Houzz Logo Print
jagwyre

Ugly brick fireplace

jagwyre
hace 11 años
What would you do with this ugly brick fireplace? I'm not opposed to brick, but the color is terrible!

Also, if you have suggestions of what to replace the couch with that would go with our two leather chairs, that would be great! ;)

Comentarios (131)

• lorrinda
    hace 11 años
    I think the design of your fireplace is fabulous! I love the bookcases too. I don't mind the brick, but not crazy about the herringbone pattern in the center. Perhaps a custom art piece to hide it? My husband would like to put a big old stag head there, but that's a whole different argument...
    If it's just the color you don't like, you can stain or color wash it. I like a previous suggestion of limestone if it will work with the flooring color.

We had an 80's brass fireplace surround similar to yours, and I wanted to change it immediately when we moved in but couldn't afford to at the time. My "temporary" fix was to paint over the brass with matte black Tremclad Heat Resistant Barbeque paint. 2 coats and it looks like wrought iron. I removed the glass doors and bought an iron standing firescreen. That was 10 years ago, we use our fireplace almost daily in the winter, and the paint shows no signs of wear at all. Glad I didn't spend that money!
  • PRO
    Toronto Designers
    hace 11 años
    if this was my house i would paint the whole fireplace a warm white like Benjamin Moore's Cloud White, and get a large scaled taupe slipcovered sloppy sofa to sit in front of it. i would replace the screen to be black for high-contrast and add some fluffy white pillows to the brown leather chairs... but that's my taste. not sure what yours is other than hating that brick.

but painting it will really bring out the quite lovely brick work design - so consider other colours too.
  • PRO
    slaah
    hace 11 años
    Jagwyer/its very nice chemeny i like it pant some of the bricks in dark blackclour and over the hole clour paint it withe black shadow ,change over head light focus the from down to up .chage the fier door from modern to oldtraditional on ,i hope this will give you atractive new loock
  • grannystefan
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Before going thru effort of stripping/painting brick, I suggest working with what you have. By adding color, pattern and texture, the brick becomes less emphatic but remains a handsome focal point. My suggestions would be:
    - Put doors on entire bookshelf areas, matching existing woodwork, eliminating clutter and making the recessed area the focal point.
    - The most important space in the room is the recessed area in your fireplace. Personally, I don't think a mirror would have the effect that a piece of art would. I think this piece should tie your whole room together and should reflect the people who live there. So I suggest you place a handsome, large piece of art in the recessed area of fireplace wall - (unframed canvas/ framed picture/ fabric art wall hanging/ that reflects your style and personality repeating colors of existing leather chairs and other color favorites you may want to add). *note: "chevron" pattern is really coming into its own in the design world and would add another element of interest by hinting at its existence by minimally framing out your art work in the recess. The existing chevron is a bit strong, but by covering up most of it, it becomes a dynamic part of the wall.
    - Replace fireplace screen with black wrought iron. Large wrought iron fireplace tools would be a handsome addition, either on a stand or hung on the brick.
    - Add long stationary side panel drapery to windows flanking fireplace in a textured/nubby neutral fabric a shade lighter or darker than the painted walls. If possible, extend panels beyond the window frame to allow maximum light. Repeat similar style on remaining windows.
    - Keep carpet, picking up a neutral tone for paint on walls and perhaps a darker toned, but neutral colored and textured sofa. ie., herringbone/ tweed.
    - Add a area rug in front of fireplace, grounding a conversation area, placing side chairs on each side of fireplace and pulling up the sofa closer to the conversation area.
    - Place a sofa table behind sofa. Two ottomans below sofa table could serve as additional seating and upholstered in a complimentary patterned fabric might add a splash of color, interest and personality when entering the room.
    - Adjust lighting, focus should be the recessed area.
    - Other lighting in the room (floor/table lamps) equally important in the ambiance and warmth of the room.
    - Add a handsome coffee table to the conversation area. Wrought iron and wood combination would add interest and repeat the fireplace screen material
    - Color, personality and pizazz to the room will come by adding fun pillows, a throw, and accessories.

