Houzz Logo Print
alisondn

Do you know of a good contractor for bath remodel in th denver area?

alisondn
hace 8 años

Help

Comentarios (19)

• hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

Check the Find Pros tab at the top of the page.

• essmith2
    hace 8 años
    A very good way to find contractor recommendations is to ask your neighbors --especially in your development or resident Facebook page. You can ask who to avoid, too. Also, your city may have a list of contractors who have permits to work in your city. Don't confuse these with being "recommendations"; they are just "permit"
    alisondn agradeció a essmith2
  • essmith2
    hace 8 años
    Alison, I would guess that the HOUZZ list of professionals is just that--a list. The recommendations are from satisfied customers, which is fine, but they are not people who you or I may know. If you really want to get a qualified pro, you will need to do your homework to find out if they are licensed, bonded, and insured. Also check the Better Business Bureau for the pro's rating and complaint record/resolution. And to reiterate--your best source regarding quality is often from your own neighborhood.
    alisondn agradeció a essmith2
  • alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you Darcy for pointing out something that I had overlooked. We checked out the salesman but took his word on the contractor. Live and learn.

• GreenDesigns
    hace 8 años

Da Vinci Remodelers. http://www.davinciremodeling.net

They aren't cheap, but no one good will be. Fast. Good. Cheap. Pick two out of three.

• alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

They weren't cheap.

• GreenDesigns
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Like I said, no one who is good will be cheap. With the average cost of a middle of the road bathroom being 16K, and an upscale one at 40K, you may need to assess if your budget matches reality. Often the person searching for the cheap guys actually gets them---in all of their non permit pulling stud scorching crude glory.

• alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

We were in those guidelines . You need to work with someone that has one contract and listens to the homeowner. Unfortunately they do what they want

after you sign on the dotted line.

• GreenDesigns
    hace 8 años

Da Vinci does outstanding work and takes care of customers. You would be lucky to have him do any work for you. It's your loss if you prefer to not move forward.

• alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Good to know. I am sure you are very busy. Best of luck.

• GreenDesigns
    hace 8 años

You are very much mistaken if you are implying that I am Da Vinci. I know Paul through several forums and the posting of his work. As well as his generous offering of advice to others. He's a top notch guy.

If the recent communications and conspiracy theories of the last two days are an example of your interaction with contractors, then I suggest that you learn to DIY. No contractor will put up with that behavior no matter how good they are or how much money you want to pay. That only leaves the perfect storm of the crazies and the criminals.

alisondn agradeció a GreenDesigns
  • live_wire_oak
    hace 8 años

How did you pick the current contractors for your project? Did you view any of their work? Talk to past customers? Recommendations from family or friends? Did you lay out the scope of work in advance through design documents so that you received accurate bids with no change orders needed down the road?

I would second the recommendation for Da Vinci simply because of his online presence in many pro forums through the years. He's shown some great projects that he has accomplished.

That recommendation doesn't absolve you from doing the same due diligence on him as you would with anyone you were handing a 40K check to. And as any contractor will do with their customers as well. Contractors will check property records to see if you are the owner of record and the last selling price of the home. Many more will check to see if you've been embroiled in a dispute with a contractor or HOA or anyone else before they will give you a bid. It's a two way street. And no one wants to get run over by the clown car on that street.

• alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Dear Green Design I don't believe you know of my dealings with paul or anyone else. I believe the problem with some contractors is their ego. Is it standard practice to offer multiple contracts with reduced price to waive permits? Should the budget keep creeping up even as you decrease the scope of work? Should a contractor force a scope of work so they can put their pictures on HOUZZ? Should he tell you to report a reduced cost of project if you did pull a permit? Theres more but I think that's enough. Please tell me if that is standard practice in Colorado so I can greatly lower my expectations. As to the latest problems we checked we talked we accommodated their schedules as they blamed customers suppliers and other trades. It would benefit you to know both sides of the story before you blame the customer. Contractors are not always right . They need to learn to take responsibility too.

• alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Dear live wire we found all the companies on HOUZZ, hence misguided rant. I liked their "work" on HOUZZ. A picture does not show their process or work ethic. We trusted them and failed to follow through with references or a live look. We thought a store front would be more accountable than a home based business but we were proved wrong. All the projects were over 50K which I thought would be sufficient for what we needed. More than one company pushed not pulling a permit after the first visit. Is this really the way things are done in Colorado? We have never had so many problems .

• Pansy Cra
    hace 8 años
    I'm prepping to do a small bath Reno myself and contractors I've interviewed all became mute when I asked for licenses or true references. Some had egos similar to how Green came off and now I'm just getting more and more nervous to accept a contractor since the talk is far better than the work with most and I've experienced one contractor do a no-show to finish after he was paid. This contractor was 'highly' recommended by a reputable source in the business but after the source died, the contractor got in the business of doing shotty work and running with the money. I just want good work ethic, know-how, and accountability. My small cents.
    alisondn agradeció a Pansy Cra
  • surlefeuq
    hace 8 años
    Alisondn, there are good contractors in the Denver area, but there's so much work these days, they're in high demand. I think my contractor is great (I'm in Boulder county); however, they are so crazy busy, I know I have to be realistic with my expectations of when the work will begin and end. Having worked with them before, I know the final product will be with the wait. I strongly agree with the advice of asking friends and neighbors for references. For me, though, you get what you pay for. If a contractor offers a cheaper price if you pull the permits, he's probably not licensed, which is a red flag for me. If he only works one contract at a time, I wonder just how good he can be, especially in this market. A good contractor can work multiple contracts so long as he has good project management skills. In other words, a good contractor knows how to manage his business, which includes, managing his time, subs, and clients. Good luck and hang in there.
    alisondn agradeció a surlefeuq
  • alisondn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

To all Pros and Followers that have given your advice and support a I sincerely thank you. You have made a very trying time more tolerable. To those that have chosen to do otherwise I would like to tell you what the Douglass County Permit Office said," Not pulling a permit is illegal". I would like to remind all consumers to a ALWAYS pull a permit. There should be a better reporting agency in each county and through HOUZZ. If more people spoke out maybe things would change.

• PRO
    Colorado Basement Company
    hace 8 años

Alison. I am a local General Contractor that has built many basements and remodeled countless bathroom and homes. I'm happy to meet with you to discuss your project. Thank you. Dave@ColoradoBasementCO.com

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.