Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

If you DIY'd your kitchen...

pippiep
hace 8 años

If you remodeled your kitchen mostly yourself, what parts did you hire out? I'm getting VERY nervous that we won't be able to redo our kitchen for 40K. We've had one company come by and basically told us that kitchens our size in this town are typically 75K at minimum, and that is without moving walls or appliances.

My husband is capable of installing hardwood floors, building cabinets, wiring up outlets and lights, minor plumbing, and putting up walls. But, he doesn't have the time to do all that. (We finished our basement to about 80% complete over two years, including splitting it into three rooms... then hired out the rest to have it done quickly).

If we were to do parts of the kitchen ourselves, we'd need a contractor instead of a design firm, right? Then we'd have the flexibility to pick and choose what we do and what we hire out?

Comentarios (29)

• dcward89
    hace 8 años

We did everything except electrical and countertops. That included demolishing 2 walls and everything else down to the studs, new floors, windows, closing up an outside door, plumbing, cabinets were from Barker but we assembled and installed them, crown, all trim work...just basically everything. I could tell you that it cost us $35,000 to do our kitchen but without a frame of reference (where you live, how big your kitchen is, finishes, etc.) it's kind of hard to compare. It took us about 9 months.

• pippiep
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks! Was your kitchen out of commission that whole time? That's what concerns us the most.

We live in a HCOL area where it's not unusual to have a 200K kitchen remodel.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

symmetrical focal point

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi, Provenca The current trend is to install all the high kitchen cabinets on one side, without respecting mirror symmetry. I hope I've helped to answer your question. Visit us at Facebook :-) Gabriela Rojman | puzzle arquitectura
    ...Ver más

What to consider to choose the size and power of my range hood?

Q

(0) comentarios
    There are at least 3 things you need to consider when you are deciding the size and power your range hood needs: - The volume of your kitchen: how wide is it? - Kind of cooktop: is it electric or does it works with gas? is it professional? - The position of your kitchen hood: how close is it to the cooktop? Do you have any other tips for choosing the size and power for your range hood?
    ...Ver más

Which colors are better for a kitchen?

Q

(5) comentarios
    Each kitchen needs one special color, it´s depends of the natural ilumination it has. Same examples of kitchen we design:
    ...Ver más

What is CFM?

Q

(11) comentarios
    Muchas gracias por contestarme a las dos, si me decanto por el agua marina mejor ké el gris, no, no voy a poner nada en esa pared, porque, es ké no Le puedo hacer una foto a la habitación entera, porque la cocina está metida, dentro del salón y con el sofá pues nos pasamos un pokitin de grande y se come el salón y los muebles de la cocina son enteros hasta el techo, para ké me crupier an más cosas y el mueble de TV me lo están haciendo a medida y lo ké puedo lo pongo hasta el techo, porque el espacio no me sobra, así ké dejando esa pared sin nada, es como ké kita la pesadez...
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    Robertson Kitchens
    hace 8 años

When your remodeling your kitchen sometimes you can still use a design firm even if you want to do some of the project on your own.

I can offer a few tips when you are doing a project yourself. Be prepared for the project to take longer as you don't have complete control of your contractors. What I mean by this is when you hire a GC they will do all the work of sub parts out depending on what it is, ex drywall, plumbing etc. If you are doing these things yourself and get off a day or two it can hold up the next step. If you are working with a good designer he/she may assist you in a schedule and help you find the best way to schedule the things that need done. It all comes down to proper planning and making sure ALL the material are ordered and delivered on time. Don't be afraid to tackle this project on your own. If you like I can review with you what your looking at and what steps need to happen for it all to come together smoothly. If you were to hire a GC an average project depending on many things should only take 4-8 weeks when proper planning is in place. Usually the kitchen is out of commission while you remodel for a good portion unless you are setting up a temp sink but if new floors, walls, ceiling and other things have to happen a temp sink is not a good idea. Good luck with your project and doing things yourself is not a bad idea if you know what your doing and have proper experience in the process.

