Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_r_jeffers

Need Contemporary TV Armoire

J J
hace 8 años

I just moved and need a contemporary style TV armoire, but one that also doesn't look totally out of place in a Victorian home or with our other furniture. I want the unit to enclose and hide my TV and associated media boxes, but don't want something overly massive and 80s looking (that seems to be what I am finding a lot of!). Our living room furniture includes a dark brown leather couch and white leather side chairs and a dark brown metal coffee and side table. The first pic below is the house when it was staged (prior to us buying it) to see the wall I have to put it on (where the armoire is below). The second pic is a (not very good) picture of our furniture at another location so you get a sense of the style. I have looked quite a few places and can't find anything that would work. Would welcome any and all opinions!

Comentarios (19)

• charleee
    hace 8 años

A contemporary console with the TV on the wall or on the console should work much better than an armoire.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Check out overstock.com. They have several armoires that would work in your home. I have 2 in my condo and even though they only accommodate a 39" TV it is well worth not having the huge elephant in the room. Beware that they require assembly, but prices are excellent. Read reviews and good luck.

• nimrod25
    hace 8 años

Susan, how in any world is an armoire smaller that a flat screen TV? Maybe it's that "new math" they've been teaching. ;)

• tgb1
    hace 8 años

I know that Ballard Designs has a slimmer armoire to hold a flat screen.

• miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    There has to be something out there. If you are trying to honor a Victorian home, I'd prefer an armoire than hanging a TV on the wall.
  • miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    Pottery Barn
  • Claire
    hace 8 años

Do you have a flat screen TV? If so, and you really do want to hide it, there are other creative options like framing it, hiding it behind a piece of art or panels that slide away from it. Pinterest has lots of ideas. Then you could get a smaller table/armoire/something to hide all the TV paraphernalia.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

@nimrod, I didn't say it was smaller I said it was better than having the ugly elephant in the room, the flat screen TV.

• anne dee
    hace 8 años

Have you considered a "lift cabinet" which also holds all the mechanisms etc. for the TV.

The ref pic one is $$$$ but you might be able to source at a more friendly price :-) if this idea interests you.

Prism Espresso XL TV Lift Cabinet · Más información

• C F
    hace 8 años

I have one of those lift cabinets where the TV rises out of it. We put it at the foot of the bed since I HATE visible TVs in bedrooms. If your budget allows, you could do one of those and have a low profile painting above it. Just throwing that out there.

• Maureen
    hace 8 años

If you can't find one that is contemporary enough, you could use a bookcase and add sliding doors to hide the tv.

Sliema Town House · Más información

• nimrod25
    hace 8 años

You referred to the TV as "huge elephant in the room" (your words not mine) yet an armoire is going to be a "huger elephant."

JJ is going to be using extremely contemporary/modern furniture in this room. A modern TV will simply disappear into the décor as part of the requisite décor of a modern living room.

• C F
    hace 8 años

I agree about standard TV armoires being elephants. In my opinion, they are far too heavy for anything but very traditional decor.

• PRO
    Huston & Company
    hace 8 años

We could definitely design and build an armoire for you. We'd work with you to design one that is exactly the right size and style for your home, and in the wood and finish that works best. I'm attaching a photo here of one example, but because we design it from 'the ground up' with you, the options are endless. This one is made of cherry, and a 3/4 height cabinet. You might want something darker, different size, style, etc. It would be built to last for generations.

• J J
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you all. Personally, I would much prefer to hide the TV than just keep it on the wall. We don't watch it that often, the living room is right as you come in the front door, and I think it looks "cleaner" without seeing it 24/7. That being said, I am trying to avoid a armoire that easily could become a monstrosity in size. miacometlady -- I love the pics you sent-- unfortunately, it looks like those particular styles have been discontinued or are no longer carried by Pottery Barn and Ballard. :( The lift cabinet is a great idea I hadn't thought of, but I am not sure I can justify the price. All ideas to keep considering as I search for a good piece-- thanks again for everyone's input.

• Maureen
    hace 8 años

Crate and Barrel has one you may like. It's modern, compact and a tv fits, but not sure the size of your tv. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/estilo-cabinet/s669813

• nimrod25
    hace 8 años

How about a mirror with a TV behind it?

Loretta Swit (M.A.S.H TV Show) 60' Smart Custom Mirror TV · Más información

Loretta Swit (M.A.S.H TV Show) 60' Smart Custom Mirror TV · Más información

http://framemytv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=109&CFID=4889211&CFTOKEN=68645358#.UJljSIW_evg

Maybe this would work for you.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    J J , try Horchow home , they have some very nice consoles. Also Hooker furniture. Found this at Horchow, will hide your tv and you can put an attractive piece underneath to hide all your stuff!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.