Houzz Logo Print
shelby_selenium

backyard driving me nuts

Shelby Selenium
hace 8 años

Hello! So, I have done what I can to improve my back yard, tilling and adding flower beds, making a stone patio out of some river rocks, but I have a very large, rectangular area that I have no clue what to do with. This is a rental, but Im planning on being here for a few years at minimum. With that being said, I dont want to spend a fortune, but Im willing to spend $300-$400 and put in a lot of work. Also, I live at an extremely high altitude (8500ft /Zones 3&4) in the Rocky Mountains, so my yard needs perennials that can withstand very cold, wet winters, and hot, dry, windy summers. So far Ive
had good luck with my veggies, sunflowers, and stonecrop. Succulents are
also doing well. My lavender doesnt seem completely happy but its not
dead either. I just dont know where to go from here. I feel like the space has potential but not sure what to do. Help!

(as you can see Im not 100% done here, but close!)

Comentarios (10)

• nasmijati
    hace 8 años

Here is a place to look for ideas for your altitude and US growing zone. Take from it what is useful. Best wishes for a delightful yard.

http://www.google.com/search?q=plants+for+zones+3-4+high+altitude&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Shelby Selenium agradeció a nasmijati
  • TanCalGal
    hace 8 años

Have you tried the Rocky Mtn garden group on "Dave's Garden" or tried to Google: Rocky Mtn gardens?

It looks like you have the flower bed areas already planted. Also you have the fire pit and the rock patio.

I love the rock patio BTW. Could you have the entire area rock patio?

Shelby Selenium agradeció a TanCalGal
  • Diane Land
    hace 8 años

From what I've read, hostas do well in high altitudes. They would give you quick coverage of some of your bare areas. Maybe use them along your fence as well.

• lefty47
    hace 8 años

HI -- Hostas would be great but they like more shade --- I don't see any shade . Check with your neighbors and see if they have any over growth plants you can trans-plant or they can share a bit of and that will save you some money . Peony , bleeding heart , bush roses .and so many more . Look up zone 3 perennials -- there are many. And there is also some small evergreens that will work for a small yard . Plant some Virginia creeper to cover some of the fence . That can usually be found in alleys and around the neighborhood for free and it is easy to share from someone and it is easy to start shoots from . It grows fast and turns red in the fall and comes back every year . You can fill in the empty spaces with a gravel or wood mulch or put down some sod .

Shelby Selenium agradeció a lefty47
  • Diane Land
    hace 8 años

Re hostas...found this online at http://gardening.about.com/od/perennials/qt/Sun_Hosta.htm

"Some hostas need a period of full sun to look and perform their best.

It is not recommended that any Hosta be in full sun all the time, but many Hostas are more vigorous and display their most vibrant colors if given at least some sun exposure.

A Quick Rule of Thumb

Hostas with yellow leaves or fragrant flowers can stand more sun than Hostas
    with green, blue or white leaves

• PRO
    Bedrock Remodeling & Building Inc
    hace 8 años

If you can create some shade Hostas can work for you. however some of them need some sun light. or look around and see whats doing good in your area.

you can use Virginia creeper to cover some areas of the fence .

Wood mulch or gravel can fill the empty space and highlight everything for you :)

Shelby Selenium agradeció a Bedrock Remodeling & Building Inc
  • PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    hace 8 años

How do you enjoy your leisure on your new terrace, when the immediate view, across the street, is so unpleasant?

Also, board fencing, where ever you cannot see the mountains, will protect your plants from some of those winds and provide a few hours of cooler shade.

Even open-spaced boards will filter the view, and you won't feel enclosed.

Perhaps you can deduct the fence from your rent, as it is a definite asset to the property value.

• MarleneM
    hace 8 años
    Hi, what are you planning for the main area? Are you planting grass? I think you need to clean that up and get rid of thw weeds first or they will spread into your garden beds. Since you are in the Rocky Mountains do you have access to cedar logs? Cedar sliced in circles could made a nice sidewalk from your patio area to the back gate with gravel in between them. I think you need some other elements other than stone. A water feature of some kind could be nice too, and can be done as a diy project. There are lots of examples on the web.
    I looked at what you saved in your ideabooks and see you like bright bold colours, so bring some of that flair to your backyard. Think outside the box and scour yard sales and second hand shops to see what you can reinvent with some bright coloured spray paint. Chain link fences aren't the most attractive, but it is easy to attach items to them. Use colour variation when selecting plants too.
    http://houzz.com/photos/5925578
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

At 8500 feet in zone 3\\\-4 'full sun' is far less than in say a 6 or 7 zone even with the more intense sun at that height. Lighter hosta either chartreus like Sum and Substance, Sum of it All will take full sun easily at this location. I think any thin leaved, variegated hosta and definitely fragrant / Plantaginea hosta (Stained Glass, Fragrant Bouquet, etc., etc., etc.), will do well in this location. Thick leaved, dark hosta are best suited for more shade and may struggle even in this location. Blue is a waxy surface on hosta or tree needles and will melt in a location too sunny. Left in full sun any blue hosta will be simply green very quickly. The green in hosta (or any plant) is chlorophyll and darker plants need (require) less sun. I am pretty sure (certain) 'white' hosta like White Feather would be far better off in full sun as the white leaves have little chlorophyll and would need more sunlight to survive.
    Watering is another factor that can extend darker, thicker leaved hosta into sunnier areas. How hot does it get in zone 3\\\-4 at 8500 feet? I would take a look at what plants others in your area are having success with as well to get ideas.

I find that I can keep my rock areas clean of debris and keep them from sinking by using a blower up and down them and around the edges.
    Jon

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.