If you decide to do something to the brick, all the same principles above would still apply.

Good Luck in creating a very handsome and welcoming room! I am excited for you.
  • Linda Lubbers
    hace 11 años
    I think there have been enough options given here. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Leanne Lovie
    hace 11 años
    I also love the fireplace, particularly the recessed portion with the zig zag. I think that the entire thing is just too busy for your taste. What I'd like to see is the recessed portion and the hearth left as is, the metal surround removed, and the main H shape painted a terracotta color or a nice muted orange/red/yellow that reflects one of the tones in the brick but is all one color. The idea is to make the fancy brickwork stand out but make it less busy. I'd then get some pillows or other accessories in that color to repeat it throughout the rest of the room. Your chairs are brown right? I'd get a sofa in a chocolate brown or earthy red tone to go with it.
  • PRO
    Loot Design House
    hace 11 años
    Painting all the brick white and keeping the brass is amazingly elegant and forward, but not toooooo much. you can layer with some great accessories, a large impactful painting and some garden stool s to connect back to with the color. The ultimate color will be something that is a small splash or 4/5th on the painting scale. Keep if tun, clean and edited and you are bound to have some amazing times there!
  • Barbara Aikens
    hace 11 años
    I think the brick color complements the warm tones and wood of the room. Why not try a huge piece of art to go over the diagonal bricks to break it up a bit.
  • cperricone
    hace 11 años
    I think we have the same chair, and yes, it's one of our favorite pieces too! I would definitely NOT change the bookcases - I think your arrangement is PERFECT - very warm and inviting. We recently bought a house near Chicago, and SO many houses had those sweeping, high brick fireplaces. For me it was an instant turn-off. Just personal choice bc I don't like brick that much. I would go with the previous idea of a raised wood panel over the fireplace to tie in with the rest of the trim in the room (a custom cabinet person can do that) and a big wood mantel. Then stone veneers over the brick. Good luck. i think it will be terrific.
  • PRO
    eagledzines / Linda Mayo
    hace 11 años
    Here is yet another idea (after sandblasting to get it back to it's original condition. You may not mind the brass covering if the brick wasn't yellow). The door color should compliment the beams and the rest of the woodwork.
  • PRO
    slaah
    hace 11 años
    Eaglledzines/ dark Nevey with black or with white paint i think this will be attractive
  • jagwyre
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Ok. I took more pictures of the surrounding area and I'm going to create a new discussion. I've heard some people mention painting the wood which is certainly an option. I'm going to post the pictures here and there and if you have time, take a look and let me know if you would in fact paint it... and I'm thinking if the wood was painted the fireplace may not be a big deal.
  • PRO
    slaah
    hace 11 años
    Jagwyre/why you are not try to pout some tutch from your side, ithink it will be better
  • PRO
    eagledzines / Linda Mayo
    hace 11 años
    What is your objective? Do you want to restore or update? What do you like about the room? What do you not like about the room?
  • kittyaudubon
    hace 11 años
    That's quite an impressive fireplace. Very striking. You'd be foolish to destroy it. Since I can only see a photo, I'll just say clean and restore to bring out the original beauty of the brick. Don' paint, rather use something that gets absorbed and evens out areas that are unsightly. Simplify everything around it, working with the existing scale. In other words, avoid clutter and small stuff. Someone said wide plank wood floors in front... good idea. The rug is dreary. With so many comments.... please be patient.
  • wantsideas
    hace 11 años
    I would NOT paint all that beautiful wood especially now that you can see it better from new pictures. Start with least intrusive suggestions about the fireplace and see how it changes it. Start small but really think about anything drastic.
  • rod handler
    hace 11 años
    It's not nearly as bad as the fan, the silly paneling on the beams, and the nubby carpet. First, throw out the insert and get some nice andirons. Don't be afraid to paint the woodwork, especially the beams, and paint the bricks as well. What's under the carpet? Almost any flooring (except shiny vinyl and cheap laminates) look better than w2w carpeting.
    If you want something more trad, get a nice piece of wood (like a salvaged 4X8), refinish it, cut it to the fireplace width, attach it above the row of horizontal bricks. Fill in above it with a big cut-to-size mirror. Definitely paint the ceiling molding.
    Whatever you do, don't put a flat-screen above the fireplace. Tacky!
  • tiburonjoan
    hace 11 años
    I like your fireplace. It's not that bad. But I have a similar situation I can relay. My mom had a very ugly fireplace made of this jagged, irregular stone reminiscent of styles from the '70s. Through a friend's reference, she found a stone and tile worker who suggested that rather than trying to cut off the stone, or paint it, to literally have it re-covered it new tiles. He first filled in the irregular stone surface with grout, and then on top of that, installed sleek, modern tiles in a much more subtle slate gray. The result was quite beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it to share! Good luck!
  • amartell
    hace 11 años
    The fireplace is gorgeous! Painting the cabinets surrounding it would be a better option.
  • groveraxle
    hace 11 años
    I have to admit to not reading all the comments, but I must weigh in. I'm guessing there is some history to this gorgeous house. The fireplace and woodwork are very distinctive, almost like a cross between craftsman and midcentury modern if such a thing were possible. I LOVE the yellow brick, and the paneling and cabinets, and if this were my house I would keep them just as they are. What I WOULD do is get all new furniture for the living room, something sleek and modern, and edit the shelves on either side of the fireplace to include one or two pieces of bold glass art.

