Houzz Logo Print
truuubluuu

Advice needed! Middle of remodel, getting transferred out of state!

truuubluuu
hace 8 años

I posted this to an old thread Anyone tired of their white subway tile backsplash yet? because
in my search online for "are white subway tiles outdated or still in
style" this was one of the results. I find it interesting that the thread in the link above was
started five years ago (when I was not even planning a remodel and
oblivious to the subway tile trend/look) and now that I am in the stage
of selecting my backsplash, it seems to me, that subway tile is still
very popular. However, having said that, I too wonder, as the original
poster, if you have tired of it, or if it's "on it's way out." (Other
than if you have a farmhouse style home or other type period home that
calls for subway tile)

I had a beautiful cement tile chosen and we have found out we are
being transferred (right after we are nearing the completion stage of
our two year remodel) and we may keep the house and let our two twenty
year old's rent it from us, or we might have to sell. So either way, I
am now making more neutral selections (and less expensive) in case we
sell now, or when we do sell in the future.

Would
you still choose white subway tile for your backsplash, especially
if you might have to sell in the next year? And if not, what other,
"neutral" kind of tile would you go for?

I am having a hard time letting go of my vision of my lovely little remodel, to just lowering expenditures, making this a neutral, but nice finished home. I can't leave it in the stage it's in, we have already invested too much to sell it now as a "needs work" house. Thank you!

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Design Alternatives
    hace 8 años

I still have clients asking for subway tile on the backsplash. But you might consider a different size than 3" x 6". I am seeing more companies coming out with unusual sizes like 2" x 6", 2" x 8" etc. Either way, this trend is still going to be around long enough I don't feel it will effect resale value.

truuubluuu agradeció a Design Alternatives
  • truuubluuu
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you both. I always love the look of subway tile as a backsplash when I see it, but I do feel it is used so often that it might be overused. But, I am joining the club now. I do like the idea of the 2" x 6" size! Maybe herringbone behind the stove?

• PRO
    Design Alternatives
    hace 8 años

Excellent, but don't forget some type of pencil liner tile or stone to separate the subway from the herringbone!

truuubluuu agradeció a Design Alternatives
  • Jennifer Dube
    hace 8 años

I think it's pretty safe, but I can't help but be reminded of bathrooms and yes subways every time I see it. I don't think I'd want it in my own kitchen. Unless I was suddenly being transferred and was going for resale value, since it is popular.

truuubluuu agradeció a Jennifer Dube
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

The smaller 2x4" mosaic subway tile is very nice.

Honey Polished Bricks Pattern Onyx Tiles, Single Sheet · Más información

Crema Marfil Polished Mesh-Mounted Marble Mosaic Tiles 2" x 4" · Más información

truuubluuu agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • User
    hace 8 años

I have had my white subway tile for over 6 years and would pick it again in a heart beat. My favorite thing in the kitchen;)

truuubluuu agradeció a User
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.