Houzz Logo Print
jabhome

Need help redesigning this mansard roof

jabhome
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

We are strongly considering the purchase of this home, but are not fans of this mansard roof. The home has been updated on the interior and the exterior landscaping, but we just can't get over the roof. How can we redesign it so that we do not have to fully replace it?

We are at the top of our budget for this home, so we do not have funds for a roof replacement. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Comentarios (14)

• nimrod25
    hace 8 años

To me the windows all look like after thoughts, most especially the upstairs right window. That upstairs window and the window below it might be changed to French doors with a Juliet type balcony. Usually the windows in a mansard roof are a big deal. This photo is an example of the direction you might take.

North Shore Residence · Más información
    Search mansard room here on Houzz and you'll see the importance the windows usually have with this type of roofline.

I would also paint the garage door brown to match the wood trim. By doing that your eyes will be drawn to the front door.

Best wishes!

jabhome agradeció a nimrod25
  • palimpsest
    hace 8 años

I think you could get a lot of mileage out of making the front gable window bigger:

• nimrod25
    hace 8 años

I found a photo with French doors and Juliet balcony that I had suggested.

Eclectic Estate · Más información

The shape is the same as the front door on the house you are looking at buying. I would do this with both of the upstairs windows.

I just noticed that the upstairs window on the right isn't centered over the downstairs window, I think that needs to be addressed with any changes you might make.

jabhome agradeció a nimrod25
  • jabhome
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

janedoe2012, I see where you are coming from! It's a tough call. It ticks most of our boxes for a home, with exception of this darn roof! This property has some wonderful assets such as awesome bay views from almost all rooms in the home. :) Could be a great investment if we can manage to get the roof sorted. It's a major eye sore and I think would impact the resale value.

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    hace 8 años

It's a problem for you so it will probably be a problem for resale. The price should reflect that.

That said, it's something very unique, and the farther we get from the era, the more interesting this look will become if it is in good maintenance. Ugly today = in vogue tomorrow.

Just look at what has happened with the mid-century stuff recently? It's completely exploded. In 2005 you would have been hard pressed to give-away 99% of the furniture that's going for top dollar now.

jabhome agradeció a Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • fox51
    hace 8 años
    If everything else is great, think about how often you see your own roof. It actually doesn't look bad to me and the exterior is very well kept.

Eventually if you need a new roof for age reasons, you can replace it then.
    jabhome agradeció a fox51
  • janedoe2012
    hace 8 años

Replacing the roof is not going to help - you would need to rebuild the roof. I think Mama Rachel is spot on (and you seem aware of this too) - the reason the house seems so great except for the roof is BECAUSE of the roof. Nobody else likes it either. Tough call! Any idea what the lot value alone is? There are long term upkeep and updating implications (good and bad) when you live in a potential tear down.

jabhome agradeció a janedoe2012
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

the problem is that it doesnt look like a mansard roof on a house, it looks like a mansard roof on a professional building. much boxier than we are used to looking at.

i'm sure some have no issue with it, barring a detailed architects plan and budget for replacement, i'd walk on by IF IT BOTHERS YOU.

jabhome agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • lmckuin
    hace 8 años

I usually can't stand a mansard roof but for some reason, the one on this house doesn't bother me nearly as much and I think I could live with it. I think if you are willing to embrace it for a few years you can either see if it grows on you or you can save up for the big remodeling bill it would take to redo it. Good luck deciding - those views look amazing and the house looks well cared for (in the few photos we see).

jabhome agradeció a lmckuin
  • nimrod25
    hace 8 años

Those are the million dollar views from that house. In light of the views, buy the house and in a few years find a top notch architect to do a major remodel focused on fixing the profile of the roof.

• PRO
    Bobby Sanders -- Sanders Design Build
    hace 7 años
    I personally like 1970s architecture, but typically not mansard rooflines. That being said, I really like the curb appeal of your home. It looks manicured and well kept (when I saw the view pictures, that would have sold me even if the front had been horrible, but it isn't.)What I like most about the front is what looks like a rooftop balcony over the garage, a small courtyard entry, large double door entry. One thing I might change is painting the garage door the same color as its surround. The light color makes it stand out but it is not a focal point. I might also paint the front doors an accent color. I don't know if orange is your thing, bright green might look good too. If you eventually remodel, I would go with a more modern flair, but only if the ROI would be worth it. I think the 70s architecture will be in vogue very soon. Look at where Midcentury is now vs ten years ago. Your home and everything it offers is beautiful in my opinion.
  • stephenandre
    hace 3 años

It's been 5 years. Did you end up doing anything with it? Curious. My house is of similar design. Looking for ideas as well. By the way there's a company called smpl_design_studio on Instagram. May give you some ideas. All the best. :)

• Angelita
    hace 3 años

Hi!
    Any updates on this one?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.