Houzz Logo Print
spiritfly50

Run Range Hood Into a Chimney?

Goce Ristov
hace 8 años

I'm in the middle of building my kitchen and I need to mount the range hood today. The nearest outside wall is about 2 meters on the right and I was thinking about running it through it. However as it turns out there is a lintel on the top of that wall and so the only option is to make the duct do a right turn and then slowly decrease at around 10% angle till the wall so it can get out below the lintel.

There is a second option though which I find more appealing. There is a nice and wide chimney which is not used by anything else. The issue is that to get to it I have to make two 90 degree turns and run the duct 6 meters.

Unfortunately these are the only two options for my range hood and I've already bought an expensive one. What do you think is better?

Comentarios (21)

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Can anyone chime in on this please? I really need to decide it fast. I'd be most grateful to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks!

• User
    hace 8 años

You cannot vent a cooking appliances into a chimney. That would be a fire hazard. The other is substandard as well. Engage a HVAC professional to look at your issues.

• how2girl
    hace 8 años
    If the chimney isn't used by anything else (non existent fireplace), why can't it be used for venting a rangehood?
  • User
    hace 8 años

What is your builder saying?

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Well the chimney is not being used by a fireplace or anything else and it won't be ever used for anything other than the range hood. So I think it's good to go, but what concerns me the most is the 6 meters horizontal duct till it comes to the chimney. Then the chimney is 7 meters high, but I suppose the natural airflow will take the hot air out as soon as it gets to the chimney. But those 6 meters horizontal duct is whats bothering me. What do you think about it?

• partim
    hace 8 años

I recall that the installation instructions for my range hood fan had specifications about the duct. I agree that you need a professional to have an opinion.

You are quite right to be concerned about the 90 degree turns and the length of the run. I have no knowledge about fire hazard, but what will happen if the air flow is not short and straight, is that the fan will simply not work. It will not pull the air out the way you want it to. Don't install until you are sure.

• User
    hace 8 años

It's the microscopic grease particulate accumulation inside the chimney that makes it undoable. You would need to line the chimney with smooth metal duct, and increase the CFM of the fan, as well as the capture and filtration area over the cooking zone.

You really need a Pro here. You aren't understanding the possibilities and the potential health and safety ramifications of your decisions.

• partim
    hace 8 años

I found this which gives a calculation of how strong your fan needs to be. In addition to the size of the stove, a longer length of pipe and more bends means that you need a stronger fan. http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-calculate-kitchen-range-hood-fan-size/

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

For every turn the duct work makes the higher CFM your hood needs to have a 6m run is way too long anyway. The grease will cool before exit and stay in there. I agree I would get an expert in to do this .

• User
    hace 8 años

Sounds like you need to move the range.

• PRO
    Pro Skill Construction
    hace 8 años

Without the heat of a fire, there is nothing to push the air up the chimney and out. It is not an acceptable vent.

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Okay guys thanks for the awesome recommendations. I will see if I can drill the upper wall and go outside the roof directly above the hood. It should be the best solution of all.

• User
    hace 8 años

Just so long as you understand, that several of us have advised you to get professional advice in your house, before starting work.

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes I am trying to actually, but I reside in a small town and most of the professionals are the "jack of all trades, master of none" type, so they suggest different kind of stuff. Some say chimney is ok, others say 10 degree downwards is fine, but they don't seem to have much experience with such cases to be trusted, or at least that's what I think based on their varied opinions.

• User
    hace 8 años

Do you have a photo of the wall where your range is, the chimney is, and where the window is? It's very hard for Houzzers to visualise otherwise.

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Here is the direct view of where the hood is going to be installed and the two options illustrated with colors.
    There goes the duct to the chimney
    And here it is where the duct will connect into the chimney. The navy blue big dot represents where a hole will be drilled. The navy blue arrows represent the direction of the chimney behind that wall.

Sorry about the amateurish mockup, I hope my photoshop skills are good enough to give you a picture of the situations. :)

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I haven't tried contacting them. Gorenje is my manufacturer for the hood. I will give them a call today and see what they will say. The instructions that came with the hood are very clear that the duct should either get out right behind on the outside wall or up through the roof directly vertically directly above the hood. No other scenario has been mentioned in it whatsoever.

No one has said that the 10 degree slope would be a problem, but I was a bit concerned since hot grease might get trapped in there or something. I would really like to hear anyone's advice on this 10 degree slope before I begin drilling up to get out to the roof. I really don't want to make holes that big for a range hood.

• how2girl
    hace 8 años
    I know they are nowhere near as effective but is there a possibility that your rangehood could be changed to a recirculating rangehood, where you use replaceable charcoal filters - no venting to outside required.
  • User
    hace 8 años

My range is on an external wall. The hood has a very short pipe.

• Goce Ristov
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I've decided to go up through the roof. It was not the most elegant solution, but since the chimney option was not gladly accepted by most of you guys, and I was afraid going down below the lintel so I can avoid grease accumulation in the duct(I was also afraid of noise from outside) it was the safest one to go with. Thanks to all of you for your opinions!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.