• bob_cville
    hace 8 años

Mine was similar to dcward89. I redid the entire kitchen including moving an interior wall, adding another interior wall, adding a window, re-configuring the existing windows, changing a sliding glass to a single swinging door. I did all the electrical, the plumbing, the tile floor, the cabinet assembly and install (from Scherr's), and appliance install.

It took about 8 months overall, but the kitchen was semi-usable the entire time. The new fridge and the old pantry cabinet were in the dining room. We had a plastic laundry sink that could be connected or disconnected in about 5 minutes, and the stove was on an appliance dolly so it could be set up and used quickly as well. Even when the stove was not usable we had a microwave and a grill out on the deck.

I think the total cost was somewhere in the range of $30K, as compared to the estimate from a local contractor which was $96K not including appliances.

• Texas_Gem
    hace 8 años

We did everything but pour the concrete slab, build the cabinets and the granite countertops.

Ours was a new addition on the house so we had the original kitchen to use the entire time, which was a good thing since it took 6 months from when we started framing until I could use the new kitchen. It wasn't done, still needed flooring and trim/finish work but it was completely useable and we were able to move to the second phase where we ripped out the old kitchen and started renovating that space.

Total cost was about 35K for everything.

• practigal
    hace 8 años

I am all for DIY but before you start you need to cast a cold calculating eye on the scope of your project.

You can get excellent design ideas from people on the site but at the end of the day you have to do all the measuring to make sure it comes out perfect.

Start by looking at one of the handy-dandy codebooks that they usually have at your local building supply.

Will you need a new electric panel to accommodate your electric needs? Do you have outlets every 3 to 4 feet along the top of the kitchen counter area? If not, you will need to have those installed and you will also have to have separate dedicated outlets for each of the appliances. You will likely need to hire an electrician. If you are adding a 240 line I would hire an electrician because I would never forgive myself if my significant other was tired and inattentive and ended up dead or missing a portion of his person.

Will you be moving the vent pipe that vents the sewer gas off your kitchen sink? Will you be moving the plumbing or sewer lines? If so you will likely want to hire a plumber.

Given the constraints on your husbands time are you willing to consider ready to assemble cabinets like Ikea, Barker or Scherrs? In order to install and line up a lot of cabinets you really need two strong people AND it just takes time and extremely careful measurement. Your husband may not want to spend an entire week off on the installation. In which case you would want to find someone to handle the installation.

Strangely the hardest thing I had to find was someone who could patch wall. I had an odd pony wall and when it was removed it left an odd size opening. It took six weeks before I could find someone who knew how to patch that area. It was a painter with the GC license who didn't want to do GC type work but hired people who could get anything done so he could do the painting, the part that he liked to do....

It is relatively easy to install a hardwood floor once you have a good subfloor. Do you know what you have down there now?

Do you have issues with asbestos or lead paint? Since you have done some remodeling before you know that the dirt will get absolutely everywhere, you don't need toxic dirt anywhere.

if you are (re)moving a load bearing wall, I would recommend getting an engineer involved to ensure that the final new framing is strong enough.

Personally, I would absolutely pay someone to come and demo all of the existing area and haul all of the debris and leave it in "broom clean" condition.

The pricing in your area gives me pause, one of the things I found in my area is that I would be paying $65 per square foot for countertop whether the countertop was granite, Corian, tile, or quartz. If you think about it you will realize that does not make much sense but that was the reality. Note that advertised prices varied from $19 per square foot to $119, but all quoted prices consistently came out to $65 per square foot. To keep the costs down, I personally would have installed a wood countertop, but DH absolutely refused.

If you elect to order anything from a big box store, order it well in advance. The big box stores aggregate their orders and then submit them to a distributor so you may be waiting quite a while before they feel that they have an order big enough to send to a distributor.

• silken1
    hace 8 años

It's been a while, but we moved an interior wall. We ordered Kitchencraft cabinets and had good design advise from the salesman at that time, it was part of the process of buying cabinets so it didn't cost for his advise. I did lots of research too. We hung and installed the cabinets ourselves because they are not that hard to do. DH moved some electrical and the plumbing. We did our own backsplash tiling and also tiled the floor since we were in the process of tiling most of our home anyways. We never had anyone in the house doing work except the counter top people. and we did the rest.

