Houzz Logo Print
sharonsinbox

Light grey or dark grey kitchen cabinets?

sharonsinbox
hace 8 años
I'm so overwhelmed. I need to chose between dark grey and light grey kitchen cabinets and I just can't decide! It's a smaller kitchen and I am planning on white subway tile backsplash with Cabrera counters. The floors are light hardwood. Any suggestions would help! I have attached photos of the actual door samples and a fake mock up of the layout. Just note there is no island and a window above the sink. And a door opening to the right to the den and all open to the dining room on the left.
Please help!

Comentarios (52)

• sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I've selected the counter tops which I want to be Cabrera and the back splash white subway. With white grout. Any suggestions?
  • raineycarole
    hace 8 años
    Light grey
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    hace 8 años

I like the light gray.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

I vote for light gray. Will be lovely with white subway tile.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Use light grey grout & leave only 1/8 inch for between tiles. Bring in color when done in accents.

• dixieduckcanvas0525
    hace 8 años
    Darker grays tend to look like the interior of a battleship to me! Very blah. So I vote lighter. Can I ask the paint color names?
  • sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I haven't decided paint colors. Any suggestions?
  • m_brett
    hace 8 años
    Light grey, space is not huge so lighter the better.
  • essmith2
    hace 8 años
    Lighter would likely be better than darker.
  • stewy2you
    hace 8 años
    Light grey!
  • Jolene
    hace 8 años
    Light gray
  • jazzqui
    hace 8 años

I too am in a similar situation - I bought the light grey cabinets, and trying to decide on the flooring; I will be doing the white subway tile blacksplash too or something similar. Any suggestions on the flooring and wall paint colour?

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Light grey for the cabinets and dark grey for the island. They complement each other well. I also agree with the comment from Sandra that the grout line should not be more thatn an 1/8" think. If you are doing white subway tile I would use a very light grey grout as it will look cleaner over time.

• PRO
    Andrena Felger / In House Design Co.
    hace 8 años

I would go with the light grey - it will look great with Carrera marble and white subway tile. The white grout will also look very crisp and elegant. It will be beautiful!

• PRO
    The Sofa Company
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Light gray, will make the kitchen look bigger and could be contrastingly beautiful with black or white marble countertops.

• Hannah Rivera
    hace 8 años
    Light gray
  • sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Any suggestions on the grout color? White or light grey? With white subway tiles?
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I prefer very light grey almost white. At the end of the day it will look cleaner specially in areas close to the sink and range/cooktop. However I have done a lot of white. Also please make sure they install it staggered like subway tile.

• PRO
    Kitchen Design Partners, Inc.
    hace 8 años

It's a challenge to guide you without having talked to you, seen your style and your house. A critical question is how much natural light comes in and what direction your window faces. If you are low on natural light, go with the lighter grey. If you like the drama of a darker finish, you might prefer the darker grey. We always tell our clients that what you see at eye level (ie. wall cabinets) affects how you feel about the brightness of your kitchen. Carrera marble is beautiful with either finish. Marble needs to be cared for to prevent staining and etching. We assume you've looked into that. Grout choice is also very personal. Some people prefer when the grout blends with the tile, others prefer a contrast. It's hard to guide you without knowing more about your personal style. We hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

• sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    What is the best look for grey shaker cabinet knobs or pulls? Any ideas? I finally chose the cabinets now I'm lost on the hardware? I have attached the picture of the cabinet door.
  • essmith2
    hace 8 años
    I'd think something in a brushed silver for knobs and pulls.
  • PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    hace 8 años

which cabinets did you choose? I like the stainless steel bar pulls personally

• mcrkms
    hace 8 años

Sorry, everyone. I love the dark gray. There's a blue tone in it that gives them depth. Hands down, I'd choose that. I think the light gray will look washed out. You're obviously attracted to monotone (as am I). There are some gorgeous gentle grays in the Sherwin Williams collection. You'll just need to get a lighter counter. I picture light granite with light gray swirls.

• User
    hace 8 años

It's going to be so pretty either way. I like the light gray perimeter with dark gray island suggestion.

• charleee
    hace 8 años

I vote for both grays. Light on the top cabinets, dark on the bottom.

• CraigSabrina Aitchison
    hace 8 años

i am in a similar situation with greys. I love them. but want a two tone kitchen. thinking darker on uppers and lighter on lowers with light white/grey granite tops. having a debate whether or not to have the raised panel (not shown in photo) or not. My ceiling will have rough cedar beams installed also. Would like a stainless apron front sink but it goes into a corner. (is this a good or bad idea?) Hardware I think is also going to be a challenge also. love the cup pulls but not sure they go with the raised panel?

• User
    hace 8 años

@sharonsinbox, let us know, what did you finallly decide?

• Heather Macdonald
    hace 8 años
    Hey, people, read the comments! Sharon has chosen the cabinets and she doesn't have an island! Sharon, can you show us your choice?
  • User
    hace 8 años

Hey @hmacgarden, sharon does not indicate which color she chose.

• Ricky
    hace 8 años
    light gray
  • Rose L
    hace 8 años
    Here is a pic of my kitchen recently redone with grey cabinets, white subway bevelled tiles and dark slate floor. Small space but works!
  • tgb1
    hace 8 años

Rose - your kitchen looks fabulous! Is that a window film???

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    hace 8 años

Light grey.

• Zackery
    hace 8 años
    Go for the lighter grey, will make the area seem larger and it's easier to clean
  • sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Here's what my kitchen looks like completed. Ignore the mess!
    Light grey cabinets, white subway tile and Neolith counter tops!
  • Emily H
    hace 8 años

Love it and love your sink! Thank you so much for updating. It's so fantastic to see how things turn out.

• felizlady
    hace 8 años
    I think you mean Carrara? I think the light gray cabinets will be better in a smaller kitchen, and your choices should be beautiful together as long as the gray has no blue undertones.
  • User
    hace 8 años

I love it too! Very nice!

• sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Here is one more picture from another angle.
  • km kane
    hace 8 años
    Dark!
  • Rose L
    hace 8 años
    Tgb1 no window film as that was a exterior window until the sunroom was built. Looks out on to the top of armoire in sunroom
  • dcustode
    hace 8 años

Kitchen looks awesome! How do you like the Neolith installed? What is the cabinet brand?

• sharonsinbox
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The Neolith is amazing! Cabinets are prefab. Not sure who makes them.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Design Partners, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Very nice! Love the truck in the middle of the floor ;)

• luna
    hace 7 años

What was your color choice / name?

• piplabutis
    hace 6 años

Both are great choices, but you don't necessarily have to choose! Light uppers and dark lowers are always an option(or the other way around). If you like the single color style, choosing your color based on the wall color will help. If the walls are on the darker side, try choosing the lighter color and vise versa.

• Myrna Frassetto
    hace 6 años

Beautiful! Love the kitchen color!

• Linda Tran
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

What grout line did you use for your subway tiles? We are doing something similar but with the dark gray color cabinets.

• Amy Kerr
    hace 6 años

Hi Sharon

Can I ask what colour you have on the walls?

We are going for a mix of both :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.