Houzz Logo Print
kjacobsc21

Front step/porch dilemma - need opinions

kjacobsc21
hace 8 años

We just had our front steps and walkway redone. Our old masonry steps had three steps all of equal height and a concrete walkway. The new steps were put in first and all were of equal height but then when they put the new walkway in they raised the height of the walkway so that they covered the bottom brick row of the first step and the bottom step is now a 4 inch rise while the top 2 steps are 8 inch rise. This was not discussed with us or brought to our attention before it was done. I feel it is a trip hazard. The Mason says they had to do it this way or else due to grading of our property the walkway would sit too low and we would have an issue of water pooling.

Right now he says our 2 options are to leave it as is or they can have mason come back and remove the limestone from steps, add a row of brick to each step so they are all 8 inch rise and raise the landing up. The landing right now is 5 inches below the front door so raising up 4 inches would take it to about an inch below. I'm really not satisfied with either option and hesitant to have them mess with the existing steps.

I don't even know what to do at this point and don't have anywhere to really turn for advice. We are up against not having much time to make a decision too if the weather gets cooler in the northeast. Any input is appreciated - photo attached for reference. Has Anyone heard of adding onto existing steps to build them up after they've already been put in?

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    Burkholder Brothers
    hace 8 años

I do not like to throw anyone under the bus, however, this is something the designer should have had figured out and ran options by you. The easiest solution, in my opinion, is to eliminate the bottom step and extend the walkway, leaving 2 8" risers. in order to do the "ramping" of the walk, the walk will need to be lifted and gradually raised to the step. Obviously, the grading on the sides of the walk will need to be raised slightly also. The bright side? Raising the walkway and beds can only help with drainage!

• weedyacres
    hace 8 años

Yeah, someone installed the steps without calculating the height of the path. Their screw-up.

The steps need to be modified to meet code and not be a safety hazard. I'd approach it differently than the mason is suggesting. Take the 20" total rise, divide it by 3, and raise the bottom step by 2 1/3" (4+ 2 1/3=6 1/3" rise) and the middle step by 1 2/3" (8" - 1 2/3" = 6 1/3" rise). Then all 3 steps will be 6 1/3" rise.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    hace 8 años

What Burkholder said

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.