We are currently hiring a company to gut and re-do our main bath in Jan. We are still going to do the tiling of tub/shower and floor and any painting on paint ready walls. That project alone is likely going to cost us around $20,000 and all we are getting is one 45 inch cabinet, another 36 inch more shallow one with a small one on top-sort of like a pantry for towel storage. The cabinets are $4,000 which is part of the $20,000. So I agree, doing the entire kitchen for $40,000 likely will not be easy to achieve.

• dcward89
    hace 8 años

Pippiep...our kitchen was quasi-usable the whole time...meaning the fridge was in the LR but plugged in, we built a temp sink that could quickly be connected/unconnected as needed, we had a toaster oven and a single induction burner that we set up on a folding table in the DR, plus the grill. My DH and I rarely eat out, maybe 1 or 2 times per year so we were and I love to cook. We made it through the entire 9 months only getting take out twice. As long as we had a usable sink I was able to improvise everywhere else.

• Ichabod Crane
    hace 8 años

The only thing I didn't do was wire for the new range (switched from gas to electric), and the hardwood floor refinishing. About 15K for everything (including appliances).

• Kristen R
    hace 8 años

We hired out the plumbing, electrical and hardwood floor installation. I also ended up hiring someone to put in the hood vent after I realized there was no way I could get that beast in place without help. I did manage to get all the cabinets in place and installed by myself. The IKEA rail system made the uppers super easy to install. (Though putting in the 30" pantry cabinet and the 36" above-the-fridge cabinet by myself was probably not the wisest of decisions.)

We were without a kitchen for 11 weeks -- three weeks over my estimate due to some unforeseen structural issues that had to be fixed. Of course, that's 11 weeks to a working kitchen. I'll let you know when we have a finished kitchen. The trim is still sitting in the garage mocking me.

• funkycamper
    hace 8 años

When we remodeled our kitchen in our previous home, we did everything ourselves except the countertop. IIRC, it took about 8 weeks but we were only without a working kitchen of some sort for about two weeks, give or take a few days. It was summer and we just grilled outside, washed any dishes needed the Scouting way (3 bins: wash, rinse, sterilize) and used a lot of paper and plastic which bugged but I avoid doing that any other time so felt I had earned it. Cost of that remodel was about $8k. Prices were lower in 2004.

Our current DIY remodel is officially the world's slowest remodel. We removed wall between kitchen and dining room, moved fridge into a niche, have removed all upper cabinets and are re-purposing current lower cabinets plus others we have added from Habitat Re-Stores. At no point will I be without a usable kitchen. A big part of the remodel is to move the DW and add a clean-up sink with DW in new location. Someday, whenever, the new sink and DW will be installed prior to removing the current DW and moving the current sink just a foot or so and installing a new prep sink in that location. There have been a few hours here and there where my range has been pulled out in the middle of the room but nothing that has impacted making any meals. Almost everything has already been purchased, including appliances, and we have spent, to date about $5k. I expect about another $2k for materials not yet purchased but I'm budgeting another $4k in case there are some unexpected expenses. To be fair, it may go up a bit at the end if we decide to hire a relative who is an excellent finish carpenter to do the final trim pieces and a few other incidentals. DH and I both can do the work but we really hate the exactness the final finishing requires to look good. We're better at the big stuff and not the final details. All in all, I expect to have spent about $10k total when done, give or take a bit.

I think one of the reasons this is going so slowly, besides the fact that DH is super-busy with work, taking care of our rentals and his mom's home, and the fact that DH is 60 and doesn't have the energy to work later into the evening like he did when he was younger, is that our kitchen has been so functional throughout the process that there is really no sense of urgency except for aesthetic values.

If you want to tackle this yourself but don't want to end up without a kitchen to work in during the process, plan to set up a decent temporary kitchen somewhere in the house. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of the discussion but a few months back, there was a good thread here with tips about setting one up. You might do a search for it.

