Houzz Logo Print
bailey510

Thoughts on this dining table and chairs?

Skip Gilliam
hace 8 años
Posted pics of our dining room a few months back to get ideas for our 12x12 dining room. We got a lot of different ideas to think about. Just getting around to buying the pieces, what do you all think of these items together. We've tried three different tables and chairs so far. This is the only look that we've liked out of the three.

Comentarios (106)

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Soosun2 yes I have a few other questions lingering on houzz.
  • Cinderella
    hace 8 años
    The dresser on the side and the mirror don't really compleat the good choice of chairs and table. Try putting a small table there with a vase of flowers for some color
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Kaywestmass Thank you for the compliment on our home. I appreciate all the advice, we need all the help we can get.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 8 años

Personally, I love the table and wicker chairs. I'd suggest buying a few more of the wicker chairs and put the other chairs somewhere else. And then maybe just a floral arrangement for the center of the table and voila! Love your breakfast room/dining space!

• Ann
    hace 8 años

Seeing more of the home, the newest chairs seem a little ornate and feminine. I do see that they work, but I wonder if you might tire of them. They come on pretty strong compared to the rest of the more subdued items in the nearby areas. And, there's the light. As you pointed out, the chairs and light aren't great together. I do love the light, so a chair that works well with it might be better?

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The wicker and metal chairs just weren't comfortable at all so we decided to explore other options. Would swapping out the seat fabric to something like in the photo below help bring it together and compliment the light fixture? If not please share other fabrics colors that would work. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Ann
    hace 8 años

Yes, a fabric with black would definitely help tie in with the light fixture. The style still won't gel, but the color link would help. Do you like the chairs enough that you'd want to modify brand new chairs rather than just getting chairs that work the way they are? I didn't read through all the comments since the chair pic - are you getting lots of positive reviews of the new chairs?

• PRO
    Bon Brise Design, Inc.
    hace 8 años

If you are keeping the light fixture, it will need to tie
    into the lighter colors of the room which you can accomplish with a rug and
    different seat covers. For a coastal look, consider grounding the plan with a
    seagrass rug, banded in a color that ties in the lamp shade, like this:

Jaipur Natural Naturals Pattern Seagrass Ivory/Black, 5x8 Area Rug · Más información

• PRO
    Bon Brise Design, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Also, a hefty striped fabric on the chair seats that also incorporates the lamp shade color will contribute to the cohesiveness of the space. Lastly, consider a wall covering in a contemporary floral (or, some other non-geometric pattern) that has a bit of the lamp shade color in it as well. Here is a sample of fabric that might work well on the chairs.

Belgian Stripe Black White Striped Fabric · Más información

Good Luck!

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hard to find my light fixture in any photos, but I wanted to see it with the right look. Birch Hill Interior design used it in a house they did...beautiful house. Nice to see it tied in with an interior scheme.
  • kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Bailey, I think those lights are great.

It's fun to decorate a new space. But the self-imposed pressure to 'get it right' can be somewhat wearing.

If you're not comfortable with mixing-and-matching fabrics and textures. There are some good, high quality resources. For me, 'Calico Corners' is such a place. They do custom upholstery furniture, will sew curtains and pillows, and offer you assistance in preparing a personalized choice of fabrics and trims. You can also order some collections that are already compiled. For example, looking for casual with a touch of black offers 'French General Fabrics' (black, red, white, tan).

Their online database at calicocorner.com allows you to choose a variety of colour combinations. Have loved everything that I've purchased from them.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I have a "get it right" personality, usually stress over this type of stuff too much. The building process hasn't been an easy one, selections were stressful. Overall I feel we have made great choices so far. Houzz has been a big help
  • kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

Bailey,

If you would like to share an 'inspiration photo' or state a colour scheme, I'd be very glad to source some items for you.

• kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

"Calico Corners" have a few fabrics that would tie your black lighting fixtures and kitchen counter tops to the eating area's table & chairs, while enhaning your chosen beach décor.

Just few more suggestions. I'm not emotionally invested, so comment on the positive / negatives ! ;-)

"Inlet View" (discreet grey sailboat graphic) with "Malagna Orchid" (Yellow, Red, Green):

"Pestcara Black" (small bumblebees) with "Heteras Onyx":

"Vivid Stripe" -- Black, White, Red & Green / great for curtain panels -- with "Checkered Red":

"Geer" with "Stitched Block":

(Note: not the right shade of grey in "Stitched Block", but I love "Geer"):

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Not sure I have have just one inspiration photo, my idea book here on houzz is full of the photos. Most have a similar vibe or feel. I'll try to find one that sums up what we are shooting for.
  • beseaside
    hace 8 años

