Houzz Logo Print
meredithburbank

Help with railing on top of wrought iron ballusters

meredithburbank
hace 8 años
We are refinishing our floors and stairs from a very natural stain to dark walnut. A few years ago we put in wrought iron ballusters which I love. Because we have a lot of railing and posts upstairs we are being told that stripping and refinishing the rails and posts to match the floors is cost prohibitive. I know that painting the rails and posts black is an option but I'm afraid it will take away from the beauty of the ballusters. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm sorry I don't have a good phot. Staining is in process and I can't get in the house. Thanks!

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Paint black.

• Ann
    hace 8 años

Another vote for painting the railing the white of your trim.

• acm
    hace 8 años

I agree with white -- it will let the metalwork show off by contrast, and you already have dark steps and floor, so matching the light trim feels most natural. Honestly, I'd paint the rise of each step white too, unless you're having them stained.

CLEAN TRADITIONAL · Más información

• meredithburbank
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks! Yes - we are painting the risers white. I had contemplated white rails, but with kids I fear them looking dirty all the time. Also, I'm having trouble finding a photo of white rails with black ballusters. Does anyone have an example? Thanks!
  • Margo
    hace 8 años

Why don't you paint one of the rails white and one black? Live with both a few days and you will know what you like. Then only one rail will need to be painted over;)

• Ann
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Meredith, I just went hunting for a Houzz pic of white railings with black metal balusters and, you're right, I couldn't find a single one. It seem like darn close to 100% of the pics had a stained railing.

• grapefruit1_ar
    hace 8 años

Paint them white.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 8 años

All of the photos I could find were either black railings or stained. Not a single white one in photos. The black looks very nice. Do a search on Houzz and you will see examples. The only white one with wrought iron balusters I can remember was a recent post - and it looked really bad, IMO. The homeowner ended up paying to have the railings stained and it looked soooooo much better. Can't find the post right now. You might be able to find it with some searching.

• Ann
    hace 8 años

Deborah, I know exactly the recent post you're thinking of and I just can't remember her name or find the discussion either!

• PRO
    Carpet Mill USA Inc.
    hace 8 años

the first is a photo of my own home, I love the contrast of iron balusters and stain or white railings. I did find a few photos with white railings for you

• PRO
    Haven Architecture
    hace 8 años

Depending on the species of wood for the top rail, it may not take paint to well. Some hardwoods have a very porous grain, and absorb paint like a sponge, instead of penetrating equally into the wood. Oak for instance is a very porous wood. Considering the variation of colors in the flooring, maybe adding a highlight color with a stain pen or marker to the railing might do the trick. You will have to ask your local paint store for recommendations.

• PRO
    Carpet Mill USA Inc.
    hace 8 años

heres some that are black on black

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.