• designsaavy
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Our remodel has been a long process, but we are doing it without borrowing money, and that's ok with me. Not sure what all you are planning for your remodel, but here's what we did for ours. We did not remove any walls, and left the plumbing and stove where they are. We did convert from electric to gas, so I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was like $300 to $400 to have the gas line run to the new 30" NXR gas/convection range we bought for $1,799 at Costco. (BTW, LOVE IT!) DH demo'd the old cheap hardwood floor and carpeting and we bought quality Chelsea Plank hardwood flooring and hired out to install it in the kitchen, dining, living room, stairs to basement and hall and closets. Total for product and install was about $9,000. We, of course, had issues with our Barker Cabinets, but it saved us money going that route and we installed ourselves for $7,500 ( I know others experiences here were much better, but for me, I'd have gone a different route had I known the issues we would have. Oh well.) I hired a custom woodworker that I'm SO incredibly fortunate to have and he built our huge range hood for $600 and is in the process of making a taller crown molding for the cabinets and door panels with beadboard inset for the back of the island cabinet. Zephyr range hood insert was $1,200. That was a splurge for us. We went the cheaper route for the countertop perimeter and got Black Pearl Granite in a suede finish. I believe that was $2,300. Still have to do the island countertop which I'm still unsure what I want, but leaning toward having my woodworker make a wood countertop. Bought a Bosch 800 series with third rack a year ago for $850. My cabinet cup pulls and knobs were from Top Knobs and were around $300 for all. New Ruvati single bowl undermount sink with accessories was $450, and our Delta Trinsic faucet was, I believe, $230. Did not have undercabinet lighting put in, so I bought some plug in LED units that will be hid behind the light rail and DH is going to make it so the cord can be stored under cabinet until needed when plugged in (two 30" units were about $50). That is one regret and wish we could have budgeted for undercabinet lighting. I wanted a freestanding piece of furniture in the kitchen, so looked for months online and found a french country armoire that is cherry, but factory painted in flat black paint. The doors slide in out of the way and it has two deep drawers and a shelf which I put my microwave and toaster on. Possibly gonna paint it. Not sure. Got it for a steal at $100. Took 3 men to carry it in. Had a painter paint the kitchen, living, dining and hallways, etc. We have 13 ft. ceilings, so it was easier to just have him paint the ceilings and walls. Incredibly he only charged us $300 for all of it for labor (plus the cost of the paint) Add in a few small things and I think we have spent approximately $28,000, but that is including the hardwood flooring for all those other areas besides the kitchen and the painting elsewhere. We still have to do the backsplash.

We are going to also add a barn door to the pantry entrance off the laundry room. So a few more things to do.

We were lucky to have a slop sink in the laundry room to put a tub in to do dishes, and we have a cabinet area in the family room downstairs that we set up a temporary kitchen with microwave and the kitchen table there. Also an extra frig. downstairs.

Sounds like your area is much more high end than ours, but there are alot of things you can do to make it look more high end for less. Good luck on your journey!

• powermuffin
    hace 8 años

We DIYed everything including flooring, plumbing and electrical. We took out a wall and installed a support beam and we built the island. We used recycled materials as much as possible. We started in June and were finished by turkey day, cost was about $16,000 as I remember, which included all appliances. What I would be most wary about is follow through. It gets very tiresome spending every working hour on this project and that leads to wanting to make decisions too quickly, take short cuts, and settling for things that you would not normally consider. And of course there is the compromise factor. You must be able to make compromises between the two of you, and not battle over the small stuff. It is very stressful when you have to decide on EVERYTHING. I took two years to design the kitchen and we had every major decision made before we started, but still things came up that we didn't anticipate.

Be honest about what your skills are and how much work you are willing to do. If you can afford to take some of the stress out by hiring competent help, I say go for it.

Diane

• weedyacres
    hace 8 años

We DIY'd a kitchen, everything but the granite. Cabinets were purchased. Work included new tile flooring, some plumbing and electrical. It took one week to get a working kitchen (plywood counters, sink and appliances in), as we took Thanksgiving week off to blitz it. Another month of evening/weekend finishing trim work, waiting for counters, replacing a couple doors, etc. And the backsplash 9 months later. Total cost around $35,000 for mid-range stuff in 2007. Pics here

Current house kitchen will hopefully finally get done this weekend (doors & drawer fronts, backsplash), marking 2 years since we moved into the house with bare walls and subfloor for a kitchen. This took longer because I built the cabinets by hand (budget remodel) and work/life is busier than it was 8 years ago. Total cost $5000 for 100% DIY. This is much more modest: white appliances, laminate counters. From the time we moved in it was 3 weeks to a working kitchen (floors, appliances and a sink), and we've putzed along since then.

