Houzz Logo Print
maralav

What kind laminate floor w/ lt oak cabinets/white appliances?

maralav
hace 8 años

Leaning towards hardwood or stone look? Can't decide color either. Appliances have s/s handles. Would gray look okay?

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Why have you decided on laminate floor for your kitchen? That would not be my first choice because, even though modern laminates are better at resisting water damage than they used to be, it is still an issue, and water should never be
    left standing on these floors; nor should
    you ever wet mop the floor to clean it. The finish is important, too, and you need to find one that is a little roughed up to avoid slipping.

Not what you asked, though. What is on the floor in the abutting room? If it is a wood floor, chose the stone look laminate.

• maralav
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for your input. Thought the laminate would be durable, easy care and not break the bank. Other suggestion? Still have carpet in the abutting rooms. Will be replacing with hardwood at some point, but kitchen floor is in desperate need of replacement, so wanted to do that first.

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

If you're looking for a tough wearing floor for your kitchen, consider luxury vinyl planks instead of laminate. Water resistant and they run about the same price as a laminate. You can get both stone and wood looks. Pictures of your space would be helpful in giving you more ideas.

• PRO
    Flooret
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I would 100% agree with what katinparadise says about considering vinyl. Especially in a kitchen, but really anywhere in your home, vinyl is a great alternative to laminate. It lasts longer, has a better health record (remember laminate was the culprit in the recent allegations against Lumber Liquidators), and is 100% water-proof. Laminate will swell up and buckle with any kind of moisture. Here are some grey options to give you an idea (you can click the link for more info on this particular collection):

Maltan Vinyl Plank · Más información

Nevis Vinyl Plank · Más información

Wychwood Vinyl Plank · Más información

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 8 años

If a quick, cheap replacement is required...then laminate works. BUT OWNER BEWARE!!! Many home owners have had to replace most/all of their kitchen installed laminate floor by year 3. Scratch resistance is not "durable" when it comes to kitchens.

Homeowners have discovered that steam from a dishwasher will cause laminates to bubble and warp by year 3 (partial replacement). Continuous "small splashes" have caused laminates to be beyond saving by year 7 (full replacement). And ice-makers have a long and glorious history of destroying laminate inside of 6 months (when fridges leak, they leak continously = new laminate required inside 1 year).

If you plan to replace the laminate in 3-5 years from today...then it doesn't matter what colour you get. Get the cheapest thing on the shelf ($0.89/sf = sale price) and install it. You will rip it out in 3-5 years anyways. You can always tell your guests: "It's only temporary. We couldn't live with the plywood subfloor anylonger". They will understand.

If you NEED MORE than 3 years out of this temporary floor, please look at something else.

• maralav
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Guess I'll give vinyl another look. Current floor is vinyl, though and I've never been really happy with it. After just a couple years, we started to notice small tears. difficulty keeping it looking clean and spots that just won't clean up no matter what we try. It is over 10 years old now, so maybe vinyl flooring has improved. Really want something easy to maintain. Thanks

• maralav
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you so much for all the great information!

• PRO
    Completely Floored
    hace 8 años

It is my pleasure :)

• PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    hace 8 años

Agree with @Completely Floored...

The common theme & relative factors will ALWAYS be price vs. product.

The public must realize that LOW cost and GOOD value very seldom come in the same package. It's a simple fact of life.

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

I think you're wise to give luxury vinyl planks a good look. I have laminate in my old house and wish it had been available when I replaced my floors 10 plus years ago. I've been looking at laminate to replace 1000 s.f. of carpet in my home in Florida but have decided that LVP is the way to go. 2 dogs, a cat, and some family members who aren't as diligent as I am about wiping up spills on the floor has made me realize that laminate, no matter how good the quality, is not what I need. Today's LVP is nothing like the vinyl you put in your kitchen 10 years ago. Good luck on your project!

• maralav
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all the great suggestions. LVP seems like the way to go

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.