Houzz Logo Print
maria_brandt

Floor choice for high traffic stairs in the house.

Maria Brandt
hace 8 años

Our house has split levels, with an upstairs family and living room. We are installing hardwood floors in these rooms However for the stairs in the foyer, I am not sure that we want to use hardwood floors. This is because hardwood floors tend to be slippery. These stairs connect to the rooms and living area. The foyer has tile. What is your opinion about installing carpet on the stairs? and what kind of carpet would you use? I prefer a modern, ecletic style.

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 8 años

Hardwood stairs with a carpet runner. If you run carpet-only on the stairs you will want to have SOMETHING to tie it to...like upstairs hallway, or downstairs carpeted area. If you don't have either, then go the "classy" route and install the hardwood on the stairs and choose a pretty runner that will compliment your hardwood AND your tiles. Because it is a "runner" it can be considered an "accessory" = it doesn't "need" to have a match anywhere else (although it is a nice idea...but not necessary).

And the resale of the home is preserved because you can state you have hardwood under the carpet. Best of all possible worlds.

Maria Brandt agradeció a Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Aztec Carpet & Rug
    hace 8 años

Make sure and pick something with a pattern and go with darker tones rather than lighter... it will hide soiling and wear patterns more readily, and remember, most staircases make a statement in the home. Also, stairs receive the heaviest traffic in the home (most carpet mills void wear warranties on stairs for this reason) So, the darker, the better, if it is a heavily trafficked area in your home. I like putting a runner over the hard wood as well. It is very easy to replace when worn.

Maria Brandt agradeció a Aztec Carpet & Rug
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.