Houzz Logo Print
lindywelsby

What colour should we stucco our house?

lindywelsby
hace 8 años
We have dark oak coloured timbers, natural oak cedar shakes and BM Willow fascia. We were leaning toward BM Barnwood for the stucco but now think it is too grey. The shingles are called storm grey. The windows are sable and trimmed in the same Willow. Stucco will be covering all the rest of the house.....what do you suggest to pull it together. Thank you.

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 8 años

dark sage green

lindywelsby agradeció a flair lighting
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 8 años

oh and add lights to the garage.....

lindywelsby agradeció a flair lighting
  • PRO
    Denise Flower Design
    hace 8 años

By the looks of where your house is I think nature has provided a lot of green already so maybe consider a color outside that realm. I really like the color of the shingles above the garage could you pull a color out of there for the stucco?

Something like this color could also work not exactly grey, but close to that palette.

lindywelsby agradeció a Denise Flower Design
  • libradesigneye
    hace 8 años

With that high pitched dark gray roof, we need to talk about the long term here. You picked out a sort of european house profile, with rows of exposed of timber gable brackets and gable shake on a stucco house . . almost like a chalet you would find in the mountains of Switzerland - with a front garage that overwhelms the rest of the front elevation . . . looks like you really have some neat stuff going on out back . . and must have a killer view. .. .what is your garage door? I'm betting on a wood look metal door in a carriage style - definitely needs windows.

The cedar shingles on your house gables will naturally weather in a few years. But then you want to paint with something like that in mind for balance. Instead of worrying over cedar shake that will last forever and be a gorgeous weathered wood tone without too much maintenance (come out like barnwood), maybe do the upkeep on the structural elements - the timbers will always provide some echo of the deep brown willow trim color - just get deeper and more tannins over time, and they'll need a good protective coat every three to five years depending on your altitude and heat. If you do a wood garage door that will reinforce the windows and timbers too.

Still you are working with two neutrals - shades of gray and shades of brown. I can't recommend going to a light color on the house - you need at least as deep as a mid tone (dark on an exterior) to work with all the visual weight up above. You also must have a stone to work on the base of the columns going in - that shouldn't be overlooked when putting colors together. Ideally it would have some pale grays and and a little deep brown - maybe a river rock profile for your setting, or maybe a nice chunky overgrouted ashlar inspired element .. . again, tie into that massive roof form - but it also needs to have some gold or something of interest - all gray and brown won't look natural - real stone is more interesting. Earth slate might work though .. . if you got the right profile.

Stucco always looks best when it is a color from nature that you could find on a stone. Here, given the setting, maybe you want to think of this as your wolf in the forest house .. . it has a shaggy gray woof (couldn't help it - its late), with beautiful natural timbers. You need a deep nature color - not brown, not green, but camoflauge so the house feels like it belongs here. Test historic bm cromwell gray. It is an olive camo tone that isn't gray at all but is on the cool side - time tested.

It will provide contrast to all the trim but go with the elements you can't change. The barnwood would have been fine if this was a city house . . but the setting tells me it isn't, so think "camp" or "lake house" colors - give it camoflauge greens (look a gloucester sage - one tone up and you'll get a pretty good sense of how cromwell will look on an exterior - it is a gorgeous shade with lots of interest in shadows). Do take the trim color - willow (dark as a black iron shade . . . very low LRV) . . and mix it with a bit of slurry for all around the concrete foundation - you are going to need that to be darker than everything so this house stays grounded.

Please come back and post more pictures as you solve your challenge. Here's my suggestion - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cromwellgray

gloucester photo as promised on trim in this shot . . .http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/rooms-by-color/sunny-sophisticated-green-entry

When you get bored ten years in and want a change - consider staining your cedar shake gables a lighter shade to give contrast to those gorgeous gable jacks. Lets see what colors are hot then. These at least, are pretty timeless for camp tones. Add a red painted door and wowsa .. . or should I say woof !

lindywelsby agradeció a libradesigneye
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.