• User
    hace 8 años
  • Beth Jerome
    hace 8 años

We are on the home stretch of a diy kitchen at our shore house. We are doing it 100 percent ourselves, using ikea cabinets and butcher block counters. Farmhouse sink from ikea, faucet from Costco. Lighting and flooring from Home Depot. We are keeping the sink in the same place so plumbing isn't a big deal. Our appliances aren't too fancy, but we did get a counter depth fridge. We've been working on it since August, but it isn't our primary residence, so we aren't inconvenienced in the same way. We are spending about $8500. I'm pleased with how it's turning out.

• mushcreek
    hace 8 años

I built our kitchen, but it's hard to put a time frame on it, because I was building the entire house at the same time. We did without a full kitchen for about two years, at times just using hot plates and washing dishes in the bathtub!. It all depends upon what you can afford versus what you are willing to put up with.

Our kitchen is small by GW standards at 12' 6" X 14' 6", but has 32 drawers and two sinks. The total cost was about $8000, including all appliances and a tin ceiling. It took a LOT of creativity and hard work to meet this goal, but that's what we had to work with. In fact, I was shocked that we spent that much. I actually built everything from scratch- cabinets, drawers, counters, floor, ceiling, etc.

• beachem
    hace 8 años

We're a partial DIY due to budget constraints from the unexpected remodeling. We're at $80K already without cabinets. Most of that is labor costs. Repiping $15K, plumbing to upgrade gas line $3600, electrical several thousands, etc...

I'm recording every expenses but haven't had the heart to group the categories yet. The total so far is depressing enough. I did the flooring with the tile guy including cutting the tile, buttering while he lay the tiles. I then grout, seal and caulk the entire first floor myself.

Right now I'm in the middle of building and customizing cabinets.

• yeonassky
    hace 8 años

DIYing Kitchen here. Much of what we have is 2nd hand. New to us (2nd hand) fridge 400, package deal cabinets and DW $400. Flooring from one of DH's jobs, Free. Lighting was new $100. Stove was 2nd hand $60. Sub floor new, $50. under pad stuff $50. Wiring for outlets and lighting $200. We widened the kitchen entrance doorway ourselves with found wood but no other structural work was done. Insulation and drywall free.

Still to come counters and actually putting floor down. Painting the walls the final colour would be nice. :)

We always had a sink and counters. I just threw a board across the cabinets and used a laundry tub and a portable DW for prep and clean up. That helped to keep my sanity.

I'm not sure we're a good example of a DIY reno. Maybe a better example of a Never Ending Story. :)

• sumac
    hace 8 años

We are DIY's but we are also tradespeople. We did everything but the countertops (quartz). My advice is plan plan plan all winter. This forum and related (appliances/paint/etc/etc) are your friends and a font of information. Have an alternate kitchen set up somewhere outside the construction area. I did this in my garage but ended up using our travel trailer kitchen for all but washing dishes which I did in the garage setup.

If you plan well (don't skip the time it takes for a really good plan in your haste/excitement to get started) and I mean really well you should be able to do this with few snafus.

Price points vary by location but also what you invest in cabinets and appliances so comparing costs with others is pretty much a moot point. Do your homework.

There are a couple of pros here whom are so gracious with their advice and it is good; I should have thanked them sooner, but better late than never: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all for the wealth of information you provided for my kitchen remodel!

• practigal
    hace 8 años

Ichabod Crane is correct. Kitchen cabinets, and I would add countertops, are the biggest ripoff in the country. If you are willing to invest in a good wet saw you can even do the countertops. Good luck.

• Eric Freedman
    hace 8 años

Been awhile since I have posted here. I hired out for a small fee Habitat's for Humanity to remove and donate our old useable cabinets. This saved me a few days of demo and got me a nice tax deduction. I also hired a painter to paint my cabinets and a company to install the stone countertops. I did build my cabinets but ordered the doors online. We already had flooring that we liked and kept. My kitchen layout did not change at all from the original kitchen.