Bailey, you might want to go back through your idea book and move the photos that really speak to you for this house into a new idea book. If you are like me, I tend to mark a lot of great ideas then I go back to them and try to edit for cohesion. I am not seeing a lot of bright colors in your idea books - definitely more coastal with the neutrals, blue/greens. Define the story so the colors flow. I love black as an accent - a lamp, a piece of furniture, the border of a rug. Just pull more of this in. Also, go to cotedetexas.com and look at Joni Webb's rooms - they are neutral, feature lots of seagrass, great simple window treatments. She is a wizard at pulling the eye upward to make the ceilings look taller.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Now I think the mirror is too busy. What else would go well on the wall?
  • Ann
    hace 8 años

Bailey, did you like the mirror with the previous chairs? If you're thinking the light and mirror don't work with these chairs, are the chairs right? To be honest, I don't love these chairs and I like the light and mirror a lot. But, if you like the chairs better than the light and mirror, you're right to try to change the rest of the things work with the chairs.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    We like the chairs, they are really comfortable and have a unique look. Many houzz photos have the same chairs used over and over in different dining rooms with just a different fabric or different finish. I think we like these because they are a little different. Now we just have to get the chairs, light and table to work together somehow.
  • kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

Looked through the 'Houzz' album. Many dining rooms have prominent black chandeliers, yet there doesn't seem to be any concerted efforts to pull more black into the dining / living rooms.

There's a black framed chair:

Beach Style Dining Room · Más información

Black nail heads:

Le Selva Rustic Beach Residence · Más información

Frame on painting:

My Houzz: A Summer Beach House Charms and Welcomes · Más información

Don't see any other black in this frame:

Breakfast Room · Más información

• User
    hace 8 años
    Is the light black or a rubbed iron/ bronze? Looks great to me.
    You may want to change the mirror.
    Looks great.
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    SandyC the light fixture is bronze. I'm looking for another mirror now maybe an oyster shell mirror or driftwood.
  • kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

Too early in the process to think about candles, but these may be a consideration later:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/flicker-flameless-seashell-pillars/?cm_src=AutoSchRel

• kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

A few choices to consider:

Pottery Barn - 32'' - $254 - rope

Pier One - 31'' - $360 - cracked mother of pearl

Pier One - 36'' - $184 - rose wood

Pottery Barn - 48'' - $279 - drift wood stained

• kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

Pier One - 36'' - $160 - mango wood & rattan

Pier One - 36'' - $150 - Banana Plant

• kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

Here are a few living areas with subtle beach influences. Thought you might see an appealing window treatment, fabric, art, lamp, etc..

I think the inclusion of textures (wood, wicker, iron, stone) creates the interest and depth.

Don't know the origin of the print / geometric fabric in this first picture. Wonder if something with these tones might tie together your dining room table and chairs.

Russell Watercolor · Más información

Remodeled Jack Marchant Homes in Lafayette CA · Más información

Fire Places · Más información

Beach Style Living Room · Más información

• Lila
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I don't think you need to pull more black into the room; I think you need to pull out more white to match the chairs. Maybe a mirror with a white frame or white linen or cotton drapery panels. Your pieces are all beautiful and the accessories you choose going forward will tie them all together.

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Those are some great alternatives for mirrors. I'll try to swing by PO to see if they have any of those in stock to get a closer look.
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Found a nice dining room inspiration pic, great looking room.
  • Ann
    hace 8 años

That is a pretty room.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Bailey, love your inspiration photo. You could do similar custom window treatments with the iron drapery rod. Choose a beautiful heavy linen and your done!
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    How should we have the window treatments for the wall where the mirror is now? That wall has two windows, the other two walls have 4 windows each. Should we not have window treatments on the wall with only two windows, or should we do like a roman shade in the same material we use for the other two walls?
  • beseaside
    hace 8 años

Oh, Bailey, love, love, love your inspiration. The challenge is really that corner where the windows come together. One of my favorite sources for iron rods is Paseo Robles Ironworks. They ship anywhere and will do whatever size you need. Lots of options. I can definitely see curtains on the two walls with 4 windows and roman shades on the other, though I think we would all benefit from seeing those walls in detail - a sketch perhaps? You will have one amazingly beautiful room!

• User
    hace 8 años
    Hmmm, that is a dilemma, but I'm sure somebody here can come up with a solution. It would be nice to be able to have draperies on all windows, but I see your problem.
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Beseaside, I just took a look at the ironworks website. They have some really nice rods and mounts. I'll have to measure and see where the price comes in at.
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Had to put a little protection to the table, it darkened it up a bit. This is right after application so it may lighten up a bit more. We Had a glass ring stain from a spill after dinner the other day so we decided it would be best to give it a little protection. Here's a couple of photos. This flower arrangement is the only white decoration we had in the house, I added to the table to see if it helps bring in the white from the chairs. Hopefully the table isn't too dark for the chairs now...but we had to do it! Thoughts??
  • connieayres
    hace 8 años
    I like the dark and light combo, but the chairs seem to overwhelm the space a bit. Also a colorful rug with a cream background, definitely larger one.
  • Ann
    hace 8 años

I agree with connieayres, the dark and light is fine, but I'm really not crazy about the chairs. I think they overwhelm the space too. Maybe it's just the style I'm not fond of, but if I try to overlook my personal taste and view them objectively, they just kind of own the space and all the other things (all of which I like better) disappear or even worse, don't work anymore. For example, I love the mirror and the light, but neither work at all with the chairs.

