Kitchen, Living and Bathroom
    hace 8 años

As an advise, I would prefer the sink on the back, on social occasions the sink is a noisy and often dirty place that you wouldn't want your guest hanging around. I would rather put the cooktop in the island as it can be a pleasant social experience to cook with friends and chat.

• oklouise
    hace 8 años

my new kitchen has the island as a servery (great for self serve buffet meals, somewhere to put all the bags of groceries, spread out when cleaning out cabinets and drawers, eat impromptu meals, do homework etc and the sink is placed below the window with the stove in the counter opposite the island with space at either side for all the plug in appliances. I use the end of the sink, near the stove, as a peel, chop prep area and the other end of the sink has the tea/coffee making area and the island is mostly clear of clutter

• hazsco Scott
    hace 8 años
    That's just it.... A sink in the island may just make you rinse dishes and put in the dishwasher ready for the next wash. Also a block on the sink when not in use also serves as a chopping board.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 8 años

Not on the island.

• jmm1837
    hace 8 años

My sink is in the island, with enough room on either side of it for prep. It may not be the neatest position, though we do try to load the dishwasher as we go along (and, in times of high crisis, as when we have guests over, the worst mess gets transported to the sink in the butler's pantry and the door resolutely closed on it). The thing is, I can do prep while looking into the lounge to watch TV, chat to guests, or even to my better half. We tend not to use the bench as a breakfast bar, but there's plenty of room for a couple of people to sit at it nursing their drinks and chatting with host or hostess, should they be of a mind to do so. It's probably not the height of elegance or decor, but it works for us....Might be different if the kitchen had a window, but since it doesn't, I'd rather look at better half than at the wall.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.