Houzz Logo Print
jcastellino

Acceptable Tile Job?

jcastellino
hace 8 años

I had subway tile installed in my shower and around the bath and I'm not sure if it's right. To me, there's inconsistent grout lines and tiles that aren't quite level - leading to an overall look that isn't very sharp. Am I being nitpicky? Is this an acceptable tile job?

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 8 años

That's a nice job. Framed up nicely. Because the bullnose pieces are a snick different in size, the installer has "squidged" the grout lines a teeny tiny bit on the last tile of the row. S/he has done a beautiful job of it.

Up close (nose to the wall) this is noticeable. A few feet back (the full wall shot) and the squidge disappears. Bad tile jobs normally look worse at a distance because EVERYTHING is out of whack...and you can sense the tiles going out of whack. Once a grout line gets wobbly, it normally translates through the entire wall and across the row. This person's work has the fudged grout lines disappear within 1 tile width. That's impressive and skilfully done.

I think they have earned their full pay cheque...and some referrals. With all the Houzzers screaming about their bad tile jobs, I think you can safely say yours is not one of them.

• januarisun
    hace 8 años

Remember, this is done by hand, not by machine. When it comes to ceramic tiles and grout, there's no such thing as a flawless tile job, maybe excellent, but not flawless.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

Nice work the only thing I would change is I would have liked to see the tiles on the tub deck line up with the tiles on the wall below but it might have not been possible.

• beseaside
    hace 8 años

Beautiful tile work. I think that your grout is a great color choice, but because it is slightly darker it draws your eye to it visually. I wish all tile installers paid so much attention to the details.

• PRO
    Clearstory Imaging
    hace 8 años

Very acceptable. You have to take it as a whole, especially with ceramic. The slight irregularities are actually the craftsman reducing the visibility of larger irregularities due to the tiles being slightly out of square. He / She is "whipping" it back into alignment and fighting to keep it true. It's always a matter of splitting the slight differences to keep things working as a whole. Viewing it at six inches is almost always going to set off one's OCD. Rest easy in knowing that 9 out of 10 people would have done it slightly worse.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.