Houzz Logo Print
fluffykoala

First time renter — help!

fluffykoala
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

I don't even know where to start! I'm going to be moving out early next year and need to work out some sort of budget allocation for everything I'm going to buy.

My partner and I are going to be sharing a two bedroom with one of my friends, and none of us have any major pieces of furniture or appliances (besides our own beds & childhood tallboys).

The main investments are going to be the lounge and probably dining table which my partner and I will split, with our other housemate getting the appliances (microwave, toaster, kettle etc). We figure it's easier splitting it between us as a couple as opposed to three ways if someone was to move out.

H&D House - One Small Room Design · Más información

Any words of wisdom or advice on how to begin the whole 'first move' process, things I may forget to think of, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Comentarios (11)

• jmm1837
    hace 8 años

Well, remembering back to the distant past when I first moved out of my parents' house, I needed just about everything. Start with the necessities: do you have dishes, glasses, pots and pans, knives and forks, bedding, and towels? You won't get far without them. Of course, if you don't, you can probably beg a few of your family and hit a few op shops for an inexpensive supply. Then think essential furniture - you have beds and some sort of dresser, so that's good, but you'll need a table and chairs and a lounge as a minimum. Then, coffee tables, end tables and bookcases can become pretty important. And something to put the TV on. What about curtains or blinds - will they be supplied?

I think those were all pretty up on my priority list: as I settled in and got the hang of paying for myself, I added things like lamps, a desk, wall art, rugs, cushions and so forth, but you really need to have the basics sorted first. Things to cook with, eat with, wash with, sit on and lie on.

• LouieT
    hace 8 años

Quality bed, quality couch if you can, fall in love with sales & 2nd hand everything else & budget for the best you can afford. Ikea is a great place for affordable cutlery, crockery, furnishing, decor & most things required to start out.

Ask around friends & family for cast offs to start with, you might be surprised at what is available in the dark recesses of their cupboards waiting for a new home.

Might need to like retro though in some cases & be prepared to refurbish to your taste, good luck!

• sally wastie
    hace 8 años

Hi check out gumtree for funiture theres some really great stuff look for people down sizing i sold all our furniture and they were bargains and great condition people just need it gone plus op shops you can fit a house out at very low cost if you shop around good luck let us know how you get on sally.

• chubbychicky
    hace 8 años
    IKEA!!!!! If you are needing everything (glasses, mugs, crockery, cutlery, tea towels etc), Ikea's prices are great and there's nothing wrong with their quality either. Good luck and have fun :)
  • dilines
    hace 8 años
    Look at joining buy swap sell sites or garage sale sites on FB, we did when our eldest daughter moved out and they stuff she managed to get was amazing! Set of Freedom couches $250 ( perfect condition) also a glass top dining table $50. Domayne coffee table and lamp table$ $ 150. Well worth looking into
  • Leie Wallace
    hace 8 años

I would second the K-mart suggestion, they are extremely cheap and although it's not great quality it will last longer than you'd think. Ikea is not too bad either. I would also try local garage sales as sometimes you can get great quality items for very little. Especially if you have time to pick and choose and somewhere to store items. When I first moved out the only new thing I bought was a frying pan. If your family are anything like mine they have two or three of everything you need to get going and then you can gradually add things as you go. I mostly used garage sales and was a bit lucky.

• kooky_karen
    hace 8 años

If you are happy with second hand things, then the suggestions above are great. However, if you want new, then - Fantastic Furniture or Super Amart for your furniture - Ikea can be expensive. For electrical equipment I wouldn''t go past the Good Guys - they will give you a great discount for large purchases. As suggested - K-Mart or Big W for crockery, saucepans, etc.

• suancol
    hace 8 años

check out freebies on gumtree amazing things people need to clear out quickly

• herladyship92
    hace 8 años
    Lots of great advice here, also I discovered a website recently called "Freecycle" where you can either give away stuff you don't want ( people will take the most amazing things!) or put an ad in if you are looking for something. Have a look at the postings in your area for great free stuff! My uni son got a desk like that for free!!! Absolutely ask people you know if they want to give away stuff...everyone has too much stuff these days I find! Re-use and re-cycle will save yygeaps of cash! Good luck!!
  • herladyship92
    hace 8 años
    *save you heaps*
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.