This fireplace deserves to be showcased!
  • Laurie R
    hace 11 años
    So much depends on what you have to spend and how much effort and talent you have. If you need inexpensive try painting with Ralph Lauren River Rock paint in a natural stone color. It has a gritty sandy texture that looks and feels like brick rather than slick like paint can. You can paint the grout a gray if you want to take the time. Try mixing the two colors into varing shades and dab a few bricks to make it more natural looking. I have done this a couple of times and was pleased with each of them. Be careful with the color choice. Stay away from anything to blue or green that will look fake and you'll tire of it. I think the idea of covering the chevron brick with wood or sheetrock is a great idea as well as finding a oversize piece of art that takes over being the focal point. Next paint your screen black until you find the one you love. Don't forget light, an eyeball or art light to keep your art a prominant focus. Consider adding a simple but beefy mantle that would match your bookcases. Your fireplace is so massive it could stretch all the way across and be a 6x6 if you wanted. Good luck to you. I find that the problem areas often become my favorite spots after I've invested time and creativity into them.
  • darmark
    hace 11 años
    I don,t think your fireplace looks bad try adding a big beefy wood mantle to tie in with the wood color of your bookcases on either side of your fire place and a large painting in the alcove with some colors in it that would compliment the yellow cast of the bricks.That might take your eye away from only seeing the brick
  • PRO
    shericucc
    hace 11 años
    if it were my house i'd replace the tile and carpet with a contrasting warm tone wood floor. Add an area rug that tones down the yellow which is difficult to see and invest in large scale furniture to balance the fireplace. I agree with the posts about taking things out of the bookcase to create more negative space in this area. Getting this area right will have big impact. I too would put something taller and more impressive immediately in the alcove above the fireplace as many of the posts have said. Add side tables, simple, large coffee table (rustic), beefy lamps. Pull the chairs next to the fireplace in closer as well. Good luck. Would love to see the posts after you decide what to do with the space.
  • ispeakwhale
    hace 11 años
    If this were my home I would go all Jonathan Adler on it in a 70's early 80's vibe.

I think I'm slowly building a reputation for not being a conservative commenter!

I can't attach this image but if you go to:

http://jonathanadler.com/interior_design.php

then go to " Other Projects".

Then it's the 3rd image of 6 with gorgeous square leather sofas. The colors, everything. Yum!

