Houzz Logo Print
alafontant

HELP PLEASE - Did my Tiler handle the uneven ceiling correctly?

Alan Anthony
hace 8 años

Comentarios (41)

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Are tiles properly staggered as well? Should the line be in the middle of each tile?

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

is it possible to hit this at the bottom rather than the top. there is going to be a vanity on this wall

• hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

We've been through this with our backsplash and tiling hundreds of feet of floor. You want it to look right where your eye naturally goes to like the center. If that looks right, the uneven tiles at the top and bottom [chances are the bottom of your shower isn't perfectly level either] won't be noticed.

The thing we've found since we started renovated our house is that it isn't straight, square or level. My husband has had to work around it, and you can't tell so don't worry about your shower. It will look fine when it's done.

Alan Anthony agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks all, this a vanity wall that you face as you walk in the door. I just want to make sure that the tiling is being done professionally. I have all over tiling in another bathroom and do not have this issue.

• PRO
    Tile Plus, Inc.
    hace 8 años

OK here are my thoughts Alan:

The layout is decent but if we would have done it, the cuts at the top would have been a bit larger. They would have been the same size as the cuts at the floor. This would have balanced the wall out.

Hayleydaniels is right when she says the most important part is where your eye naturally flows to and fortunately the rest of your wall looks great.

Regards

Alan Anthony agradeció a Tile Plus, Inc.
  • intown123
    hace 8 años
    The uneven ceiling issue is the story of my life in a 120 year old house. I think you won't notice it eventually. I have floor to ceiling tiles in my master and there is a bit of that - when you're inspecting new work it will bother you more. Ditto on the staggering - the 50/50 brick is not recommended for those sized tiles.
  • Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Its the bottom tile, do you think have unstaggered would look better?

• nikawareham
    hace 8 años

That small top tile would drive me insane, however I'm assuming there will be lights and mirrors on the wall and you said a vanity so I doubt you will notice it as much.

• palimpsest
    hace 8 años

Use grout that matches the tile exactly.

• PRO
    Baypost Builders, Inc
    hace 8 años

what I would have done...and I do this quite often..is to cut the tiles straight...and have my plaster guy float out the ceiling at the left corner, about 2 ft out to feather..

• avamom2012
    hace 8 años

Baypoint, what does "float out the ceiling mean?"

• PRO
    Baypost Builders, Inc
    hace 8 años

your drywall sub, will snap a line from one corner to another and plaster the ceiling...in that area...and feather out so that the ceiling would appear level

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I am having them redone, thks for all the advice here!
  • PRO
    Judd Builders
    hace 8 años

You will be glad it's getting fixed or it's all you would notice when you walk in the room. Baypost Builders has the right idea. It's not a ton of work and well worth it.

• Gloria Dahme
    hace 8 años
    If there's going to be a vanity on this wall in the mirror I would put a frame surround around it or a crown molding at the top to hide the uneven tiles make the crown molding or the molding at least 7 inches wide this will also add character
  • rocketjcat
    hace 8 años
    It would really bother me that the tiles aren't staggered at the midpoint of the tile above it.
  • D DN
    hace 8 años
    Rocket that would cause lippage as described above.
  • nikawareham
    hace 8 años

They're staggered correctly.

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

• Depo
    hace 8 años
    Much better, glad he was able to re-do it!
  • sunnydrew
    hace 8 años
    Wow, what difference!
  • PRO
    Matt Cupan TileWorks
    hace 8 años

Having installed the tile vertically, with varying grout lines would have been better.

Or using an architectural facing for the top and bottom as a border would conceal the unlevel and add a nice detail.

When your framing/surfaces aren't square, an out of the ordinary design pattern will fix your problem.

But I think the tiler did the best he could given with what he had.

Congrats on him re-doing the work, hopefully you didn't have to pay much more for the change order.

Alan Anthony agradeció a Matt Cupan TileWorks
  • Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks all great information on this board. No cost for the change. He agreed that the tiles could be laid better.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

way better, congrats.

Alan Anthony agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Matt Cupan TileWorks
    hace 8 años

Whom did the tile?

• User
    hace 8 años

We had that exact problem re lippage with staggered at center and minimal line for grout. We had it redone using wider groutlines and it is looking great. The one third off set may be standard but it doesn't look as good as the one half like the OPs and like mine. The proof is in the photo.

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Am I being tile crazy? Feels like there more grout than tile.

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thoughts on gap by metal trip and minimal space for grout between tiles? Am I being too anal?

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Bump
  • Depo
    hace 8 años
    Alan, the floor of your shower looks great, but it agree that there seems to be too much of a gap between the wall tiles. Maybe it will look better once it's grouted, but right now, my eye focuses on the gaps and not the beautiful stone.
  • Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Was reassured with grout that it will look great, we'll see. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Mel Fair
    hace 5 años

HELP! This is my new tile job...Guys didn't hear me clearly, plus tile has a bad installation all over. What should I do? And any suggestions? Any thoughts?

• jkorican
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Alan Anthony...did you end up having them retile the whole wall? I’ve run into the same problem and am unsure about what to do.

• dani_m08
    hace 2 años

@Alan Anthony- I know this post is old - but I am wondering if you would share the manufacturer/name of the wall tile you used in the second shower? I’m helping my sister with selecting materials for her kitchen - and she is interested in maybe using that tile for her backsplash.

Also, did your tile setter install a vapor barrier behind the cement board on your shower walls? No surface waterproof membrane was used - my sister had this happen in her shower. She is now having issues with her niches. I’m wondering if you’ve had any water related issues with yours?

Thanks!

• felizlady
    hace 2 años

If the tile was installed true horizontally, he installed it correctly. There is nothing to do with the slanted ceiling unless you took it out and reframed it. Paint the grout at the ceiling to match the tile or the ceiling. Darker grout only emphasizes the angle.

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

@dani_m08 all the tiles in the bathroom were bought at porcelanosa, the picture in the thread has the sample chips we used. I no longer own this home, but my contractor did use a vapor barrier at install. I ended up using for about a 2 years before moving and had no issues at all.

• Alan Anthony
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@felizlady in thread there is a picture of the correction after redoing the wall. A drastic difference that we were happy with.

• dani_m08
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

THIS IS AN OLD POST - NO DESIGN HELP NEEDED

@Alan Anthony - thanks for the quick reply. You have a really great design style! My sister is extremely happy that I found this post!

Question - was it difficult to clean the wall tile due to the varied surface? Whenever anyone shows a tile with any sort of texture/surface variance in a shower, immediately people make comments about how difficult it will be to clean. Did you find that to be true?

Edit - I just realized that you showed the tile in a photo earlier in the thread that showed it was from Porcelanosa. I somehow missed it!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.