Houzz Logo Print
bobhenderson

Budget kitchen revamp ideas wanted

bobhenderson
hace 8 años

Firstly, if anyone has had success with painting laminated surfaces, I am interested. Our kitchen cupboards are over 30 years old, sturdy but a garish yellow. There is also a large pantry with laminated sides. A renovation will be expensive as removing all the laminated surfaces will require replastering etc. I am hoping for an acceptable short term solution while we work on other projects around the house. Secondly, the cedar kitchen windows are badly peeling and sun-stained. I don't want to paint them but would rather maintain the original look as the nearby family room has stained timber trim. I have had a lot of differing suggestions from professionals. If anyone (amateur) has actually tackled this job, I would appreciate your feedback. The windows are subject to epic levels of heat, cold and condensation so a very hard wearing product will be required.

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    mm+j architects
    hace 8 años

Use a good flatpack company for your kitchen

• Susanna
    hace 8 años

Yes paint .. paint... freshens the whole room

• PRO
    Nicole's Interior Creations
    hace 8 años

This is very cute and something like this would b totally fine until u decide to do a full Reno down the track! U could even go with a timber look bench,very cheap at BUNNINGS !!

• bobhenderson
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Many thanks for all the comments so far. I am leaning towards a full renovation within 12 months but I wanted to see what others thought. The rest of the house is quite good so an el cheapo fix may not be wise even in the short term. Nicole - I love your imaginative ideas and will give them some thought. The kitchen probably looks better in the photo than in real life. On the positive side, it is large and well lit, probably too much so for all white but I may be forced to bow to popular opinion! Thanks especially for putting up the photo. Has anyone used EZIKIT flat packs?

• slr027
    hace 8 años

hi, i did a revamp in our kitchen a few years ago. i used a product "white knight" tile and laminate paint. you also need to get their primer for under coat and the paint can be colored. i just went for a white. also painted the bench tops in black. i looks great and good wear. looked like a new kitchen. after painting benchtops you need to paint over a clear gloss sealer. this product is available at bunnings and masters. easy to use, surfaces must be cleaned very well before applying this paint. i also painted over our ugly brown and pictured tiles. it took me a full weekend to do entire kitchen. as far as windows go, you just lightly sand them back and restain and clear lacquer coat. you could even add new more modern door handles.

bobhenderson agradeció a slr027
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.