Otherwise, paint it all, or resurface it in an updated stoned that people in 30 years will absolute hate and want to resurface. ;)
  • andrew778
    hace 11 años
    I actually agree with the others that overall it's a very nice brick fireplace... personally i don't care for the diagonal patterned brick in the middle recess, but if you installed a painted canvas to fill that middle section it could brighten up the space and be a great place to showcase art.
  • andrew778
    hace 11 años
    another way to go would be to modernize the look by putting a stone or tile veneer on top of the brick... that could look very nice also, and allow you to choose a lighter or more neutral color while keeping the original fireplace intact.
  • Danielle B
    hace 11 años
    The fireplace is striking; keep it as is, but all the wood paneling makes the room stuffy. Paint the wood instead; it looks old-fashioned. Also try different light bulbs. I have similar brick at the back of my house, and it is absolutely stunning when the sun sets.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    hace 11 años
    The brick pattern(( herringbone) in the insert is too busy and has a lot of dark brick. Try this before you leap. Cut a piece of plywood or drywall to the size of the insert, paint it a neutral color, set it in the insert (temporary) hang a picture and decide if this is enough. you may like it. One other thing. DO not put acid on the brick. It is dangerous and can destroy a lot of things. I am a Mason and I know from experience. Good luck to you.
  • cozyworld
    hace 11 años
    Please do NOT paint your woodwork. It is beautiful. Right now, it is the trend to have everything painted (have you noticed? EVERYTHING is painted white trim!) Eventually, that will go out of style again, and you will not be able to get your amazing woodwork back. It brings such warmth to your beautiful home!
  • Ron Kith
    hace 11 años
    Try cleaning the bricks with acid cleaners may be it throw some different colours you may like
  • Danielle B
    hace 11 años
    First of all, white paint never, ever goes out of style.
    Your space feels dark with all the wood. Having some natural materials in your decor adds warmth, but having it all over the place is not cozy, it's claustrophobic. What's good about the fireplace is that it's materials are concentrated in one area. But you can't escape that wood - wherever you look, you see it.
    My husband looked at your pictures this morning, and he thought it looks like the inside of a boat; that's a good thing if you are going for a nautical theme.
    In the end, you have to go with what you like. If you like the wood but not the fireplace or vice versa, you know what to do. If you feel guilty about the trees that were sacrificed to build the house or the mason who put so much work into building the fireplace, then I am sure that the materials can be salvaged and sold or donated.
  • cozyworld
    hace 11 años
    Once upon a time, wood was left in its natural state. So, yes, painting wood IS a trend, and trends come and go. I know I would never paint the woodwork in my '20s house.
  • gloria14l
    hace 11 años
    The color is magnificent. What surrounds it needs to fit. First, take out the really ugly fireplace screen and replace it with a curved black screen you can see the logs through. Remove the bookcases on the sides and add matching, tall statuary on each side holding a light that gives off atmospheric lighting on a dimmer. Replace the carpeting with dark wood floors with an oriental area rug that highlights the color of the brick. Paint the wood detailing in a medium charcoal gray throughout the room. You'll have a masterpiece. Don't mess with the color. Pick up the color of the brick in the muted shades of a table lamp and a floor lamp where lighting can enhance the room. You have the makings of a room you will never want to leave. Don't ruin this with nonsense. Take advantage of a magical opportunity to have a spectacular space. Make sure the furniture is cushy and lush with lots of creams and whites. This room is the opportunity of a lifetime! Take advantage of it.
  • PRO
    American Tile and Stone
    hace 11 años
    visit www.backsplashtogo.com for great selection.
  • jagwyre
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    While I love the original character of the house, the woodwork is in terrible shape. Painting is a much cheaper option than trying to restore everything that is broken. It sounds like the majority of you believe I should paint. If I do paint, should the walls and beams be the same color?
  • judybergman
    hace 11 años
    Yes, paint it all an off white. You presented it as "ugly" and will never rest until it's gone. The brick is too church like and commanding, but there is nothing sacred about it. It is just a wall.
  • Christine W
    hace 11 años
    Maybe it's me but that FP rocks! I would lose the box beams though because it gives the room a rail way termination station feeling. I just think the room needs tweaking a bit. The leather chairs need to be moved out to a man's study or a library. They are crazy masculine and overpowering. We cannot see the sofa but I would prefer to keep the sofa (the color if its gray is masculine enough) or even go with a large u shaped sectional. Then you could feminize the room just a tad with some lighter colored arm chairs. You need to take all that shelf stuff down and put up a more uniform grouping in a lighter color. Organize books. Cover books in white butchers paper. And maybe rethink all the wood side tables and wood chair legs that are going on.
  • PRO
    Gander Builders
    hace 11 años
    Put mesh on it and go over it with Eldarado Stone. You could transform it!
  • jkristamagee
    hace 11 años
    My last home had a brick fire place that the previous guy painted BLACK! Oh that's not the bad part- he then very carefully painted the mortar the cleanest white ever- IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! I actually covered it up myself and it turned out amazing! I didn't do anything to the brick for prep- I simply put on my shoes , drive to Columbia brick and picked out a mortar color that I liked. I chose a medium beige - I got a wheel barrow and mixed it up with water and spread it all over the brick from top to bottom - I did it messy. Some place thick and others so thin you could see the outline of the brick- it had an adobe type look in a way. It dried and I lived for 3 years and never had any chips or problems. It was simple and it was cheap and even better it was absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Everyone loved it. I am going to do it again to this home Bd my next and final home I will also smear my fireplace plus the brick on my covered front porch. It looks amazing warm elegant classy and cozy with dark woods my husband custom built an elegant and decorative mantel around it- just an Idea- it may not be your style - but just thought I might share the project that started off being a last resort for just a livable area and is now my most favorite look on a warm cozy fire place and front porches of brick homes.
  • cozyworld
    hace 11 años
    jkristamagee, this is exactly what I need to do on my own FP. It needs to be tuckpointed anyway, and the mortar is black. NOt sure if it originally was or is just soot, but it is awful.