I did everything else myself - built the cabinets, installed electrical etc. We spent about $45K for everything - and we went fairly high end on appliances - Rachiele sink, Elux Double ovens, Capital Rangetop. We were without a kitchen for about 6-8 weeks as I recall. It took me about a year off and on to build everything, but didn't tear anything out until the cabinets were done.

Here is a link to my original reveal post.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2670674/diy-kitchen-reveal?n=123

Good luck on your project.

• jennbo
    hace 8 años

This was an excellent thread to get a glimpse into how many different ways there are to accomplish the same goal of a kitchen remodel. We hired a GC and have a project manager who comes by every day. The scope of our project is fairly large which means I'm solidly in the good/fast (aka expensive) part of the graphic above.

DH has been supportive, but he did comment that we have delayed our retirement by at least two years (uh, we're 20 years away from even thinkin' about it) - that was a depressing statement.

My justification on all this - if we were to sell our house & buy something new we'd pay a pretty penny in realtor fees and state excise taxes. I'm staying put and doubling down on my kitchen budget - refreshing the rest of the main level at the same time. (paint, floors, furniture). Appliances, cabinets, lighting, plumbing fixtures, and counters have put me in at ~ $75K. Add GC fees, interior construction, plumbing, electrical, hardwood, etc. I'm well into the 6 figures.

Back to the original question: I'm not afraid to get in there and do stuff. Over the years, I've tiled, sanded and stained interior doors, sanded and stained kitchen cabinets, drywall (install, mud, tape, texture), etc. But now, I just don't have time and it would take 10 years for me to finish even a tiny scale project.

If I had time and the project was a bit larger in scale, things I would definitely outsource: electrical - particularly to make sure you meet code requirements, plumbing if it is more than a simple linear move, solid surface fabrication, construction rough in (assuming your changing walls - want to keep house structurally safe). Other nice to outsource items would be drywall and trim paint (we are partial to oil paint on trim).

In a prior life, I did a DIY and it took about a year. We did not hire out anything and I probably spent < $4,000 on a .10' x 10' kitchen.

• New Maple doors (ordered from Canyon Creek); clear coat poly.
    • Sand and gel poly-stain (cherry) existing cabinet box
    • Replace exterior hinges with interior European style and add new door hardware. Hinges were definitely more than the knobs.
    • Replace drawer fronts with slabs of solid maple with clear coat poly. We purchased premium wood and had great hardware store that would plane down the maple to match cabinet door depth. The planer left burn marks on the maple and I was panicked - sanded out just fine.
    • New sink and faucet (HD special)
    • New range - felt like a splurge at the time, but it was a scratch & dent for 50% off.
    • Granite tile counter, purchased tile from granite importer (chose the cheapest thing I liked) - finished edge with 3/8" x 1.5" trim piece of maple.
    • Large format porcelain tile on floor - again cheapest thing I liked from a importers yard. It might have been stone (travertine), but I just can't remember.

Long comment. sorry for that. =)

• mabeldingeldine
    hace 8 años

We have DIYd many projects over the years, starting in childhood with DIY parents. We've done a lot of kitchen upgrades in our present home and are just finishing a whole house reno of a 1300 sq. ft. foreclosed ranch.

We gutted the kitchen and opened a load-bearing wall and added an LVL beam. I purchased 12+ feet of beautiful granite off CL and designed the kitchen to fit, ordering Diamond cabinets from Blue Box store with a helpful KD. We installed the cabinets (all base cabs) and floating shelves. We removed the used granite, moved it 50 miles, and reinstalled it, making 2 cuts. I paid the local granite place $200 to re-glue the seams, and you can barely see them.

We hired an electrician and plumbing/heating guy to replace the elec panel and move some wiring and replace 3 HW radiators. We intend to rent this house so preferred to have the elec and heating work on record as being done by licensed contractors. We had structural work done on part of the house and had that contractor also install the kitchen vent. Everything else in the kitchen we did ourselves.