• suezbell
    hace 8 años

Unless you're a snob and if you need six chairs, those all look fine. This doesn't look as if it is intended to be a "formal" dining room -- don't try to make it one.

Something you might consider is to put the two wicker chairs in the far corners when not using them. I very much like your round table and the round mirror -- if it were hanging on the wall -- hang it AFTER you try the two wicker chairs in the corner and after you try putting cabinet at another location.

I like the cabinet but it seems in the way where it is, especially with six chairs. What does the back of the cabinet look like? Would it work to put it in the foreground (near where the person taking the pic stood) at a right angle to the wall as a room divider either as is or if you add paneling to the back?

• Monica
    hace 8 años
    I think the smaller metal chairs could be more substantial.
  • tfswest
    hace 8 años

Something that will play an important role in making you happy with the room is a wall color to pull it all together. If you go with those original dark chairs, you would do well with a taupe or sand color. If you end up with light chairs, a breezy blue-green would be nice.

The darker table top may have been unintended, but it eases the contrast with the lighting fixture, and with the addition of dark seat cushions will tie it together, and dark will endure toddler well. Score!

As for lighting, your black shade and downward lighting is perfect in a dining room, because the social focus is inward on family and guests. Seeing them in reflected light against a shadowed wall is appealing. Add a dimmer switch for changes of mood.

The windows muntins set up a lot of pattern, so I wouldn't go with too aggressive a pattern on anything else.

There will be a lot of echo in the room with all that glass, louder than imaginable when the Terrible Twos arrive. A carpet will help calm the noise. The seagrass carpet would be beautiful, but I'd check on wear patterns
    of chair legs dragging on it constantly. It may prove impractical. Maybe you can find something as simple in a stronger pile.

Curtains will also be useful to dull the noise. For a breezy beachy feeling, consider straight panels of very light fabric, preferably linen or cotton, never nylon. A white-on-white dimity is a bit hard to find but is classic, as is white-on-white embroidery. Maybe a bit of color in a valence would be okay, but your woodwork is so handsome I think I would not cover it.

Such a pretty space to start with, you must be loving it already!

• kaywestmaas
    hace 8 años

Bailey, any updates from your dining room?

• Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Not yet, still waiting on 4 of the dining chairs to come in. Did go looking for a centerpiece to go on the table, yesterday though. Found this nice oyster shell piece with candle. Made by a local artist $325. Like it but not sure if I want to pay that much for it.
  • Skip Gilliam
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    We've been side tracked on our master bedroom.
  • beseaside
    hace 8 años

The fun of doing a house - sidetracking. The centerpiece is pretty and beauty, but oyster shells can cut and these arrangements can be delicate. You may be removing it from the table often to change things up. Just a consideration.

• PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    hace 8 años

Its funny to me that you got sidetracked. I do that too! Sometimes that's the best thing! If you kept your chairs - I love them. I would consider maybe a grey-ish linen upholstery?? Grey-ish velvet if you want a more formal look. Cover the baby's seat with plastic. I love the darker tone that the table ended up and think the chairs look great with it. I didn't like the tall white flower arrangement on the table but I do like that oyster shell thingy by the local artist. I echo the price concern though. You could do a couple of blue/seagreen glass jars if you feel you need something on the table. As for the mirror I think it has a more rustic/industrial vibe?? That may have worked well with those little black chairs you had at first. What about moving that to another room in the house? If you love it keep it! I would put a large neutral/watery toned abstract canvas in its place though. Something that evokes thoughts of the beach. If you WANT to do window treatments you could do some airy linen drapes but you don't have to. I personally wouldn't do a rug but if you want one a jute one would work. Can't wait to see pics of your finished space. Quite lovely already!

• deborah_a_vandegrift
    hace 8 años

Take a color you like spray paint end chairs one shade darker of color the paint chairs lighter. Robin egg blue is a great color. Walls champagne color. Sand table lightly then stain walnut color. 30 min job to spray paint and staining table. Place a pattern material seat cushion to compliment color.

• deborah_a_vandegrift
    hace 8 años

After you paint the chairs, place the two wicker along side of windows. It will frame windows and not give table a mixed look.

• PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    hace 7 años

I think with a round table it would look better to have the chairs at least all the same height if they don't match but preferably all matching - light color upholstered

• amhers104
    hace 6 años
    I know this is an old post but would love to see how your dining room turned out. I have a new home and also considering a round table similar to the one that you have - trying to go with a coastal beachy feel too.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.