Glad to know you did a DIY project-- I want the messy look, too.
  • Danielle B
    hace 11 años
    If you decide to paint the woodwork, I don't think it all has to be the same color. You could paint them in two shades of the same colour. It would actually probable yield interesting results.
  • Alene Korby
    hace 11 años
    Your fireplace has nice structure so I'd paint it and the bookcases a color that you love. The nice thing about painting the brick is that you can change it with trends. If it were mine, I would paint it a dark teal. Having said that, at a former home I had a very ugly fireplace and a carpenter made a veneer cap out of mahogany that literally slipped in place over the old one. He trimmed it nicely, and after it was stained, it looks great, but it cost a lot of money. If I had to do it over, I would now chose to paint because I don't think that I'd get back my investment.
  • PRO
    slaah
    hace 11 años
    I think danielle/ give you the best right paint it should have to be done
  • PRO
    slaah
    hace 11 años
    Iprefair braick to be paint in black paint and some sctared braicks paint in white
  • qam999
    hace 11 años
    The color of brick can be toned down or shifted with diluted paint in various colors, sponged on. I did this myself on my huge brick interior wall that had some random black-painted bricks. It was one of the easiest, fastest projects I ever did, as I was not looking for a thick coat of paint, just an intermittent wash to shift the tones.
  • PRO
    Bickhaus Homes
    hace 11 años
    Maybe you're not looking for a big project. But honestly, it's a huge amount of wasted square footage and makes the entire room feel dated. If it was a room in a house I loved, I'd tear the whole thing out, shelves and all. Then install a more streamline updated fireplace and mantel. I know it sounds crazy but look at all that space you'd gain. It's a monster in the room and does not add positive character. Love the fan ! Have fun.
  • PRO
    Triangle Brick Company
    hace 10 años
    I think your fireplace is beautiful! I would like to suggest removing the dated fireplace glass and replacing it with a decorative iron fireplace screen. As for the sofa, keep in mind the style of your chairs and find a sofa that compliments them. The current sofa is contemporary while the chairs are more traditional. Happy Decorating!
  • cperricone
    hace 9 años
    What did you wind up doing? Can you post photos?
  • PRO
    MarvellousMirrors
    hace 9 años
    How about adding a nice wall mirror? Mirrors can really brighten up space, create more visual space and add some much needed sparkle to the doom n gloom or certain rooms :)
  • PRO
    A Little Landscaping
    hace 9 años
    I would say it lacks definition. Use bluestone or another stone feature the horizontal ledges to give more depth and definition.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.