Houzz Logo Print
raggedpoint

With a roof pitch of 4/12, is a small dormer a possibility? Thanks

raggedpoint
hace 8 años

Comentarios (17)

• Thierry
    hace 8 años

If you have corrugated metal roof, just make the dormer roof out of flat metal sheets (not corrugated) so that the snow pressure does not push the dormer structure out.

(Not sure it that was you concern though.)

• raggedpoint
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks tchatard. I will add that the roof is asphalt shingles and I'll be more specific about my query. With such a shallow pitch, is the addition of a dormer even a consideration?

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

Would the dormer be just for aesthetic purposes or to increase use of space upstairs?

raggedpoint agradeció a katinparadise
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

I'm certainly not a pro of any kind, but I suspect your roof isn't steep enough to do a dormer and have it look right. Here's an article on dormers for you:

Mill Pond House · Más información

raggedpoint agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • raggedpoint
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

katinparadise The purpose would be for additional space.

• raggedpoint
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for this. I had hoped for a different answer but felt it was likely a no go. I appreciate your professional opinion.

• PRO
    Steven Corley Randel, Architect
    hace 8 años

@raggedpoint, You're welcome. Wish I could say otherwise because dormers can be so great. I am sure there are other things that could be done if you want to add more to the scheme. SCR

raggedpoint agradeció a Steven Corley Randel, Architect
  • Cheryl Mesher
    hace 8 años

The space created would be useless because, with the pitch of the roof, you would not be able to walk into the created space, let alone up to the window. You would hit your head before you got close.

raggedpoint agradeció a Cheryl Mesher
  • Anna Rhees
    hace 8 años

I think you would need a full gable dormer for it to be of any use. A small dormer would look awkward and would not create much space either. Can you stand fully upright in the attic? It doesn't look to me like you have the head room for additional living space upstairs without more extensive remodeling. A dormer would look somewhat similar to the roof over your porch/entry.

raggedpoint agradeció a Anna Rhees
  • PRO
    Heartland Homes Construction Inc.
    hace 8 años

this can work. i put ice and water shield (like Grace) on the whole roof and the valleys.

then glue down the shingles

raggedpoint agradeció a Heartland Homes Construction Inc.
  • theiss5138
    hace 8 años

Consider removing the entire roof and making a Cape Cod with functional dormers. Wouldn't cost much more than trying to add a dormer to the existing roof. The existing ceiling can stay in place with the new floor spanning over top of it.

• raggedpoint
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

This pic is the ideal scenario I had envisioned for a dormer but accept that it's not a good fit re: SCRs comments. Thanks all for the input. I'll post add'l info and look forward to suggestions for other ways to increase space.

Ann Arbor Bungalow · Más información

• raggedpoint
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Increase living space in small bungalow with small lot & seasonal wet basement

• raggedpoint
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

• Najeebah
    hace 8 años
    your house looks great :) the blue and sky against the snow is brilliant
    raggedpoint agradeció a Najeebah
  • PRO
    Advanced House Plans
    hace 8 años

I would first get the basement water proofing fixed so you can get the mold out of the house. Mold is very dangerous. Look into waterproofing and drain tile around the perimeter. After this is fixed then finish the basement. Basements can make great spaces and will only help for resale if their is no water. Just my opinion. Thanks

raggedpoint agradeció a Advanced House Plans
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.