As others have said above, it is a big time commitment and can put a strain on the relationship. DH and I are educators so we have 8 weeks in the summer free. We closed May 30 and literally spent every day but 2 working on the house. Since school started, it has been every weekend and many evenings. We just finished the new HW flooring and all that remains to do is baseboards and some other trim work, and the shower glass installed (a pro will do this).

Our budget was $50K and we are coming in slightly over due to additional necessary structural work. We still are speaking to one another and have even, unbelievably, started looking at the real estate ads again!

I agree with the others who said kitchen cabinets are a huge rip-off. So true! It galls me to spend so much on what is basically a semi-plywood box, but I went with mostly drawers or pullouts and was afraid to tackle the construction myself due to time constraints, but if I were to do this again, I will try and build the cabinets myself and hire out drywall and flooring instead.

IMO the biggest challenge is time. If you are a good planner and have good subs to work with the rest is manageable. It is NOT rocket science, but I recommend you watch every episode of This Old House you can find. In my dreams I'd hire the Silva Brothers for my house!

• Tara Tara
    hace 8 años

Well, our kitchen cost us less than $10k. Here's how it played out:

• Before demo, we took pictures and advertised existing cabinets for sale on craigslist
    • sold existing cabinets and countertop to a guy who rents houses; he updated the rental property kitchen with our cabinets and helped us demo, so he could take the cabinets right then. Cost: $0 (DIY; Made $400)
    • remaining demo: took down an existing 8ft wide pantry closet and pulled up vinyl flooring. Cost: free (DIY)
    • repaired/finished pantry wall after demo: $20 (DIY)
    • prepared floor for new porcelain tile. Cost: $20 (DIY)
    • Purchased and installed new tile floor, including mortar and grout from Lowes. Cost: $200 (DIY)
    • New cabinets purchased: $4500
    • Cabinet hardware purchased from Home Depot. Cost: $50
    • Cabinets and hardware were installed by installer from Lowes and another cabinet store, but as side-work on weekend to earn extra cash. Found out about him while purchasing cabinets, as another customer recommended him. Cost: $450
    • Granite purchase (included free sink) and installation. Cost: $1200
    • Sink faucet purchased from Home Depot. Cost: $100
    • Backsplash purchased and installed. Cost: $700 (DIY)
    • New OTR microwave. Cost: $450 (Other appliances were purchased less than a year earlier as they broke down one after the other and at time we were not even considering a kitchen remodel.)
    • New lighting (light over sink, light over kitchen table, and pendants over island). Cost: $400
    • Install lights by local electrician. Cost: $300
    • Replace/purchase chairs for kitchen table from craigslist. Cost: $25
    • Paint existing kitchen table and craigslist chairs to "match kitchen". Cost: $75 (DIY)

This was all done in about 1 month, but work didn't start until the cabinets arrived.

Only thing left to do is decide what color to paint the remaining wall space by kitchen table and across from island. Options: leave white, cream, tan, or a color from curtain/cushions.

• pippiep
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks, all! My husband really, really does not want to do this ourselves. We just don't have the time. I wish we did! As it is, if we hire the whole thing out, we'll be without a kitchen for ~5 weeks, which seems unbearable right now (we're still unpacking from the move!).

We got one quote just for cabinets, from Costco (someone suggested I get one from them because they draw up the 3D design)... 13K. I should have three quotes from KDs/GCs coming in this week or next, for the whole kitchen. I'm thinking the cabinets will be a lot more than 13K.

We already bought all new appliances two weeks ago, so that's not part of our budget.

• funkycamper
    hace 8 años

Just remember that the cost of the cabinets is only part of the expense and plan for it accordingly. I suggest at least planning for costs to be 10% higher, maybe even 20%. Its good to have contingency funds you end up not needing than to budget tightly and find out things cost more.

If your DH "really, really" doesn't want to do it, hire out. Everyone needs to buy into the work and longer-term disruption in a DIY remodel to make it work as stress-free as possible.

• pippiep
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

We have contingency funds that would allow us to double our budget... we just also have a number that we'd like to stay below. If it costs more than what we're willing to spend, we might not update the kitchen at this point. Or, we might keep looking until someone can come within our price range.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.